Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short shifter myth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Short shifter myth? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys stick your short shifters then. I am not going to try to rationalize with a bunch of people who are uneducated about the internal workings of a transmission... Trying to talk to you guys is like a monkey ******* a football.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't jump to conclusions here junior. I've had my whole transmission apart enough times to understand how it works. I'm in the process of building a custom geared transmission, so don't try to pull the uneducated bullshit on me. I already explained what it does. You've done the same. Let it go, it's not the end of the world that everyone on Honda-Tech doesn't agree with you.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (JDCiv)

i have a short shifter in my sol and i have had no trouble the reason why they cause problems and grind is because people dont have coordination because shorter throws = faster footwork.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man, this discussion will go no where.. I swear, people WANT to believe that all it does it change a folcrum point. That is not all it does. As I have said 10 thousand times it will also SPEED UP THE RATE AT WHICH YOU SHIFT. How come this is so damn hard for you people to believe?

Go read this, try to educate yourself. And for gods sake, please do it with an open mind!

http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is based on all things being equal. the speed of the shift is only related to how fast you move your god damn arm. if you bang gears everywhere with a short shifter it will beat the **** out of the syncros and there will eventually be excess wear and damage. but if you dont most people will never have an issue with a short shifter.

IMO they are pointless anyway, it wont even save you one tenth a second and you are much more likley to misshift with one.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quote, originally posted by mantic6t9 »
I understand that. But even with a short shifter the "extra" stress is still only relative to how fast you are shifting.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not exactly. As I already said... Using a short shifter even at a "normal" rate would be the equivilant of me going around and shifting like a mad man 24/7 with my stock shifter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm that's exactly what i just said

Old 05-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (NA_95d16z6)

that road race shifter is the nastiest modification ever. So...a nissan truck has a more performance oriented shifter than a, say...integra or prelude ? wtf. a truck shifter...come on.

realtime convo:

daklown: http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm
jas17720 x: lol
jas17720 x: Mac Truck Performance
Old 05-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (daklown)

so those rally car drivers with their shifter up that high are gay too?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (hayabusa160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so those rally car drivers with their shifter up that high are gay too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same reason for the dash shifter placement in the new EP3. Less time with your hand off of the wheel between shifts. I damn near bought an EP3 because of the dash shifter.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (Ricey McRicerton)

yea i drove my friends around the street feels nice over there.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:02 PM

so my friend is a cheap bastard and didn't want to spend money money on a short shifter and just cut a couple inches off my stock shifter, is that going to screw up his tranny???

Old 05-09-2004, 06:11 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (EE_Chris)

It doesn't matter if you have short shifter or not you can damage the tranny with normal shifter. If you are going to shift crazy fast with normal shifter it will damage your synchros and eventually **** up your tranny even more. The short shifter will just make you shift fast easier. So don't rip thru gears like crazy unless you need too.

Shifter won't make your tranny blow up faster but you are. It's simple the faster you shift the more stress on the synchros.

Modified by ABK at 3:51 AM 5/10/2004
Old 05-09-2004, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (thrty8street)

Old 05-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not exactly. As I already said... Using a short shifter even at a "normal" rate would be the equivilant of me going around and shifting like a mad man 24/7 with my stock shifter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like i said before if you want to end this arguement so bad, we must do an experiment.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecaddict96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lets do a comparison here bud, hybrid you go slam every gear for the next 6 months and i'll keep driving normal with my short shifter for the next 6 months, we'll make a thread 6 months from now and you tell me how those lil tiny teeth are doing."</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short shifter myth? (VtecAddict96)

The short shifter will make your tranny last long if you are going to slam it thru gears like an idiot for no reason, give me tranny with regular shifter I will **** it up in less then a day I guarantee you that.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This crap is too funny. The shift lever is nothing more than that. Nothing is going to move any fatser and or slower than the persone controlling that lever. People are making it sound like the tranny wants and needs to shift sooner with a short shifter. In fact a longer throw requires less effort due to the leverage so in reality it should be "easier" to jam a longer shifter into gear tha with a shorter one. anyone ever try to loosen lugnuts with a wratchet and then try it with a 4 ft breaker bar? Which one removes the lug with less effort?
Old 05-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (upgraded)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by upgraded &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This crap is too funny. The shift lever is nothing more than that. Nothing is going to move any fatser and or slower than the persone controlling that lever. People are making it sound like the tranny wants and needs to shift sooner with a short shifter. In fact a longer throw requires less effort due to the leverage so in reality it should be "easier" to jam a longer shifter into gear tha with a shorter one. anyone ever try to loosen lugnuts with a wratchet and then try it with a 4 ft breaker bar? Which one removes the lug with less effort? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You sure are swift. You also forgot to ask which one puts more force on the nut you are trying to remove? Hence the whole purpose of using the longer bar... to get more leverage.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

ha, people are funny, i didnt read every post, but i put a skunk2 shifter in my car, ive had it for about 6 months, before it used to grind a tad bit in 2nd and in 3rd at high rpms, well after installing the shifter the 2nd gear got better i think.lol and i love the fell, now it goes in more smoothly. Those who say short shifters f*ck up trannies are wrong in my honest opinion, i believe like in a previous post stated "The user is the one that F*cks up the tranny.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's my experiences:

had the b&m for 70,000 miles and no problems at all.

then I switched to skunk2 dual bend for the next 25,000 miles and still not one problem. like other's have had said, it's not the shifter, it's driver who shifts it.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so those rally car drivers with their shifter up that high are gay too? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. the rally cars are not gay. see, i try to make my daily driven civic into a rally car. i just put my tallass shifter on there and rally off to school. then i tell everyone im a rally racer, they wont argue with me, cause the shifter proves it. i NEED a tall shifter in my street driven civic. i like having to work around the 1 1/2 foot ****. maybe itll match my G-tech in both purpose, not to mention how useful it is...

this coming from the same guy who hooked fish tank parts up to keyboard cleaner to trick people into thinking he had nawwzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 05-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

You sure are swift. You also forgot to ask which one puts more force on the nut you are trying to remove? Hence the whole purpose of using the longer bar... to get more leverage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, but the fulcrum on the nuts IS at the nut.
all the longer bar on the short shifter does is move it more distance with less distance moved on the shifter. its just like ******* plus sizing your tires and its relationship to your speedo.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is some funny ****, it's like saying: "those racing pedals made me **** up my ______". fill in the blank to serve whatever myth. I have a B&M shortshifter in my car now, it did require a little change in my driving behavior at first. No grinds or anything. My guess as to why some people are having problems is something along the lines of people thinking they need to drive more aggresively all the time with a shortshifter. So if Joe Racer thinks he needs to slam the gears everytime cuz the shortshifter is so quick then he would surely put more stress on his tranny. but i think he would still mess up his tranny if he drove the same way with a regular shifter.

and by the way, my B&M has great shift feel imo. much better than the stock shifter. with this i propose that this thread be put to rest. it is really not worth it.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Help we my pennies

GREAT QUESTION
Old 05-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (daklown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes, but the fulcrum on the nuts IS at the nut.
all the longer bar on the short shifter does is move it more distance with less distance moved on the shifter. its just like ******* plus sizing your tires and its relationship to your speedo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The fulcrum on the nuts is at the nuts? Huh? You lost me... Must be the same mind that thinks the shifter doesn't add any more stress to the tranny.. Oh well. This is so lame its not worth responding to anymore.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:52 PM

when i put my short shifter in it would bite a little in third, which it didnt do before i put it in
Old 05-10-2004, 05:13 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will a short shifter reduce the life of the clutch?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:43 PM

Hybrid93Eg: Your wrong as ****. What you say is about it making you change gears faster is retarded as hell. Because thats only true at the same forearm speed. Dont you even understand the inner workings of the human body and mind?

your out of your mind if you think people are driving around shifting as FAST AS THEY CAN, ALL THE TIME!!! Thats crazy... when your not racing, your shifting slow anyway. There is that point where the transmission just feels that it wants to go in... when your **** lines up. (Pardon the hardcore terminology... but im sure you know so much about transmissions that you know what im saying).

So yea... when your **** lines up... it just feels like she wants to shift, and in you go into gear. When your racing, its nice to have a short throw... because at X forearm speed and Z angle at Y momentum... you get into gear faster and you straight up dont give a **** if its grinding or not...

but when your just chillen cruising on the street, your X Y and Z all line up well and you shift when it wants to go in.. no rush.

got all that?

I got stock shifter, BTW

Quick Reply: Short shifter myth?