Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short shifter

What short shifters out there are a great buy. Some sites you cant really trust because you dont know who made the product.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:55 AM

Default Re: short shifter (acme)

there are a more cons than it's pros.

DC, neuspeed, B&M etc.

try thepartstrader, i haven't seen a groupbuy on any ss really, try and check.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (jdmillusion)

What are the pros and cons then?
Old 09-11-2002, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some you may want to consider would be Skunk 2, C's, LSR has a decent kit...it all depends - I suggest staying away from Neuspeed "crap" in a honda/acura, for the money, you can buy a nice shifter and have enough money left over to get a nice ****!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a B&M and its great.. but i would also suggest while you are down there swap out the bushings... it made a HUGE differance when i did... i suggest energy suspension bushings.. they are like 6 bucks, and change the whole feel of the shifter..
Old 09-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (oc_civic)

i have the skunk 2 short shifter w/ neuspeed bushings
Old 09-11-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: short shifter

Hi Used the DC, but now I used the C's.

The DC is a shorter unit and is made out of billet Alloy. The problem, I Found is that it is a bit light for my liking and the material is a bit too soft.
After a while I found that it was feeling knotchy, so decided to take it out to have the ball regreased and found that it was seriously warn. I swapped it for a C's, NOTE: C's do not make one for a EK4 so got the EK9 one and this is slightly wider! as I happen to be a Spoon Agent, I ordered the toughen gear linkage for EK9 which fitted snugly and now shifting is short and yet feels perfectly weighted. Beware. C's cost a bit . My recomendation. if you got the money, use my setup. if not I think the Skunk looks like a good unit as the material is better than DC.

Ricardo
Old 09-11-2002, 08:16 AM

Default Re: short shifter (oc_civic)

i have a B&M and its great.. but i would also suggest while you are down there swap out the bushings... it made a HUGE differance when i did... i suggest energy suspension bushings.. they are like 6 bucks, and change the whole feel of the shifter..
where did u get the bushings?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (95redcivicex)

a friend of mine whos dad owns an auto parts store... it is in PA
why whats up?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:53 AM

Default Re: short shifter (DarkKnight[DMD])

my "duo"(buddy of mine) had his. he has always been an aggressive driver w/ or w/o the ss, until he balded out the synchros, and there goes smoke under the carriage. it just actually depends on how you can handle it. i'd say ss are good, to prevent overthrow, at the same token. think about it's disadvantages. i recommend getting bushings with it, and with that combo, you'll be fine...

my 02 cents
Old 09-11-2002, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just be careful with the kind of short shifter you buy. Some of the really cheap alluminum ones are just that "cheap", and are prone to breaking under aggressive driving.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:51 AM

Default Re: short shifter (96jdmcoupe)

I've had the B&M short shifter in my car for about 4 months now and I like it. It's heavy as hell and I think it has a lifetime warranty but I forget. Anyway, it seems pretty tough. Get the bushings too, I didn't and now I've gotta take all that crap apart again so save yourself the trouble.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a skunk 2 single bend with a skunk2 shift **** and neuspeed bushings .... made a huge differance....... only problems are its not as low as i would have liked it to be and i cant get the shift **** to screw all the way down on the shifter.......those damn 3 threads bug the **** out of me.....
Old 09-12-2002, 03:53 AM
HT White Ops

Skunk2
Old 09-12-2002, 03:55 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: short shifter (k4ff1n3)

...those damn 3 threads bug the **** out of me...
Remove the **** and grind the top 3 or 4 threads off the shifter. When you put the **** back on - yaba daba doo...
Old 09-12-2002, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (ahki)

I swapped it for a C's, NOTE: C's do not make one for a EK4 so got the EK9 one and this is slightly wider! as I happen to be a Spoon Agent, I ordered the toughen gear linkage for EK9 which fitted snugly and now shifting is short and yet feels perfectly weighted.

Ricardo
FYI - C's actually makes a shifter for the EK4/DC2...I know cause I am using it

I changed over to the DC2 (ITR) shift rod also...nice upgrade in itself

Also, you guys ought to try Mugen or Spoon bushings; expensive, but not TOO stiff like ES and Prothane, and not too soft like stock.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:37 AM

Default Re: short shifter (kengs)

I swapped it for a C's, NOTE: C's do not make one for a EK4 so got the EK9 one and this is slightly wider! as I happen to be a Spoon Agent, I ordered the toughen gear linkage for EK9 which fitted snugly and now shifting is short and yet feels perfectly weighted.

Ricardo

I changed over to the DC2 (ITR) shift rod also...nice upgrade in itself

Also, you guys ought to try Mugen or Spoon bushings; expensive, but not TOO stiff like ES and Prothane, and not too soft like stock.
Funny enough I called them, and they would not sell me one for an EK4 that's why I got one for EK9, this was lil' over a year ago.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny enough I called them, and they would not sell me one for an EK4 that's why I got one for EK9, this was lil' over a year ago.
That is strange, because I bought my C's in 2000; one of my first mods

The EK9 version wasn't available at the time.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:18 AM

Regardless of whether they made it or not for whatever reason it no longer matters, the situation was I did not get one for an EK4 but was sold one for a EK9 instead, So good on you for getting one for the EK4.

However C's is a darn good Short shift and would recommend it to anyone, whether it is for a EK4/EK9/DC2

[Modified by ahki, 3:19 PM 9/12/2002]
Old 09-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Regardless of whether they made it or not for whatever reason it no longer matters, the situation was I did not get one for an EK4 but was sold one for a EK9 instead, So good on you for getting one for the EK4.

However C's is a darn good Short shift and would recommend it to anyone, whether it is for a EK4/EK9/DC2
Agreed

[Modified by kengs, 12:57 PM 9/12/2002]
Old 09-12-2002, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get a good ole B&M short shifter (or neuspeed or DC)....thats what I have. Got it from Auto Zone...some parts store (discount auto??) for about 50-60 bucks.
It didn't come with the bushings though...I recommend getting one with a bushings kit...I have had my short shifter about a year or so and I am finally getting poly bushings...
Old 09-12-2002, 09:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: short shifter (civicgirl114)

I must say that the thing about messing up synchros because of a short shifter is:

<FONT COLOR="brown">BULLSHIT</FONT>

Regardless of how short the throw is, the shift forks in the tranny still travel the SAME amount. I don't care what anyone says. It's not because of the shifter, but maybe the SHIFTER (as in the driver) because they think that it's an F1 car because of the shorter throws so they really cram the **** and shift really hard, etc.

I'm really hard on trannies. I have been known on occasion to shift really, really quick but also hard - stock or short shifter won't matter.

All you're doing is changing the leverage point for the shifter and nothing more. The insides of the tranny keep the shifter from going too far.

This is one MYTH that has always bugged the **** out of me. Many old school mechanics will try to use that excuse because they don't like "new-fangled" parts and such.

Now as far as which one?

The Skunk2 is the most solid readily available/chep shifter, but it sits WAY high.

The DC is what I have and I love it. Bearings in the bottom (Skunk2 has them too) make the shifting really smooth and it's throws are really nice. It is lighter and weaker, but it sits really good and works great.

C's?

I'm sure it's good and all, but how much money are you talking and how hard are they to obtain?
Old 09-12-2002, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (B18C5-EH2)

short shifter w/neuspeed bushings
Old 09-12-2002, 10:45 AM

Default Re: short shifter (BlackDeuceCoupe)

can you order the bushings online with the short shifters? and whats the difference between a single and dual bend?

seems like the majority likes skunk2
Old 09-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: short shifter (B18C5-EH2)

I must say that the thing about messing up synchros because of a short shifter is:

<FONT COLOR="brown">BULLSHIT</FONT>

Regardless of how short the throw is, the shift forks in the tranny still travel the SAME amount. I don't care what anyone says. It's not because of the shifter, but maybe the SHIFTER (as in the driver) because they think that it's an F1 car because of the shorter throws so they really cram the **** and shift really hard, etc.

I'm really hard on trannies. I have been known on occasion to shift really, really quick but also hard - stock or short shifter won't matter.

All you're doing is changing the leverage point for the shifter and nothing more. The insides of the tranny keep the shifter from going too far.

This is one MYTH that has always bugged the **** out of me. Many old school mechanics will try to use that excuse because they don't like "new-fangled" parts and such.

Now as far as which one?

The Skunk2 is the most solid readily available/chep shifter, but it sits WAY high.

The DC is what I have and I love it. Bearings in the bottom (Skunk2 has them too) make the shifting really smooth and it's throws are really nice. It is lighter and weaker, but it sits really good and works great.

C's?

I'm sure it's good and all, but how much money are you talking and how hard are they to obtain?
its the speed of wich the syncros engage now how hard it shifts or anything like that

a short shifter can work great and last forever if your GENTLE but these riceboys that buy neuspeed or autozone shifters and shift as fast as they can all the time, it destroys the syncros.

if you shift a shorty at the same speed you shift a stock shifter, the syncros are forced to engage faster.

thats how it CAN damage syncros

im using a stock shifter with a DC **** and it is a shirt *** throw with no worries

Quick Reply: short shifter