Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short shifter

Which is better... a single ben or dual bend short shifter?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter

just my .02 but I have run everything from crap ebay to dual bend b&m. I liked the dual bend more based on smoothness and feel
Old 02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

skunk 2 dual bend is where its at
Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Paulie Pesos
x2
Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Paulie Pesos
x3
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont really have the funds for a skunk2.. but im open for donations =]. I oredered a dual bend off of ebay... go ahead flame me. all i can lose is 13$
Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22
I dont really have the funds for a skunk2.. but im open for donations =]. I oredered a dual bend off of ebay... go ahead flame me. all i can lose is 13$
Quite alright by me. My current shifter was $8 shipped and has been fine by me, previous owner of the linkage cut the shifter (and thus no threads) because it was in a del sol. Problem solved!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get ready to punch your dash when your shifter snaps in half.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pepperinyoureye
get ready to punch your dash when your shifter snaps in half.
truth. i know someone who snapped his ebay shifter goin into second. anyway...i have a fidanza short shifter. i have found them for like $30 off the web. i like mine but some dipshit told me it was for a civic/integra but the integra is a little longer on the bottom so my shifter and linkage is hitting my exhaust and its hard as hell to get into 5th gear and reverse sometimes. other than that i like it.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all i can lose is 13$
like i said.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i can lose is 13$
...and the convenience of not being stuck in whatever gear you last shifted into until you get home.

Dual bend is better IMO. Puts the shift **** closer to you, has shorter shift throw usually than single bend, and even looks cooler, lol.

I have a Buddy Club one, and it's amazing.

If you were looking to save money you should have bought Blox or B&M.
I can tell you probably don't care as much about your car having quality work done on it as you like to think you do.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know where your buying your b&m and blox shifters but they are both more than three times the price as the shifter i bought. And i care about quality work on my car. Just because it was shipped from ebay doesnt mean its crap. Ive heard stories about them breaking or w/e but im willing to give it a shot.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had my ebay short shifter for about three years, and the only problems with it ive had was scratching it when I dropped my shift linkage to do a swap. One friend of mine ran a ebay short shifter for years and never experienced any problems either, Ive never heard of any horror stories until now about them braking. To me, saying "Dude i have a B&M short shifter" is the equivalent of saying "Dude i just spend like 200 bucks on this ****** righteous AEM intake." Go ahead and flame, your the ones spending too much money on something stupid like a short shifter.

Buy an ebay short shifter then spend the rest of the money on beer and black flag records. Problem solved.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just cut my brothers OEM shifter so I can have a TRUE short shifter.

My brother is currently running one of those short throw shifters from ebay and he loves it.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Ya the one guy was right, the difference is that the dual-bend brings the **** closer to you than the single bend, and everyone likes to palm a **** once in a while.

If your hardcore, check out the Fastline Perfmance long shifter, its the **** for road racing/autox if your into that. http://www.fastlineperformance.com/shifter.htm
Old 02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a single and its fine
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know where your buying your b&m and blox shifters but they are both more than three times the price as the shifter i bought. And i care about quality work on my car. Just because it was shipped from ebay doesnt mean its crap. Ive heard stories about them breaking or w/e but im willing to give it a shot.
it's 3 times the price because it has research and development going into it. would you rather have a product that has been developed by engineers, or would you rather have one from some guy who welds stuff?

another thing is that the ebay shifters are aluminum. the name brand ones are steel. steel is a little heavier and makes your shifting more positive. also, the obvious, it makes the shifter stronger.

Originally Posted by Arthas
I just cut my brothers OEM shifter so I can have a TRUE short shifter.
that doesn't make it a short shifter. maybe literally a SHORT shifter, but it doesn't do anything to help you.

what makes it a short throw shifter is a longer distance between the shifter ball and the linkage.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by everythingwentblack
Ive had my ebay short shifter for about three years, and the only problems with it ive had was scratching it when I dropped my shift linkage to do a swap. One friend of mine ran a ebay short shifter for years and never experienced any problems either, Ive never heard of any horror stories until now about them braking. To me, saying "Dude i have a B&M short shifter" is the equivalent of saying "Dude i just spend like 200 bucks on this ****** righteous AEM intake." Go ahead and flame, your the ones spending too much money on something stupid like a short shifter.

and i rest my case.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slo_hatch
truth. i know someone who snapped his ebay shifter goin into second. anyway...i have a fidanza short shifter. i have found them for like $30 off the web. i like mine but some dipshit told me it was for a civic/integra but the integra is a little longer on the bottom so my shifter and linkage is hitting my exhaust and its hard as hell to get into 5th gear and reverse sometimes. other than that i like it.
my friend has the same problem with his b18c in his eg
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by freddybaby5
my friend has the same problem with his b18c in his eg
yeah it pissed me off cuz the guy told me they were exactly the same...apparently they are not. lol but i plan on buying a fidanza short throw for a CIVIC this time and selling the one for the teg. lol when i first put it in (it was my first short shifter i have ever had) i was like dude im takin this **** out...i cant even get it into 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear and i cant use reverse. i guess where i have driven it so much, i probably have bent the exhaust to make it work. lol
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah it pissed me off cuz the guy told me they were exactly the same...apparently they are not. lol but i plan on buying a fidanza short throw for a CIVIC this time and selling the one for the teg. lol when i first put it in (it was my first short shifter i have ever had) i was like dude im takin this **** out...i cant even get it into 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear and i cant use reverse. i guess where i have driven it so much, i probably have bent the exhaust to make it work. lol
hahahahahaah atleast you have 1st and 2nd thats the ones you wanna have you lucky you didnt have 3,4,5 and not 1,2
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO i used to hate rollin with him cause he'd have to take it to a high rpm to go from 2nd to 4th cause his 3rd ocasionally wouldnt go in, oh... and when we parked we had to push his hatch bakk cause his reverse was screwed up too hahahaha...
Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by freddybaby5
LMAO i used to hate rollin with him cause he'd have to take it to a high rpm to go from 2nd to 4th cause his 3rd ocasionally wouldnt go in, oh... and when we parked we had to push his hatch bakk cause his reverse was screwed up too hahahaha...
yea make sure yall dont park the car downhill and cant go foward yall are gonna have a hard time pushing it up a hill
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahaha yeah u def will break the shifter man...save your dough and get a skunk2 man...u dont wanna mess wih parts like that cuz its a pain jus to even replace em yano ??
Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bossm
hahahahahaah atleast you have 1st and 2nd thats the ones you wanna have you lucky you didnt have 3,4,5 and not 1,2
well i can get it in all gears now...it just takes some finesse. lol but it has worked its way in there...but still i need to get an actual civic short shifter. lol

Quick Reply: short shifter