Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short shifter

hey jus wonderin wehther any of u guys could post a pic of either a single bend or a double bend skunk2 short shifter....i am going to purchase one but i wanted a visual reference as to how it sits in the car before i decided which to go with....thanx and if u hav ne opinions feel free to share them.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Electrician

Look at your stock shifter, that's a single bend. A dual bend has another bend pointing straight up. A no-bend is a straight shifter.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Electrician

I'll make it easier.

Single-bend:

Dual-bend:

No bend: (this is mine)

Old 11-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

Is there any difference in the bends? What is the purpose of each?
Old 11-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

Just shifter position and how you personally like them IMHO. I have a dual bend and like it. I liked my single bend stock shifter.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

i love my B&M straight one, best mod for the price i'd say
Old 11-25-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (sohcMONSTER)

short shifters are t3h gheyness. If you really need to cut your stock one down an inch for purely aesthetic reasons. They have proven to be very stressfull on transmissions
Old 11-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sans)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">short shifters are t3h gheyness. If you really need to cut your stock one down an inch for purely aesthetic reasons. They have proven to be very stressfull on transmissions</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. This has been debated time and time agian, and the truth of the matter is that drivers kill transmissions, not shifters. If you slam through the gear in 1 second with the stock shifter then you may need to up the time to 1.5 seconds while shifting with a short shifter to keep the engagement speed the same, but bottom line is that short shifters don't hurt synchros or damage transmissions. I"ve had one for 2 years now and had 0 problems.

EDIT: As soon as I can get into WTDR, I'll post a comparison picture of my Evasive unit beside the stock unit.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Here is my intstall of a dual bend Skunk2..............

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=944804
Old 11-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong. This has been debated time and time agian, and the truth of the matter is that drivers kill transmissions, not shifters. If you slam through the gear in 1 second with the stock shifter then you may need to up the time to 1.5 seconds while shifting with a short shifter to keep the engagement speed the same, but bottom line is that short shifters don't hurt synchros or damage transmissions. I"ve had one for 2 years now and had 0 problems.

EDIT: As soon as I can get into WTDR, I'll post a comparison picture of my Evasive unit beside the stock unit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-25-2004, 09:12 PM
TTM

Default Re: (TeStUdO)

how did the shifter end up feeling?
I bought some polyurathane bushings (exact ones you had) and i am going to install them sometime over the next couple days, how well would you say they improved driving?
Old 11-26-2004, 08:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EDIT: As soon as I can get into WTDR, I'll post a comparison picture of my Evasive unit beside the stock unit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If it does'nt reduce shifting times, IT IS AN AESTHETIC MOD

If it does reduce shifting time, IT IS STRESSFULL ON THE TRANSMISSION

proof : realtime race car over 175K spent = stock shifter

Old 11-26-2004, 08:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">short shifters are t3h gheyness. If you really need to cut your stock one down an inch for purely aesthetic reasons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well cutting the shifter just makes it shorter but its not a short shifter. cutting them is t3h gheyness y0
Old 11-26-2004, 10:19 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG.

Shifting gears quickly is hard on the synchros whether you're using a stock shifter or short shifter. Rev matching will help reduce the stress. Shift a short shifter or stock shifter normally and there's no additional wear on the tranny. Short shifters reduce the throws and are designed to give a shifter a more positive feel with engagement and gear selection eliminating or reducing the vagueness of a stock shifter...that's their main purpose.

Race cars tend to use shifters that fit the driver position better rather than being specifically a short or stock style shifter. Their "positive" shifting ability comes more from the shift linkage design rather than the shifter itself. In an everyday street car, it's easier to change the shifter for more positive feel than it is to try and change whole linkages.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

While they may use the stock shifter, some people like the way the short shifters feel. Just because it doesn't make shifts faster doesn't make it hard on the transmission. Who cares what a race car has on it? I'm sure that car has seats that would destory your back if you rode in them for long periods of time, no interior and more one off parts than you have total mods on your car. The "best" shifter for racing is the C's tall shifter, as it doesn't require you to take your hands very far from the steering wheel, so that you can keep both hands on the wheel (similar to the concept used in the EP3).

I got my short shifter for 30 dollars. I don't care if it doesn't make my car any faster. It does make the shift feel better to me. I don't care who likes it. I do care if people spread false information. A short shifter reduces the amount of throw you have between gears by changing the position of the bottom of the shifter. Cutting the top off of the shifter just places the shift **** lower, and further away from the steering wheel. By your own argument, your idea of cutting the shifter would make the shifter WORSE than an off the shelf short shifter.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

i think nobody is WRONG... its all opinion... opinions aren't wrong... but... my opinion is that they have potential to be stressfull on trans. if the driver is making them hard... i personally want something that is gonna be the quickest through...
Old 11-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">short shifters are t3h gheyness. If you really need to cut your stock one down an inch for purely aesthetic reasons. They have proven to be very stressfull on transmissions</TD></TR></TABLE>

You = t3h g4yn3ss

Short shifters DO NOT place stress on transmissions, shifting like Paul Walker even going down the street to the supermarket does. I've had mine for a couple months now, no problems.

The bend is only for position. I like my B&M.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (silverSOHC)

i am going on close to 4 years with my short shifter with no troubles
Old 11-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (-Gambit-)

always get dual bend. unless your 6' tall with a very long reach.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Electrician

Default Re: short shifter (eg6sir-s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6sir-s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">always get dual bend. unless your 6' tall with a very long reach.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm 5'10". I have NO PROBLEMS shifting my non-bend shifter. It's how you sit mainly. I'm not ghetto so I don't sit all the way back like some people do, far enough that you need to talk outside from the back window. I sit properly, so it's a perfect reach.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (-Gambit-)

I destroyed my D-series tranny with my stock shifter only because this was my first 5-speed car (further proof of the drivers error arguement). I swapped a LS in with hasport linkage, poly bushings, an edelbrock short shifter and a 440 gram S2 ****. Feels wayyyy better, haven't missed or grinded a gear yet and I don't drive like grandma...I like short throw's and will continue to use them until I see documented proof by a reliable source they are bad for transmissions.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm 5'10". I have NO PROBLEMS shifting my non-bend shifter. It's how you sit mainly. I'm not ghetto so I don't sit all the way back like some people do, far enough that you need to talk outside from the back window. I sit properly, so it's a perfect reach.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm about 5'11" with the dual bend and it's still too far forward for me. I sit with the seat back almost vertical. I just have short arms.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short shifter (Ricey McRicerton)

hmmm i am 6'4" and i have a dual bend and it fits me... and i dont have short arms...