Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Short Ram air intake doesn't decrease MPG right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Ram air intake doesn't decrease MPG right?

I can't get my dad to be quiet about the Intake I bought, he keeps saying it takes away power and decreases MPG.

I'm not a honda expert but is this true? I know I don't get any noticable gains, but does it take away power and give me bad mileage?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Ram air intake doesn't decrease MPG right?

Any air filter or intake that allows more cool air to entire the engine will have a positive effect in MPG. More air to flow, less gas to burn, therefore better MPG. Short rams tend to deliver more high end torque, where a full cold air intake delivers more low end torque. (If I'm not mistaken)
Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It just depends on the filter about HP and MPG and it also depends on the filter location. If the Intake pipe routes filter to a cool spot on the enginebay you get better power but not so sure about MPG if its a hot spot Vise versa
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What ^ he said too. Nevertheless, aftermarket parts are typically better than factory. So... just install it and than tell him to listen. He'll understand.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If he really wants proof just take your MPG now...

Install it in a semi-temp fashion...for example take out the box just don't take out the whole silencer assembly that goes by the bumper and whatnot...and take your MPG then...if it has no effect or positive results...tell old school it's all good.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hes wrong the intake helps your mpg and gives you more hp
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rare case is vtec-e motors have negative effects to pretty much all bolt ons lol.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get the mpg for 2-3 tanks before and 2-3 tanks after and let us know.

It's ultra important to keep your driving behavior the same throughout though.

Be sure to calculate it by resetting your odometer for every fillup and dividing your miles traveled into the gas you put into your car at each fillup.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short ram intakes DO decrease MPG. They shift your powerband to higher rpms, thereby decreasing low end torque. Meaning you're going to have to rev your engine higher to get it to move from a stop, especially on a small economy engine.

I personally did this on my '94 CX. While I didn't do any specific calculations to figure out my exact MPG, or MPG loss, I did have to fill up a lot more often than with the stock intake system on. I drove to the same places on a regular basis (once a week I'd go to a specific place and 5 times a week I'd go to another specific place). When I reinstalled my stock intake system, I was back to filling up as often as I had before I installed the short ram intake.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cold air decreases fuel economy, and warm air increases fuel economy.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ModzApex
Nevertheless, aftermarket parts are typically better than factory. So... just install it and than tell him to listen. He'll understand.
Even saying "typically," you are skatin on thin ice my friend. I once had my aftermarket phase, then I learned OEM is the way to go. Someday you will see the light.

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
cold air decreases fuel economy, and warm air increases fuel economy.
True but warm air does not burn as efficiently, therefore less power.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by djslim23
Even saying "typically," you are skatin on thin ice my friend. I once had my aftermarket phase, then I learned OEM is the way to go. Someday you will see the light.
I'm not much of a skater so I stay off the ice. I didn't insist aftermarket is always better, but in some cases paying a little more for better quality parts is acceptable. Depends on your budgets, too. I feel that there are some engineers who crafts better performing parts than factory. Where would Honda be without aftermarket? But I understand your point of keeping things original. Perhaps a better resale value and etc. It comes down to preference really.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any air filter or intake that allows more cool air to entire the engine will have a positive effect in MPG. More air to flow, less gas to burn, therefore better MPG. Short rams tend to deliver more high end torque, where a full cold air intake delivers more low end torque. (If I'm not mistaken)

Short rams decrease MPG, period.

With my short ram, I lost 3-5 mpg depending on how I drove. Lost power in top end.

Your dad is right, your best bet is to stick with the stock intake, if you care about the above.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
Wouldn't be a bad idea to get the mpg for 2-3 tanks before and 2-3 tanks after and let us know.

It's ultra important to keep your driving behavior the same throughout though.

Be sure to calculate it by resetting your odometer for every fillup and dividing your miles traveled into the gas you put into your car at each fillup.
Do this.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx

Short rams decrease MPG, period.

With my short ram, I lost 3-5 mpg depending on how I drove. Lost power in top end.

Your dad is right, your best bet is to stick with the stock intake, if you care about the above.

No. It's TS (truesheet). We don't know how you drove so you can't use that as evidence. If you're filter is located properly away from where there's heat, then more cool air is allowed through. It's all physics, children.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Master Detailer

No. It's TS (truesheet). We don't know how you drove so you can't use that as evidence. If you're filter is located properly away from where there's heat, then more cool air is allowed through. It's all physics, children.
With a short ram, the filter is basicly right in the middle of all the heat. Which means it will suck HOT air not cold.

I am speaking from experience, Are you?

You will not see any performance gains from a short ram, period. You will loose MPG's not gain, period.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend wants to trade me some lowering things for the intake...do you think that's a good deal?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pancho2193
My friend wants to trade me some lowering things for the intake...do you think that's a good deal?
It's relative. What kind of intake vs what kind of springs. Both have a general cost that will be comparable. But there are exceptions.

If you keep the intake and do the baseline test of mpg, remember to keep your driving style the same. Natural inclination when adding an intake is to want to "hear" it more, hammering the throttle in the process. While this might be more fun, your test results will be skewed if you were a pedestrian driver pre-intake install. However which way you drive, just maintain consistency.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With a short ram, the filter is basicly right in the middle of all the heat. Which means it will suck HOT air not cold.

You will not see any performance gains from a short ram, period. You will loose MPG's not gain, period.
How is that different than the hot air it's sucking in with the stock intake box?

The gains from an aftermarket short ram intake are often due to the large diameter of the piping, more direct piping to the filter, with little interruption.

The hot air goes in the cone filter all the same as it goes into the flat filter inside the plastic box.

I don't think short rams have a significant impact on MPG, certainly not 3-5 like some people have mentioned.

My 1997 civic I had in high school had a stock y7 with an AEM short ram. It got 40mpg at every single fillup.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some misinformation here.
The cold air intake will let cooler air in, and let it flow in easier. Colder air is more dense, and increasing flow lets more in. A larger, denser charge is going to make more power. Note I did say a larger, denser charge, so to keep the mix stoichiometric, it will take more fuel.

An OEM intake will give better gas mileage, but at the expense of a little power.

It's up to you. But driving style affects you a lot. If you're concerned over gas mileage, tuning the motor would help you. Honda's are notorious for running rich. Pulling some fuel would give more power and better gas mileage because you'd be running closer to stoichiometric.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a AEM short ram intake with an extension piece for the summer months to make it full cold air. The EPA estimated MPG for my car is 28mpg combined. With how I drive my car, I still get the stated EPA estimated combined mpg so my gas mileage hasn't changed. If I am on it though the worst I have gotten is 24mpg short ram setup or full cold air.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any reputable dyno graphs of motors before and after modifications? Like a site with just comparisons? Before and afters of various cams, intakes, etc. We have so many threads about how much power X modification will make. It would just be a good go to source for answering questions.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^I agree. Found something here on H-tech. https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/dyno-results-intake-testing-tuning-graphs-2049478/ Hope this helps as an example. It shows different aftermarket intakes vs stock.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
How is that different than the hot air it's sucking in with the stock intake box?

The gains from an aftermarket short ram intake are often due to the large diameter of the piping, more direct piping to the filter, with little interruption.

The hot air goes in the cone filter all the same as it goes into the flat filter inside the plastic box.

I don't think short rams have a significant impact on MPG, certainly not 3-5 like some people have mentioned.

My 1997 civic I had in high school had a stock y7 with an AEM short ram. It got 40mpg at every single fillup.
I never once said it was any differnet. The fact is the loose MPG, I am not the only one saying this.

I am speaking for personal experience, Short rams degreese MPG.
I said 3-5, I avarge 27mpg with stock intake, when I did the math with the short ram I was getting any where between 21-24mpg.

The was a Injen with K&N filter.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your experience doesn't constitute fact, senor. I've had Short Ram and a full CAI. I guess my intakes, that provided noticeable increase in MPG, were magical :D

Quick Reply: Short Ram air intake doesn't decrease MPG right?