Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

short air intake vs long cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short air intake vs long cold air intake

whats the difference which one gives you more horsepower??
Old 08-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (asergioc)

this is going to turn into a huge opinion based argument.

there isnt a noticable difference to me. But some people are really against the cai.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (JdelMsolG)

[QUOTE=JdelMsolG]this is going to turn into a huge opinion based argument.

there isnt a noticable difference to me.QUOTE]

agreed, the power gain isn't that noticable.

not to mention this has been covered before,

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (philosofy1)

I don't know too much info regarding this topic but everyone i've ran across seems to like a cai better than a sri. They seem to have more of a gain but I have seen cai's that had nothing but a whoosh sound. Personally, i've always run the stock airbox with a k and n filter and had pretty decent results with it.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (dxmanof92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dxmanof92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally, i've always run the stock airbox with a k and n filter and had pretty decent results with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (ddd4114)

^^^ yeah, that's the way to go unless you are turbocharged. if you have a turbo, a drop in filter isn't nearly as good as a full intake.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (dspIS-250)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dspIS-250 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ yeah, that's the way to go unless you are turbocharged. if you have a turbo, a drop in filter isn't nearly as good as a full intake.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, if youre turbocharged you dont use a CAI. To the original poster, this debate goes on and on and on. IMHO, it matters where you live. Does it rain a lot? If yes, get a SRI, as it wont suck water up through your wheel and hydro lock your engine like a CAI can. Yes, you can get stuff to prevent this with a CAI, but I wouldnt risk my engine on it. If its pretty dry, do whichever you want. All in all CAI might net you a little bit more power, but in the end, neither one will be that noticeable, maybe 10hp?
-patrick
Old 08-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (Kriebel89)

**** get one of these!<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CIVIC-FRONT-MOUNT-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-SYSTEM-96-98-DX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ013QQitemZ 230159905067QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
" TARGET="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...VW
</A> Dyno proven to max HP gains!! LMFAO
But for real get whatever suits you best !! and for your area
Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (mortificationrock)

This topic has been beat to death since 1998.

Longer piping (whether it's intake, manifold runner, or exhaust) gives you more power down low. Shorter gives you more power in the high RPM, but with a short ram you generally never reach high enough RPM to take advantage of it. There's a trade off when you tune the length, so you need to optimize it to give you the most benefit at the point in the RPM band that is most beneficial to you. This is called R&D, and only the big brand names like AEM and INJEN have bothered to do it.

Diameter is the other big variable. Too small and the airflow is restricted. Too big and the air velocity is too slow for your engine.

Short rams are known for better throttle response.

The longer piping of a CAI is responsible for the majority of the power gain (and better usable power) vs a SRI than is the temperature difference of having the filter placed inside the fender.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This topic has been beat to death since 1998.

Longer piping (whether it's intake, manifold runner, or exhaust) gives you more power down low. Shorter gives you more power in the high RPM, but with a short ram you generally never reach high enough RPM to take advantage of it. There's a trade off when you tune the length, so you need to optimize it to give you the most benefit at the point in the RPM band that is most beneficial to you. This is called R&D, and only the big brand names like AEM and JUN have bothered to do it.

Diameter is the other big variable. Too small and the airflow is restricted. Too big and the air velocity is too slow for your engine.

Short rams are known for the better throttle response.

The longer piping of a CAI is responsible for the majority of the power gain (and better usable power) vs a SRI than is the temperature difference of having the filter placed inside the fender.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (asergioc)

first off, most honda intakes aren't super restrictive like some other makes so intakes don't do much for mild street cars.

the way i feel, pick the one you think looks best and don't worry about which one makes 1/3 hp more.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (hondamark35)

I've had both and have actually seized an engine due to a combination of aem cai with a blitz filter sittin right by the cf lip lol, pouring rain on base and I was stop at a light at an innersecion that was litterally a foot deep and my car was looooow to the ground.

The only good part was It was a crappy motor swap from engineuity so really no loss and I traded my audio setup for a engine from my homie.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (hybridclassic626)

Short ram sounds nice!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Short ram sounds nice!</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine does as well, except it also squeaks............which pisses me off
Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (nbcivic)

I think cai is useless, reduces mpg and is ugly
Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always preferred a Cold-air. Compared with the stock airbox system, a cold air intake will significantly increase the sound of your engine's induction, especially considering the stock system is designed to be as quiet as possible.

As far as performance, you will get more useable power from a cold-air due to the density of the air going into the engine. The colder the air, the more oxygen particles can "squeeze" together. More oxygen particles equals better, more efficient combustion inside the chambers.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (Steven.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Steven. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think cai is useless, reduces mpg and is ugly</TD></TR></TABLE>

CAI's don't reduce MPG...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (CapnKrunch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CapnKrunch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CAI's don't reduce MPG...</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (CapnKrunch)

Mine does. It sounds so good that I'm always stepping on the gas to hear it.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:42 AM

custom pvc intake with a piece of foam glued to the end....that is what you need.....haha....but ive always used short ram intakes...bcause they growl louder....but there isnt really much of a difference...plus short are cheaper
Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridclassic626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had both and have actually seized an engine due to a combination of aem cai with a blitz filter sittin right by the cf lip lol, pouring rain on base and I was stop at a light at an innersecion that was litterally a foot deep and my car was looooow to the ground.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you seized an engine due to being a stupid ****. Nicely done.

To the OP - if your engine is so powerful already that the HP difference between lengths of intake tubing is your main concern, I want to know your secret
Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (Archidictus)

Ive seemed to find that Honda engines tend to work best on volumetric efficiency and velocity rather than "cold or hot" air. Look at the whale *****. Makes great gains, thats because of the volume and its tuned to have velocity. Also, a cheap 3" mandrel ebay pipe, on a stock air box with a k&n or spoon filter work great. But if you are going for the noise, I guess thats out the window.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: short air intake vs long cold air intake (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you seized an engine due to being a stupid ****. Nicely done.

To the OP - if your engine is so powerful already that the HP difference between lengths of intake tubing is your main concern, I want to know your secret </TD></TR></TABLE>

nice opinion... but insted of opening your mouth... Go to the coranado base in sd on a rainy *** day. I'm talking about the **** that u can barely see 5ft infront of you 5ft. While your at the light realize that the stway the area is constructed that the intersection and the immediate around is basically like a gigantic deep *** puddle with no drains around to take water. When the green light comes on and because of the location of your cold air intake and the fact that because your starting instead of just running through the area your going to suck up ashit load of water because your filter is basically metal mesh. How do I know how deep it was? because I had to push it and well friends came along and helped too. Oh and lower your carhave a stock bumper with a cf lip and the filter located righ next to the lip.

SO stfu and stop assuming I was reving all over makeing a generalization of me. At least I have the ******* ***** to admit the ish.

PS: if your going to quote me then quote all of it. The motor that was in it was crap anyways courtesy of engineuity
Old 08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im gonna make it short and sweet
i nor anyone i know has felt a difference in a cai/sri. how many people do i know that have hydro-locked due to cai? quite a few, i wouldnt get one imo
Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridclassic626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

nice opinion... but insted of opening your mouth... Go to the coranado base in sd on a rainy *** day. I'm talking about the **** that u can barely see 5ft infront of you 5ft. While your at the light realize that the stway the area is constructed that the intersection and the immediate around is basically like a gigantic deep *** puddle with no drains around to take water. When the green light comes on and because of the location of your cold air intake and the fact that because your starting instead of just running through the area your going to suck up ashit load of water because your filter is basically metal mesh. How do I know how deep it was? because I had to push it and well friends came along and helped too. Oh and lower your carhave a stock bumper with a cf lip and the filter located righ next to the lip.

SO stfu and stop assuming I was reving all over makeing a generalization of me. At least I have the ******* ***** to admit the ish.

PS: if your going to quote me then quote all of it. The motor that was in it was crap anyways courtesy of engineuity</TD></TR></TABLE>

Observation 1 - the base where you live/lived tends to collect large puddles of deep water when it rains

Observation 2 - you intentionally slammed your car

Observation 3 - you coupled a very low car with an intake that sat the filter an inch off the ground

Observation 4 - you drove said car during one of said deep-puddle-making rainstorms

Observation 5 - you are a ******* moron.

/argument.

EDIT - I've been to Coronado's base, by the way. It rains there about three times a year last I checked, so stop being such a drama queen. Average rainfall is under 10 inches from December to March after which very little precipitation falls at all.

http://sandiego.merchantameric..._Rsrt

Quick Reply: short air intake vs long cold air intake