Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension?

I'm thinkin about sellin my shocks and springs (kyb agx, and progress springs) for my 94 del Sol eg2. But before i do that i want to find some shocks and struts that are the way i want them. the kyb's are too stiff, they recently put in these stupid speed bumps in my neighborhood and everytime i go over them, my whole chassis and frame gets knocked the ef out, i'm tired of going like 3mph over them. My mom has a 3.2 TL and ive noticed in most luxury cars, the suspension is tight, but giving, now it may just be that i have 205/40/15's and am dropped 2.3", but i think alot of it has to do with the shocks. even when i turn them on the lowest (softest) setting, they are still stiff.

I want something that feels OEM'ish, but can stick a nice turn, something comparable to what high end sport/luxury-sports cars have. like the same rates as an s2000, or an nsx. get what i mean?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension? (Teh_Oven)

bump
Old 03-10-2004, 07:17 AM

why not set your kyb's to 1 front and back

if that was too harsh for you then just buy oem replacements kyb gr-2's and stock springs...

pretty much i think your girlie for not being able to take the harsh suspension..

anyways good luck!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:25 AM

Your shocks aren't your problem. You need to go pick up a spring with more travel and a less agressive springrate.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension? (-743-)

Hmmm, you really think so? they are the Progress springs that got their Sol to 1.01G's. What i really wanted was a set of coilovers so i can adjust to where i want, because i can't fit my stock tire ratio on the front, because it will rub the fender when i turn, so i have to go down in thickness, so my odometer is off, and i can't rotate my tires, lol, sux0rz...

Next then, can anybody give me just a basic guideline of spring rates: harshness. like 500lbs springs are harsh and 1000 are half as bad or something, just some "about" #'s so i can get an idea of what spring rate i will be in the market for. or, just post the coilovers that you like, and think have a smoother, more forgiving ride. thx
Old 03-10-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension? (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not set your kyb's to 1 front and back

if that was too harsh for you then just buy oem replacements kyb gr-2's and stock springs...

pretty much i think your girlie for not being able to take the harsh suspension..

anyways good luck! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i already said i put them on the softest setting, i can't tell a difference between 1 and 5, sux
Old 03-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teh_Oven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i already said i put them on the softest setting, i can't tell a difference between 1 and 5, sux</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats because the springs are too stiff for you...
in order for the springs to perform the way that they do on the skidpad, they have to be firmer than YOU like...

get softer springs...
Old 03-10-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension? (trboCIVICWRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trboCIVICWRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats because the springs are too stiff for you...
in order for the springs to perform the way that they do on the skidpad, they have to be firmer than YOU like...

get softer springs...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apparently; however which springs are softer, is not.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're looking for good handling, bye bye smooth ride...

if you're looking for a smooth(cushy) ride like factory, bye bye handling...

if you're looking for a happy medium, you will have to compromise...

a spring with a softer spring rate will give you a smoother ride and a non performace shock, like the kyb gr2s will help with the smooth ride..

shocks actually do make a difference in ride quality though, when i had stock struts on my h & r sports, the ride was just like factory, then i upgraded to kyb agx's and the ride got a lot firmer. i kinda miss the factory ride though, but the stock struts couldn't handle the spring rates of the h&r's.

so, make your decision
Old 03-10-2004, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension? (tominos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tominos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're looking for good handling, bye bye smooth ride...

if you're looking for a smooth(cushy) ride like factory, bye bye handling...

if you're looking for a happy medium, you will have to compromise...

a spring with a softer spring rate will give you a smoother ride and a non performace shock, like the kyb gr2s will help with the smooth ride..

so, make your decision </TD></TR></TABLE>

gahrrrr, i know all of this, what i want are spring rates, and #'s and what you think are good soft springs. right now i have plenty of handling, i know i will loose some when i get softer springs, like i said in my first post i don't care. all i want is a softer ride, so if that comes through softer springs then thats fine.

All i want to know are which springs are softer than progress, i'm waiting on an e-mail back from progress to find out their actual spring rates. after that i'm "hoping" from this thread i will eventually get some spring rates for OTHER springs. from the looks of it, i rather keep my shocks, and get some softer coilovers, i will need to be able to adjust my ride height. thx again.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the lower the number for spring rates, the softer they are..

for example, a 500in/lb or 10000 kg/mm spring rate will be much stiffer than say a 100in/lb spring rate.

i "hear" the tein stechs or the neuspeed soft sports are just a tad stiffer than oem, and will give you the ride quality you're looking for. pair em up with some oem replacement shocks, gr2s for example, and you're good to go.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension? (tominos)

My RS*Rs aernt all that stiff. Dunno what the spring rates are, but they aern't rattle your fillings out stiff.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Which shocks = "Luxury Sport" suspension?

I think you would be happy with your agx's paired with some tein s-tech springs. I don't recommend downgrading to a different shock. And if you buy different springs and it's still too stiff you can always swap the shocks out later.