Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

shock problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock problems

So depending on where i look i cant get a definite answer. I have read that the 99 civics have shocks, struts, and both. I think i need to replace my front shocks/struts w/e they are. I have read that replacing shocks is easy but struts are much more work. Also I dont want to lower my car or have stiffer shocks. Its a daily driver and i would like maybe better ride quality maybe better handling but overall i just need new ones, i think. should i just get stock ones? its at 135k miles and i dont think they have ever been replaced. Any help and opinions would be nice. Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shock problems

ok so i have finally found the difference between shocks and struts. So that answers that question. Now which one should i get? should i just replace with stock ones. I would kinda like a better ride quality. any opinions?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nonamedude
ok so i have finally found the difference between shocks and struts. So that answers that question. Now which one should i get? should i just replace with stock ones. I would kinda like a better ride quality. any opinions?
With no other suspension modifications, just replace with OEM equivalent shocks if ride quality is your only concern.

Performance shocks with OEM springs won't ride as smoothly, but will improve responsiveness.

If Koni made FSD shocks for your car I would recommend those, but they don't. These are the only shocks I've seen produce a better ride quality than stock when used with stock springs.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool thats kinda what i was wondering. what about getting springs too. the main thing is that i dont want to lower it. i know that springs would cost a bit more money but i think i wouldnt mind riding on oem springs for a while til i had the money for new ones. is it a significant difference in the ride quality and handling or just a bit of one?

and what about the tokico blues i keep seeing that people have. one website said that it didnt change stock height.

Last edited by nonamedude; 04-02-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so driving around a bunch, im pretty sure my shocks are worn out. I know i bottomed them out the other day pulling into the driveway and not going to fast. I dont know if there would be a big difference between stiffer shocks and worn out ones. I can already feel going over the paint lines and stuff and i would like some better handling. My main thing is i dont want to drop it. If i had to to get better shocks i could maybe do an inch max. but then you need to get a camber kit to get them aligned right and thats even more money i dont really have. I dont mind paying for better shocks and then in a month getting better springs but i would like to do it without dropping it. are there any good shocks and springs i can do that with?

Also is there like a suspension guide for noobs somewhere? i didnt see one on the forum.