Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

shifter pet peevs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter pet peevs

hey, i've got a '97 ex and often when i'm trying to shift quickly from 5th to 4th, i get stuck on the... divider (or whatever it is... don't know exactly how the gearbox works) between 3rd gear and 5th gear. So then i have to make sure it's in neutral and gently shift to 4th, and by then the car i was about to pass is 100 feet in front laughing at me. Would a short shifter help this? or something else? Nothing major, but it gets really annoying sometimes.

Also, is there something that can make the shifting more precise that what comes stock on the ex? I'm just comparing my car to the shifters on cars i've driven like the new beetle or the rsx or a 944... with those cars, you KNOW you're in gear.. it seems to lock in place almost, as opposed to the shifting on mine which just seems mushy and bleh.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 11-12-2002, 12:23 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: shifter pet peevs (puhlode)

...is there something that can make the shifting more precise that what comes stock on the ex? I'm just comparing my car to the shifters on cars i've driven like the new beetle or the rsx or a 944... with those cars, you KNOW you're in gear.. it seems to lock in place almost, as opposed to the shifting on mine which just seems mushy and bleh...
Hrm... it's probably you. Your CiViC has a rod shifter. It doesn't get any better than that. The cars you cited use gated cable shifter, which is a mixture between automatic shift linkage and manual. Those are 'girlie' shifters. They use them in cars for women because the ARE mushy, don't vibrate, et cetera.

I would say you just need to practice your driving a little more...
Old 11-12-2002, 12:27 AM
HT White Ops

Here are a couple of pics for you. This is the rod shifter that your ride uses...

Here is the gay-ted cable shifter from a Gen 7 CiViC...

Old 11-12-2002, 06:41 AM

you can get aftermaket bushings for your shifter, should make it feel more solid, less mushy, Neuspeed/Mugen/ES all make shifter bushings, they're cheap too, even the Mugen ones

I actually have some Neuspeed ones that I haven't bothered to install yet... lazy
Old 11-12-2002, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uh, jus to let ppl know, that gay cable shifters are wat preludes uses. aka, if u do a h22 swap u'll have a cable shifter too! now is a cable shifter gay?
Old 11-12-2002, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

i just think you need more practice shifting your car. i've never had a problem doing a 5 - 4 downshift. you should be able to do it one smooth motion. or at least that's how i do it.

kinda reminds me of my old g/f who was terrified to shift from 5th to 4th in fear that she'd accidently put it into reverse.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (Blazin Si)

yea, practice practice practice. and if you need more practice.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:16 AM

i dont think honda-tech advises street racing. i mean it has to be on the street because i dont know anyone who has done a 5th to 4th gear shift anywhere else unless it is highway driving. you know you endanger lives when you act stupid like that. you are the type that cut me off when my little girl is with me , which causes me to follow you home and whip the shiet out of you for being stupid. that is why they make race tracks. IMHO i think you should get an automatic if your having that much trouble shifting your honda
Old 11-12-2002, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (HybridHackBatch)

i dont think honda-tech advises street racing. i mean it has to be on the street because i dont know anyone who has done a 5th to 4th gear shift anywhere else unless it is highway driving. you know you endanger lives when you act stupid like that. you are the type that cut me off when my little girl is with me , which causes me to follow you home and whip the shiet out of you for being stupid. that is why they make race tracks. IMHO i think you should get an automatic if your having that much trouble shifting your honda
i hope you weren't refering to me when you said this...
Old 11-12-2002, 08:17 AM

are you the one posting that you have trouble shifting form 5th to 4th?

Old 11-12-2002, 08:29 AM

you are the type that cut me off when my little girl is with me , which causes me to follow you home and whip the shiet out of you for being stupid.
That all depends... is your "Baby on Board" sign properly displayed?
Old 11-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you replied to my post...

Old 11-12-2002, 09:22 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (MugenGTR)

uh, jus to let ppl know, that gay cable shifters are wat preludes uses. aka, if u do a h22 swap u'll have a cable shifter too! now is a cable shifter gay?
Yep! Preludes have cable shifters. Therefore, 'Lude shifters are girlie/gay too!
Old 11-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Actually my Camry w/ cable shifter felt MUCH more precise than any stock Civic or Integra shifter I've ever tried. When in gear, there was almost no freeplay with the Camry shifter, whereas stock Civic shifter can move side-to-side when in gear. My short shifter took away almost all the freeplay, and urethane bushings made it a bit better.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:07 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (PatrickGSR94)

Actually my Camry w/ cable shifter felt MUCH more precise than any stock Civic or Integra shifter I've ever tried...
Hello?!?!? I guess I'm not getting my point across.

Cable shifters are GATED. That's why they FEEL more precise. You're moving the stick from one slot to another in a 'gate'. That's all fine and dandy until you accidently do a 5-2 downshift @ 7000-RPM instead of a 5-4 and it blows the fuc*ing rods out the side of your motor. Neons are famous for this.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:09 PM

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Here is the gay-ted cable shifter from a Gen 7 CiViC...

OMFG!! I almost pee'd myself on that one....first I thought I'd been in the fume hood with all the lovely solvents too long.......

Nice one BDC!!!

Steve
Old 11-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

. i mean it has to be on the street because i dont know anyone who has done a 5th to 4th gear shift anywhere else unless it is highway driving
i don't find myself on the 'street' in 5th gear all that often, but if i was, and slowed down to say 3500 rpms approaching a 'street' light, which just turned green, i might choose to downshift to 4th so i don't have to try accelerating in 5th at 3500rpm. i don't think anyone mentioned anything about racing here, mr. mom.

which causes me to follow you home and whip the shiet out of you for being stupid
come on now, brother, how many times has that really happened?

-chuck, who hates internet tough guys more than internet wise guys.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:29 PM

haha neons exploding makes me happy BTW this can be summarized by the quote "I shift my car into R for racing" not sure who this quote is by though

[Modified by CivicUnrest, 8:29 PM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-13-2002, 02:46 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (stevecockrill)

OMFG!! I almost pee'd myself on that one....first I thought I'd been in the fume hood with all the lovely solvents too long.......

Nice one BDC!!!
Thought you might be interested in how SCC Magazine views cable vs. rod shifters...

SOURCE: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0106scc_shift/

The Honda Civic and its multitude of variants have become favorites of the import enthusiast community, and for good reason. Close inspection reveals clever engineering and mechanical systems that lend themselves well to upgrades.

The shift mechanism of the Civic family is a perfect example. Whereas other compact cars employ a cable-actuated shift mechanism, Honda chose to stick with a proven and sturdy rod linkage. This set-up has several advantages over a cable system. During aggressive use, cable-actuated shifters sometimes bind up, causing missed shifts or requiring the driver to double-clutch to get the car into gear. Though newer cable systems are less prone to this, rod linkages still have an edge in this area.The other advantage is shift feel. Rod linkages have a delightfully direct, mechanical feel. At idle, the shifter will often quiver slightly, a sign that it is positively connected to the powertrain. In contrast, cable linkages transmit almost no vibration or feedback through the shifter, the **** standing absolutely still at idle. In the fanatical zeal to rid modern cars of "noise, vibration and harshness," many OEMs have chosen cable mechanisms to isolate the cabin and driver from this feedback. More often than not, they do not consult the enthusiast community on these decisions...
Old 11-13-2002, 02:51 PM

Thought you might be interested in how SCC Magazine views cable vs. rod shifters...
I remember reading that article a while back. I've always been a fan of the "direct link" shifter mechanism......Honda's shift rod approach is about as close as you can get to the feeling of a RWD where the bottom of the shifter is essentially in the top of the tranny.

Good reading opinion

Steve
Old 11-13-2002, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Cable shifters are GATED. That's why they FEEL more precise. You're moving the stick from one slot to another in a 'gate'. That's all fine and dandy until you accidently do a 5-2 downshift @ 7000-RPM instead of a 5-4 and it blows the fuc*ing rods out the side of your motor. Neons are famous for this.
Actually cable shifters are not gated, at least not the one in my Camry. If I disconnected both shift cables, the shifter could move around in any direction, even in a circle.

I've driven an S2000 and it has the best shifter as far as feel and feedback I've ever tried. A stock Civic shifter is nowhere near that feeling. However my short-throw w/ urethane bushings feels very nice.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:28 PM

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (Rezon)

you are the type that cut me off when my little girl is with me , which causes me to follow you home and whip the shiet out of you for being stupid.

That all depends... is your "Baby on Board" sign properly displayed?

LOL! heheh good one
Old 11-13-2002, 03:46 PM

Default Re: shifter pet peevs (Paranoid Android)

1 racin on the street is like the special olympics even if you win you're still retarded.

2 about the shifter I never had this problem but then the first day i got the car i put in a dcsport short shifter
Old 11-19-2002, 05:51 PM

Uh yeah, well...
a) I'm really scared of you. No really. I swear.
b) Who the hell was talking about "street racing"? I don't know about Texass, but out here in Long Island, yes, we actually have these elusive stretches of tar and gravel called "highways". OCCASIONALLY, people like to "pass" other, slower cars on these "highways". Novel concept i know.

Try not to take yourself so seriously. You'll have more fun.

Old 11-20-2002, 06:14 PM

As far as the cable shifter versus rod shifters:

1. Cable shifters are not gated.
2. Have you tried a stock EK or EG shifter versus a stock 01-03 Civic shifter? The new civic cable shifter feels more precise than the stock rubbery POS that was in my EK. How about the new RSX shifter? That is cable too. Feels quite good to me for a stock Honda shifter. Try the new CL-S 6 speed shifter. I am quite fond of that one. It is a cable shifter too.
3. Cable shifters are far more direct feeling than the old rod type shifters (in FF cars anyway). The problem is that Honda dumbs the cable shifters down with a total of 8 rubber bushings (4 in the shifter bracket and 2 on each end of the 2 cables) to try and reduce the notchiness inherant to the cable shifters more direct feeling. The rod shifters only have 2 bushings. If you apply hard bushings to the stock cable shifter, it will be tighter feeling than most any rod shifters. So, I want to know is when will Energy suspension start to make replacement bushings for the Honda cable shifters?

Quick Reply: shifter pet peevs