Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

shaving my door handles...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaving my door handles...

hey, do you think it's worthy to get the door handles shaved?
cause i have a DX and i wanted power door locks, i got a qoute for 160 for both side, and i got a qoute for shaved doors to be around 250 for both.
i wanna know is there any bad effects for the shaved doors besides if your battiery in your remote is dead?
thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 10:05 PM

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (creasian)

holyshit duck and cover man your about to get flammed!!!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (TDRef9)

well, i liked the look of the shaved door handles
consider they're only a hundred dollars over the power door locks..
i wanna hear from those guy who have got their doors shaved is there any bad effect(s)
thanks anyway tho.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm..it would be really hard for thieves to break into your car, since you would have no door handles. But the down side would be that if you ever lost your remote, or somthing happend to it, it would also be really hard for you to get into your car as well. But if you like it, go for it man. To each his own. do to your car what you want. I personally think that they are alright, I care more for the advancement of my motor. But since you were going to go power lock and if this is a better deal for you to get them shaved, then go for it.

p.s. yea, you might get flamed because ppl in this board really dont like mods on cars that serve no purpose in their opinion, but like i said before, dont let those kinda things affect your choice. do what you want man, its your car.

[Modified by WongFeihung, 11:17 PM 12/18/2002]
Old 12-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea your probably gonna get flamed bad for this, but heres wat i know cause i wanted some shaved doors too but havent got them yet.

i had a homie who had some and the only bad thing that happened was that he left his keys in the car and closed the door one time (but you could get a waterproof button under your car incase that happens to open it), also theres times that the door poppers break or wont work no more by over heating cause you play with it to much, a good idea to do (if you have power windows) is have the remote set to roll them down to open the car if you dont want door poppers (or a back up if your door poppers dont work). umm..... besides that i cant really think of anything else. watch out for the flame thats probably coming after this post.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (WongFeihung)

ya sure it looks clean, but like you said, if the battery dies how the F*ck are you supposed to get into your car? i can think of 2 ways: pop the hood, just like the theives do it, or break your window and spend even more cashreplacing it. and it wont be harder for theives to break in, hondas are so easy to get into.

and you think youre getting a deal? shoot, ill shave both your door handles for $50. all you need is a little sheet metal and some fiberglass.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (LB CRX)

ya sure it looks clean, but like you said, if the battery dies how the F*ck are you supposed to get into your car? i can think of 2 ways: pop the hood, just like the theives do it, or break your window and spend even more cashreplacing it. and it wont be harder for theives to break in, hondas are so easy to get into.

and you think youre getting a deal? shoot, ill shave both your door handles for $50. all you need is a little sheet metal and some fiberglass.
i do think it is a good deal...consider the kits is like 200, and 50 for labors is not that bad at all...if it's as easy as you think it is, i'll just put some bondo over my handles and leave my windows down..
thanks for all the advice..
Old 12-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cause i have a DX and i wanted power door locks, i got a qoute for 160 for both side, and i got a qoute for shaved doors to be around 250 for both.
i wanna know is there any bad effects for the shaved doors besides if your battiery in your remote is dead?
thanks

ok to make this clear you are paying 160 for power locks and a seperate 250 for shaved door handles? now what kit are you getting and where do you get paying $50 for labor? and yes it is that easy, i worked at a body shop for two years thats how i know. body shops are a rip off for the work they do.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:46 PM

I shaved my door handles for a show purpose. It doesnt increase security, cause people can always find a way to get into the car.

If stuff fails, my backup plan is to go through the trunk with a key to go into the car.

It will someday be a hassle, but that's the price we pay for doing such mods.

a rate from "1"-"10", i give the shave door handles a "4".
Old 12-18-2002, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks

ok to make this clear you are paying 160 for power locks and a seperate 250 for shaved door handles? now what kit are you getting and where do you get paying $50 for labor? and yes it is that easy, i worked at a body shop for two years thats how i know. body shops are a rip off for the work they do.
no, i didnt know you needed power locks to operate a shaved doors, i'm gonna get a kit from a guy in this board for 210, and my friends at the body shop just gonna charge me for the material and i'd have to buy them a case of corona (of course i'm not gonna let them have the corona before the job)...do you know any side effects besides those were listed above? thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (tnbigdawg)

I shaved my door handles for a show purpose. It doesnt increase security, cause people can always find a way to get into the car.

If stuff fails, my backup plan is to go through the trunk with a key to go into the car.

It will someday be a hassle, but that's the price we pay for doing such mods.

a rate from "1"-"10", i give the shave door handles a "4".
did you have to have power locks to get the doors shaved?
speaking of hassle, having a car is a big *** hassle...but it's hassle without them too...thanks
Old 12-18-2002, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way, the kit i'm getting is called autoloc...good brand or not?
Old 12-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good brand
Old 12-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if your car is painted, youre gunna have to pay to get the door repainted. and hmm let me see, depending on the material they use, youre gunna have to watch out for cracks at the spot where they shave the handles. you will close your door constantly so the vibrations will eventually crack the bondo/marglass they use. if you want to aviod that, i would suggest using liquid nails for the shaving.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not wrry about the painting, since my car is in 17 differnt colors rigth not due to the differnt parts i ripped out in a junk yard(i brought my car wrecked, so had a lotta parts to be replaced) and are you serious about the liquid nail part? how do you sand those thing and sm ooth it out?
Old 12-18-2002, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive never used the stuff before. people never paid the shop enough money to. the shops that guarentee shaved moldings/bodykits for life (such as 20/20) use it.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what do u do when the remote runs out of batteries?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (ejprimo)

Its not the end of the world if your battery dies, its not like your shaving your trunk lock? just hop in from there
Old 12-19-2002, 11:20 AM

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (ejprimo)

Replace them
Old 12-19-2002, 11:46 AM

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (jin_)

Replace them
or...go through the trunk
Old 12-19-2002, 12:29 PM

Default Re: shaving my door handles... (CivicHB_92)

I have shaved handles on my civic. It is a pain in the ***. Remotes will die, poppers will freeze up. Battery of car will die. You will leave the keys in the ignition. It is not worth it. Get some rear handles off a 4 door and it will look cleaner because they have no keyholes. I have crawled through my trunk and called people to bring me keys enough to tell you it is not worth it at all...