Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Shaking steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking steering wheel

Ok I have a 95 coupe with a steering wheel shaking problem. It rides fine till about 70-80ish. Its a quick back and forth shake, (about 1/4 inch back and forth) more anoying than dangerous.

I cant remember how far back ive had this issue, but i think it was after my frontend accident.

Now ive replace the tie rods, new axles, i know the wheels aren't bent (on my friends teg previously without any issues), and I'm pretty sure its not the wheel bearing (altho ill look into it), ive got new rotors and pads, but it did this with the old stuff. Also have new tires on so balancing is perfect.
The upper balljoints are fine (skunk2) but the lower ones do need replaced, so thats my next move.

Now the car was in the shop for a month so im pretty sure the frame is straight, but if not could this be a cause as well? Any other ideas are apprecieated. Id like to have this fixed before the new motor goes in.

Modified by EJ1_Sleeper at 10:16 PM 10/14/2007

Modified by EJ1_Sleeper at 10:25 PM 10/14/2007
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Shaking steering wheel (EJ1_Sleeper)

95 coupe huh?? how many miles? bearings may need replacement. but you already thought about that. check in your haynes manual on how often they shall be replaced. 60k miles? unsure. but mine lasted bout 130k
Old 10-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Shaking steering wheel (EJ1_Sleeper)

Have you checked the balance of your wheels?....A good wheel machine will tell ya if the wheel is bent
Old 10-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Have your wheels been balanced lately? Made sure none of the weights have fallen off the wheels?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (homemadeturbo)

dammit i knew i forgot info.

Brand new tires so there perfectly balanced.

the car has 200k+ on it.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (homemadeturbo)

balance would be the first thing to check, as stated before just ask them to check for a bent wheel while they are balancing the wheels and ask them to show it to you if there is a bent one.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (forcefedferio)

Ya the wheels are fine. they were on my buds car and never had a problem with them.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1_Sleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya the wheels are fine. they were on my buds car and never had a problem with them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had that problem before after i had an accident.. anyway, have you tried getting an alignment.. if not maybe you should try that..
Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pacey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pacey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i had that problem before after i had an accident.. anyway, have you tried getting an alignment.. if not maybe you should try that.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

new alignment cause i just redid my whole suspension.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

new alignment cause i just redid my whole suspension.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait wait wait, just redid your WHOLE suspension but you need lower ball joints??

and WHO THE HELL aligned your car with bad lower balljoints???

anyways, since you KNOW its not the wheels/tires i dont have an answer, but heres a suggestion. rotate the tires front to back and see if your vibration moves to the seat and out of the steering wheel. even though im sure even if you do it and it does turn out to be tires/wheels you wont tell us for fear of looking dumb, but just trying to help.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

LOL. if u got 200k+ and stock wheel bearings i would most deff replace. once they get bad enough they start messin up your cv boots. i experience small shaking at 70 or so.. but i know my problem. its no huge deal but ill get around to it sooner than later.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mastakmk)

I had this problem with my 1995. The problem turned out to be a bad steering rack..
Old 10-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wait wait wait, just redid your WHOLE suspension but you need lower ball joints??

and WHO THE HELL aligned your car with bad lower balljoints???

anyways, since you KNOW its not the wheels/tires i dont have an answer, but heres a suggestion. rotate the tires front to back and see if your vibration moves to the seat and out of the steering wheel. even though im sure even if you do it and it does turn out to be tires/wheels you wont tell us for fear of looking dumb, but just trying to help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i say replaced everything i mean shocks/springs, tie rods (the UCA is only a year old, and all the rear parts trailing arms, LCAs and everything else are only a year old.) The Lower ball joints are not terrible, but could use replacing. The wheels were rotated wheni had the new tires put on, so its deff not the wheels.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mastakmk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL. if u got 200k+ and stock wheel bearings i would most deff replace. once they get bad enough they start messin up your cv boots. i experience small shaking at 70 or so.. but i know my problem. its no huge deal but ill get around to it sooner than later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i guess ill look into the wheel bearings.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had this problem with my 1995. The problem turned out to be a bad steering rack..</TD></TR></TABLE>

see, im not too sure on that, my rack just went bad recently, and its been shaking for long before that. But i will be putting in a manual rack soon.

guess ill just take it one step at a time. thanks for the help!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM

bearings about 30 or so ea. but most shops will not install it unless its their part. liability reasons.. **** had me maddd pissed when i walked up there with a bearing and the spindle in the other hand. finally found s1 that would do it. and they didn't do as i asked. wanted the new one in the other side not the passenger. drr. morrons. but hopefully when the car is running this weekend i won't see any problems. *** holes. i need a press. start up my honda shop next summer!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: (mastakmk)

check your bearings.. jack up the car grab from the top and bottom and push from the top then to the bottom... check for shacking. also if you take the wheel off. spin the spindle and check for say a bad bearing.... rough spinning. you may feel a single bad spot.. if so.. replace it. makes driving feel soo much better guaranteed. may need to remove the axle for this test.