Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!!

About a week ago I made a huge mistake....

I was in my driveway and I blew the 15amp fuse to the cigarette lighter and stereo. Bein stupid I upped the fuse to a 30amp fuse. Wow I'm retarded. I started the car and everything was fine, then i noticed a lot of smoke coming from the cabin. I fried one of my wiring harnesses and the car no loger started. I went to the honda dealership and bought a new wiring harness for about $500. I put that in and nothing, still wont start. So I did some more research and replaced the main relay... still nothing. I'm not get any spark or any fuel. The uel pump work, i put power to i to make sure it wasnt messed up.

When I put the keys in the ignition and turn it to the position right before you start it, i dont get that initial beeping noise. the car will crank, but will not turn over. PLEASE HELP. First person to solve this problem gets $50!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 AM

bump. $50 if you can tell me whats going on with my car
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!! (93eg2james)

these are things i would do in order if it was my prob....
#1 check all fuses, in engine bay and under driverside
#2 listen for main relay for the click and fuel pump prime, when you turn you key to the on pos.
#3 check all the grounds (after i swaped my engine out two weeks ago my car would turn over but not start, it was a ground that i didn't hook up from the wire harness)
Old 12-15-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!! (Project_DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project_DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">these are things i would do in order if it was my prob....
#1 check all fuses, in engine bay and under driverside
#2 listen for main relay for the click and fuel pump prime, when you turn you key to the on pos.
#3 check all the grounds (after i swaped my engine out two weeks ago my car would turn over but not start, it was a ground that i didn't hook up from the wire harness)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've checked every fuse in the car. I just replaced the main relay, but im not sure what clicking you're talking about. The fuel pump DOES NOT prime. what clicking should i look for? when i go to start the car the only click i hear is from a little black relay under the dash, not the main relay.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so u said no spark and fuel? the main relay doesnt energize and the fuel pump doesnt prime? also u said u checked all grounds and fuses and it still doesnt work?
are u sure you hooked up everuything on the new harness? there are a lot of connectors and its pretty easy to miss a few if your not paying attention....
did u check the fuses under the hood as well...make sure you didnt blow the ECU fuse...also swap another ECU in to see if that works...might have fried it
Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!! (Suck my DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've checked every fuse in the car. I just replaced the main relay, but im not sure what clicking you're talking about. The fuel pump DOES NOT prime. what clicking should i look for? when i go to start the car the only click i hear is from a little black relay under the dash, not the main relay.</TD></TR></TABLE>when you turn your key to the on pos.(2nd pos.) you should here the fuel pump prime from the back seat, right after its done you sould hear a click from your main relay energizin
Old 12-15-2006, 10:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
When I put the keys in the ignition and turn it to the position right before you start it, i dont get that initial beeping noise. the car will crank, but will not turn over. PLEASE HELP. First person to solve this problem gets $50!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know its stupid but check your Batt. too

bump for anyone else with ideas
Old 12-15-2006, 11:12 AM

i swapped in a p28 that i had from my previous motor, and nothing changed. I do not hear the fuel pump prime, or the main relay energize. the only click that i can hear is when i go to start the car, this little black relay makes a clicking sound, but i think that is for the starter.

the battery is also good. starter cranks very strong, just will not turn over

any more ideas?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 AM

bump. could the ignition fuse cause this problem? the screw down one under the hood?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:12 PM

bump. still need help
Old 12-15-2006, 05:21 PM

"the fourty dollar bill didn't matter no more....." F.Z.

anyhow..
Is this a '93 I assume?
Which harness did you replace?
Is the radio/lighter fuse still popping? Does it have 12v on it? That fuse blew for a reason, I would keep it removed until you figure out why she wont start.
Like someone said, I would re-check every fuse and fusable link with a ohm meter,(with fuse removed), re-check every connection on the harness that was replaced.

When troubleshooting, start at the beginning!!! Follow the first symptom you encounter.
Do the lights turn on?
Does it beep when you put the key in the ignition?
When you turn the key to the "on" position, does the dash light up?... Batt light, oil light, engine light, then does the engine light go out?

Good luck.....let us know!

Old 12-15-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!! (tietze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tietze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"the fourty dollar bill didn't matter no more....." F.Z.

anyhow..
Is this a '93 I assume?
Which harness did you replace?
Is the radio/lighter fuse still popping? Does it have 12v on it? That fuse blew for a reason, I would keep it removed until you figure out why she wont start.
Like someone said, I would re-check every fuse and fusable link with a ohm meter,(with fuse removed), re-check every connection on the harness that was replaced.

When troubleshooting, start at the beginning!!! Follow the first symptom you encounter.
Do the lights turn on?
Does it beep when you put the key in the ignition?
When you turn the key to the "on" position, does the dash light up?... Batt light, oil light, engine light, then does the engine light go out?

Good luck.....let us know!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im taking the dash out tomarrow so I can see absolutly every wire in the car. The harness replaced is the one lovated under the cruise control box, under the dash. it extends to the back of the car controling things like the fuel pump, rear window, and misc sensors like the targa top sensor. When I replaced it I went through and made sure everything was connected just right. The fuse that blew was the 15amp Cigarette/Radio fuse, so like a moron, I replaced it with a fuse that was much to large. The car does not beep when i put the key in the ignition.

Could it be something to do with the ignition switch? The car doesn't get fuel or spark so im leaning towards this. I havent looked at it yet, but I'm doing that first thing tomarrow morning! If anyone has a wiring diagram of the ignition please post it up!!!!! thank you!!!!

Edit: The reason the fuse kept blowing was a bad ground. Found it today.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:53 PM
95DxSi-R2

expletive your $50
that was an insult
Old 12-15-2006, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!! (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">expletive your $50
that was an insult</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont understand. Why was that an insult?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:18 AM

It could be the ignition switch, or power to the switch, or many things.

Buy a cheap digital multi meter if you dont have one. It is a must for checking continuity, voltages and grounds.

You can get a free download of the manual for your car, from here , under manuals.
http://www.hondahookup.com/
There are great wiring diagrams and troubleshooting flowcharts.

If you are not getting power to many things.... it has got to be common to them all. It could be a fried wire on the power or ground side.

Assuming we are talking about a'93 civic................

Start with the circuit that created the problem, cigarett lighter.

Check for 12v at..
1)F41, F39--both sides (under hood)
2)White wire going to ign switch connector
3)WHT/BLK wire coming from ign switch--(with switch ON)
4)F23 -both sides (under dash)
5)YEL/RED wire going to lighter
6)check that BLACK wire from lighter has ground.
7)check that lighter can light a joint (this step is not directly out of the flowchart)

To check power going to the distribtor....

Check for 12 volts at
1) F41
2) f39
3) white wire that goes to ignition switch (switch on or off)
4) BLK/YEL wire coming out of ign switch, (the switch must be turned on at this point)

To check main relay....

1)Disconnect the connector to main relay
2)Check for continuity between Black wire and body ground
3)check for 12v at the YEL/WHT wire (if not---15a ecu fuse, or wires)
4)turn switch on
5)check for 12v at the BLK/YEL wire (if not --15A ags fuse, or wires)

good luck

Modified by tietze at 9:29 AM 12/16/2006

Modified by tietze at 9:34 AM 12/16/2006

Modified by tietze at 9:59 AM 12/16/2006
Old 12-16-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Serious wiring problem. Please help!!!!!!! (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">expletive your $50
that was an insult</TD></TR></TABLE>
so you pretty much have no clue as to what is wrong, and or have no helpful advice, as in advice that would help him get his car started.....

anyway i'll get some pics up of a couple wire diagrams that might help....
Old 12-16-2006, 06:47 AM

aaaauugh...it's not going to work, i don't have a scanner so i tried to take a pic of them but you can't read anything.....you could go here http://www.ahdol.com/index4.php and pay to get it, or just go to auto zone and get a Haynes manual for you car which has the wiring diagrams in the back.....
Old 12-16-2006, 08:15 AM

thanks everyone for all the help! it was the ignition wiring. A few of them roasted together and grounded out on eachother. i replaced them and the car starts right up! thanks everyone for all the help!!!!!!