Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Serious Steering alignment issues.. Expert opinion required

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel is out of sync with the rack.. Any ideas?

I've got a problem where the steering wheel is out of sync with the rack.

If you turn the wheels so they're straight the steering wheel isn't straight.

When i took my car to get the tracking sorted out they put the steering wheel straight and adjusted the tracking so it's way off!

I think somethings slipping, if you turn the wheel hard against the steering lock you can hear a pinging noise and it slips very slightly, as if a spline is jumping somewhere.

I checked the steering wheel was attached properly today and it's fine, there's no way it's slipping. This makes me think that something between the steering wheel and the rack is slipping, but I have no idea what?

Any ideas much appreciated...

BTW. this is an EG civic VTi (english with B16)

Modified by VTEC-LUDE at 2:19 PM 1/6/2007
Old 01-06-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Steering wheel is out of sync with the rack.. Any ideas? (VTEC-LUDE)

Do not repost your topics..
Old 01-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Steering wheel is out of sync with the rack.. Any ideas? (gezzuzz)

Do not post on my topic unless you have something descent/relevant to say. This is NOT a repost.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Steering wheel is out of sync with the rack.. Any ideas? (VTEC-LUDE)

You were already told how to solve this problem in the other post on the same topic. Maybe revisit that post and re-read what was said. This is a trivially easy thing to fix.

Look under the dashboard where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. Reading the manual might help a little too.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Steering wheel is out of sync with the rack.. Any ideas? (MasterKwan)

Thanks once again MasterKwon- My brother made this post as he thought the other one was too cluttered and went off point. We have checked the splines.. my only questions is now which one do you think I should adjust (or how do I know which one is slipping?), there seems to be what adjustment bolt at the very bottom and another a couple of inches up.

I was going to get the wheels properly aligned. Then adjust this spline so that the steering wheel is straight when the wheels are straight. Do you think this is the best method?

Thanks in advance.

Modified by VTEC-LUDE at 5:34 AM 1/7/2007
Old 01-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you out to get a copy of the shop manual and see how it says to align the steering wheel when you replace the cable reel. Have you looked under the car and checked the tie rod ends? You ought to be able to tell by eyeball about how much you need to move the wheel to the right or left.

On the coupler, you have to disconnect both bolts, slip the couple up off the rack shaft, turn the wheel, then push the coupler back down on the rack shaft.

Assuming the splines on the steering wheel, and the splines on the coupler are good, the only other than that could be slipping would be the rack itself. I don't know it that's possible though. The rack to pinnion interface is spring loaded (in the rack).