Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Semi-emergency with the steering column! Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-emergency with the steering column! Help please.

Sorry for the semi-clickbait title. However, this is an official semi-emergency.
I have a 1995 Honda Civic EX. I replaced the power steering rack about 18 months ago, then deleted the power steering and looped the rack so I could go off just manual steering about 2 months ago. All's been well except that today, while I was leaving the parking lot, the steering wheel kind of 'skipped' as I turned the wheels from one direction to the other. Like, it had binded. My steering wheel was off-center, and when I got back home, I tried to put it back by turning it to the other lock, but it completely disconnected from the pinion gear. I know because I removed the steering column cover and saw that the joint that connects the steering column to the pinion wasn't grabbing like it should, it just bounced off the splines. I loosened the lower bolt and the threads were completely busted. I tapped them and made them nice, but putting it through again ruined them. I got a makeshift replacement at ACE, and I tightened it way more than the torque spec of 15 lb ft, but I had to in order to get the steering wheel connected to the pinion. I drove 4 hours on the freeway just fine (kinda) and I've been not turning the wheel while the car is stationary in order to minimize the strain on the joint that's weak.
I'm thinking I need to replace the steering column. I'll inspect the splines on the upper part and the lower part and see if anything's amiss, but I really could use some advice. Have any of you had this happen? How did you fix it? Thank you very much.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Semi-emergency with the steering column! Help please.

if the splines are ok, replace the joint. do NOT drive with this part rigged up.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
if the splines are ok, replace the joint. do NOT drive with this part rigged up.
^^^This. If you are married, buy life insurance,
Old 12-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

After engaging the lower portion of the steering joint with the steering rack pinion, loosen the upper bolt of steering joint to allow the steering joint to drop down and fully seat on the rack pinion. This allows the lower bolt of the steering joint to align with and tighten into the pinion groove. Next, tighten both the upper and lower bolts of the steering joint.

It's essential that the steering joint fully seats on the pinion. If not, you'll have the problems you describe.

Last edited by muellersfan; 12-23-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the concern, guys. I really appreciate it. eghatch, are you talking the splines on the pinion gear?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muellersfan
After engaging the lower portion of the steering joint with the steering rack pinion, loosen the upper bolt of steering joint to allow the steering joint to drop down and fully seat on the rack pinion. This allows the lower bolt of the steering joint to align with and tighten into the pinion groove. Next, tighten both the upper and lower bolts of the steering joint.

It's essential that the steering joint fully seats on the pinion. If not, you'll have the problems you describe.

okay, so let me rephrase what you said so that I can be sure I understand.
What I'll do is loosen the over-tightened lower bolt, but not all the way. Then, I'll loosen the upper bolt so that the joint slides into its appropriate place. Then I'll torque both upper and lower bolts to spec.
Is that right? Should I get a new bolt from Honda, or is the similar one from ACE going to do it? Also, I put blue threadlocker on the threads. Should I?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I failed to mention that my SRS light is on, I have no cruise control, and I have no horns. I'm thinking I busted a connector up in there. Is it inside the steering wheel?
And, if anyone knows how to get the steering wheel aligned properly, that knowledge would be much appreciated.
Thanks again, guys. You're real life-savers.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:44 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics of yours?
Old 12-24-2018, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You've broken the clock spring by having the wheel turn out of sync with the rack. This part (officially called the Cable Reel) makes electrical connections between the stuff mounted on the wheel (the air bag, horn button, cruise control buttons, etc) and the rest of the car.

When you have everything secure, point the front wheels straight ahead, detach the joint from the rack and turn the wheel until it is straight ahead, reattach the joint and test drive (you may need to make another small adjustment), then replace the clock spring. Follow the service manual exactly on that because it will break if installed wrong.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jon Petersen
okay, so let me rephrase what you said so that I can be sure I understand.
What I'll do is loosen the over-tightened lower bolt, but not all the way. Then, I'll loosen the upper bolt so that the joint slides into its appropriate place. Then I'll torque both upper and lower bolts to spec.
Is that right?
Yes

When tightened, the lower bolt MUST be aligned into the pinion groove to prevent the joint from sliding off the pinion and to allow the lower bolt to tighten the joint onto the pinion splines.

Should I get a new bolt from Honda, or is the similar one from ACE going to do it? Also, I put blue threadlocker on the threads. Should I?
Repair the bolt and steering joint threads with a tap and die kit. You can get a free rental at AutoZone or O'Reilly.

Threadlocker is generally unnecessary for these bolts, but would not hurt.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
You've broken the clock spring by having the wheel turn out of sync with the rack.
I hope he just forgot to reconnect the cable reel connector, but that's being optimistic.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muellersfan
Yes

When tightened, the lower bolt MUST be aligned into the pinion groove to prevent the joint from sliding off the pinion and to allow the lower bolt to tighten the joint onto the pinion splines.

Repair the bolt and steering joint threads with a tap and die kit. You can get a free rental at AutoZone or O'Reilly.

Threadlocker is generally unnecessary for these bolts, but would not hurt.
I tried redoing the threads on the bolt, but I busted them again when I put it through the second time. I believe the female threads on the joint are fine because the new bolt threaded in nearly perfectly. I don't want to keep re-tapping the old bolt because if I'm not mistaken, the metal weakens as you do it repeatedly.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried redoing the threads on the bolt, but I busted them again when I put it through the second time. I believe the female threads on the joint are fine because the new bolt threaded in nearly perfectly. I don't want to keep re-tapping the old bolt because if I'm not mistaken, the metal weakens as you do it repeatedly.

The next step would be to purchase a new 10mm bolt from Honda or a hardware store.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

If I recall, the threads are in the joint itself, I don't believe a new bolt is going to be the fix.

I think the fix is new bolts AND new joint.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
If I recall, the threads are in the joint itself, I don't believe a new bolt is going to be the fix.
OP stated that joint threads are fine.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

He can retap them. I've had to do that once because of some inexperienced alignment tech.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, for sure I should replace the B joint?
This one here?
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...3-sm4-013.html
Old 12-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This one here?
Did you inspect and find that the threads were badly stripped?

If the damage to threads is minor, just get the free rental tap and die set to repair the threads. The 10mm bolt only needs 16 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Hysterically Calm

This one here?
Please ignore me, I assumed all threads were severely compromised and missed the detail that you believe the female threads are in good shape.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I assumed that the female threads were fine because the new bolt threaded in just fine. The new bolt that I just removed is as badly damaged as the old bolt, though I believe it's because of the ridiculous amount of torque I applied to it to get it to stay in place, so the female threads could still be just fine. I still need to remove the steering wheel and column because I don't think that joint is going to move unless it has a lot more freedom, plus I'll need to anyway to inspect the damage to the clock spring. I'll post pictures once everything's removed.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Hysterically Calm

I had a real bitch of a time taking off the joint. Bolts completely out and the joint would not let go for the life of me.

If anyone has any tips they could share on unseating the joint, I'm sure it would be most appreciated by old and new users alike.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a real bitch of a time taking off the joint. Bolts completely out and the joint would not let go for the life of me.

If anyone has any tips they could share on unseating the joint, I'm sure it would be most appreciated by old and new users alike.
The 6th generation (96-00) Civic manual provides more helpful guidance on removal and installation of the steering joint than does the 5th generation (92-95) Civic manual.

Removal of steering joint

Installation of steering joint
Clarification on step 10: It should tell you to insert lower bolt into joint bolt hole after aligning joint bolt hole with pinion shaft groove.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:00 PM
Hysterically Calm

It still doesn't say HOW to move the joint toward the steering column.

I had a real bitch of a time getting the joint to let go of the steering rack pinion to be able to "move" it toward the steering column.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It still doesn't say HOW to move the joint toward the steering column.
Was it rusted?

With a small effort, you should be able to slide the steering joint upward toward the steering column after removal of the lower bolt and loosening of the upper the bolt. If that did not happen, you should be able to disengage the splines of the joint and pinion by rocking the joint back and forth while pulling upward.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:27 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

remove the bolts completely, use pliers and use the opening of the steering to push the joint upwards.

Quick Reply: Semi-emergency with the steering column! Help please.