Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

seized o2 sensor(s)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default seized o2 sensor(s)

I didn't get to my secondary yet, but I can't budge my primary O2 - anybody have any tips for loosening it up so I can break it loose?

And btw, does anybody know what size it is? I'm using a crescent wrench as I don't have a set of wrenches above 19mm - but it's not going anywhere anytime soon . I need to get this sensor out - anybody have any suggestions?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When mine are bound up I clamp the vise-grips on it and give them a couple whacks with a hammer. It's always done the trick. Also I can't recall but the wrench size I think is 21mm.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: seized o2 sensor(s) (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't get to my secondary yet, but I can't budge my primary O2 - anybody have any tips for loosening it up so I can break it loose?

And btw, does anybody know what size it is? I'm using a crescent wrench as I don't have a set of wrenches above 19mm - but it's not going anywhere anytime soon . I need to get this sensor out - anybody have any suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

to be honest with you, soak it in some wd40, pb blaster. then what i did i went and picked up the actual o2 socket. threw it on a breaker bar and put it to rest.

jobs are 10X easier when having the proper tools!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: seized o2 sensor(s) (philosofy1)

I use an open ended wrench and tap it with a hammer. Works every time.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 AM
* B A N N E D *

i couldnt get my primary o2 out of my manifold..... i ended up buying a new header and o2 sensor.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: seized o2 sensor(s) (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

to be honest with you, soak it in some wd40, pb blaster. then what i did i went and picked up the actual o2 socket. threw it on a breaker bar and put it to rest.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

for penetrating oil. That **** works wonders on ALL the seized parts on my car. Never leave home without it.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: seized o2 sensor(s) (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When mine are bound up I clamp the vise-grips on it and give them a couple whacks with a hammer. It's always done the trick. Also I can't recall but the wrench size I think is 21mm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I was thinking 21mm too, but not sure since I don't have one (eh...tons of standard size wrenches though...)

Ha, that's what I did, mix of this, and this:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

jobs are 10X easier when having the proper tools! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Soaked in WD40 right b4 I posted this then when I went back out there got vice grips + rubber mallet = kicked its ***.

I'm broke as ****, you wanna give me your tools??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a few things to buy on my wishlist, a 20mm+ wrench set (keep running into drain plug and lug nut issues as well), 20mm+ socket set (I had to change the oil on my jetta with with a 19mm end of a lug nut star, like this:

You have any idea how gay I looked??

Definitely to proper tools, lol. Got a good $500 in tools to buy, g2 buy another torque wrench, bought some 80 dollar torque wrench from craftsman, the numbers RUBBED OFF when I took it out of the package - took that **** back. Need to buy another torque wrench, I've tightened down way too many gaskets with "estimated torque." - anybody have any suggestions on torque wrenches??

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the O2 sensor - I didn't realize how gayly pressed into the grommet where the plug is the secondary o2 sensor is, it twisted all up when I screwed it in, but it's so close to the gromet, I don't think I could put the plug in there AFTER it's in. Which do u guys do first, plug and stuff, or put in then stuff it back up in there???

It may just be the high flow cat the previous owner put on there - but the bung puts the O2 sensor STRAIGHT UP next to that gromet - you can't fit a plug in there w/ the O2 sensor in and coiled wire will probably = broken wire.

And I'm not disconnecting the cat

PS:
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After soaking it in WD-40 run the car for a couple of minutes. Or if you have a blow torch heat it up. It will help loosen it. Just be careful. You don't want to burn yourself
Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: seized o2 sensor(s) (CrashAndBurn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrashAndBurn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After soaking it in WD-40 run the car for a couple of minutes. Or if you have a blow torch heat it up. It will help loosen it. Just be careful. You don't want to burn yourself</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just make sure it's clear that this is an OR situation, not an AND situation. Otherwise putting WD40 on it, then hitting it with a blow torch may yield negative results.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: seized o2 sensor(s) (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just make sure it's clear that this is an OR situation, not an AND situation. Otherwise putting WD40 on it, then hitting it with a blow torch may yield negative results. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL

Thanks, I haven't gone that dumb yet
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

7/8" wrench + tap with hammer. And I live in Canada, home of rust. It worked for me.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

It should be 22mm or 7/8". Yes, a wrench and tap with hammer. Spray with WD40 or PB Blaster first. One old mechanic's trick is to tap to loosen first, then tap to tighten, and tap to loosen (repeat several times, to break it loose).
Old 07-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: (tech8)

+