Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Searching and Reading but not sure if im reading or looking in the right places

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching and Reading but not sure if im reading or looking in the right places

Ive been trying to search and read around here not sure if im using the right key words to get the right information. I read the sticky about the FAQ motor swaps. It seems to me that the best options would be the K20, H22 or the B18C5. I have a pretty high budget..this car would not be a daily driver but will not be an all out track car just yet but I do plan on going with a turbo system. I couldnt find any info about which of the 3 motors I listed are best suited for a turbo.

Also for the hatchback does it matter if I get a 92 or a 95 or a 96? Im trying to find differences in the years because I wanna get the best possible hatchback for my purpose which is to have a car built that hauls ***. Im also modding a evo but im doing that slow since its easier to make gobs of power. I want a fun lightweight car but I am aiming for a great deal of power.

Also I might have a friend that can help me but if not does anybody know any good shops I could have the car shipped out to for work done? Im from the upstate NY area around buffalo,rochester and syracuse by the way.

Unfortunately im on a posting limit so I made this post kind of long. Im still going to search around as I dont expect or want ppl to just hand me information but im having a little trouble finding what im looking for so a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated guys/gals

thanks for taking the time to read and reply
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searching and Reading but not sure if im reading or looking in the right places (Meanmachine04)

easy engine to boost is an ls. lower compression ratio

as for the hatchback 92- 95 are essentially the same 96 however is way different
Old 10-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Searching and Reading but not sure if im reading or looking in the right places (92shade)

92 cx hatch, sleeved and built k20, full-race kit, tune and enjoy 500+ whp

(in a nutshell)
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searching and Reading but not sure if im reading or looking in the right places (sp00nek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Meanmachine04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a pretty high budget..</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp00nek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">92 cx hatch, sleeved and built k20, full-race kit, tune and enjoy 500+ whp

(in a nutshell)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with respect to the car get a 92-95 cx or 96-00 cx. they are the lightes out of all the civic made within these years. With the slowest engie of course. In regards to the engine, it all depends what kind of car you wanna build. For a drag car, a h22 or ls-vtec would be my choice. These two have really good torque and power. However, the h22 is bad for track due to the bad distribution of weight. Take into account that this engine came out of a prelude, which is a much bigger car. If your building the car for track, I suggest you to go with the k20a. this seems to be the preferible choice for those with the money. Is quick and pretty new. However, my favorite out of all the k series engines is the k23 out of a acura RDX with 240hp and 260lb-ft. If you got the money go towards this last recomendation it will be worth. However, take into account that this is a bit heavier than the regukar k20.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Re: (luispizarro25)

Well like I said I got a Evo too but im going to mod that pretty slow...im prolly going to get cams and a intercooler for it for the 09 season and thats it. I already know what it can do and how easy power will come thats why I am choosing to build a car that has a rep of a young kid putting a fart can on it ( at least here it does) and making it a pretty lightweight monster.

To my knowledge hondas are fairly light escpecially compared to the current car I own. I wouldnt mind putting in a motor that gives me 260hp stock even though it will add a little more weight it seems like the power it brings escpecially when turbocharged could far outweigh the fact that it will make the overall weight of the car increase.

Im not building a full out track car YET. Its going to be a street/track mix and then if I decide I might just build it into a track car from there but for now at least for a few years I want a fun little street/track car. I wanna eat up cars and only be beat by other highly modified cars.

Here most of the people that own these hondas throw a body kit on and leave it primered along with the rest of the car and they throw a ebay fart can on it. I wanna unleash the potential of these cars when motors are properly swapped and paired with the correct turbo system.

So I guess if this helps my goals are street/track monster but eventually it will be seeing more track than street but not for quite some time. And also this car WILL BE turbocharged so I want to make sure it gets paired with the correct motor.

Thanks for the responses im starting to get a good base of where I want to start off. Now I just need to find the brand of turbo I want to go with lol.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick reply. I really got interested with your thread and I did a little more research. I have to apologize for the misinformation I provided you with. I know not everyone knows everything but when I say something I want to make sure I'm right. In regards to the k23 I talked about in a civic it is almost impossible unless you have tons of money. I researched it and no one has been able to do this swap yet. The closest you can get is using a k24 block with a k20 head and type s tranny. This one I heard gives you good power and torque. Ill look for some good turbos for your civic as well. I would like to learn with you in this regards since I'm dong my swap next yearbas well. Keep me updated please, you sound serious.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Yes I am serious. And I also did a little research and I saw where a few guys were running into issues with the K23. So it seems the b18c1(think it gives 195hp and 140tq) or the K20 seems like the two best motors to build and turbo from what im seeing around here
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Meanmachine04)

yep good. I will be going for b18c since i cant really afford a k20 and i wanna save some for the turbo as well. I have been reading lots in regards to this and believe is the best you can ever do before you really start spending money. I have been looking a different turbos but due to the large variety i cant just make up my mind yet. Not a prob tho kuz i like to take my time in my car.

I liked how you said that you wanna beat other racers and just get beaten by highly modded cars. Good thinking. There is lots of ppl out there that have the wrong idea. but then again it is up to ppl's taste and no everyone have tons of money. We do what we can.