Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

(SEARCHED) DOOR SKIN INSTALLATION

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (SEARCHED) DOOR SKIN INSTALLATION

As the title states, I searched but only a few came up and none of them answered my questions; so here we go.

Any one ever install a door skin?
I have done everything possible to a civic, from doors, fenders, rear disk conversions, control arms, motors, ect. Is a door skin out of my league?
What tools did you need?
How many hours did it take?
Is it something you can do on your own?

Have you ever had a door skin installed?
How much did it cost?
How did it look after?
Is it a simple job for most body shops?
Do you think you should have done it your self.

Please someone answer these questions. I havnt been able to find any write ups on this. I really think its possible to do it my self but it would help a great deal if someone could tell me what issues to watch out for and if there are some tools that would greatly help the process. Someone who works as a body man would be awesome to hear from.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (SEARCHED) DOOR SKIN INSTALLATION (MassScene)

A friend of mine owns a gas/service station and one of the gas pumpers there works full time days at a body shop... he's offered to do EVERYTHING my car needs EXCEPT a door skin...

He can do it but was like... You can get a WHOLE door for 1-300 bucks... the skin will cost you the materials will cost you. the time it takes etc... it's just not worth it.

As far as materials I think you just need a grinding/cutting wheel (to remove the old skin) a drill or a spot weld hole punch a welder and that adhesive crap.

You just grind off the rounded edge of the existing door skin clean up the edge... put the new skin on and bend/weld the edges.

Oh I'm not sure if you need a special tool to wrap the skin around the frame... I think you can just use a body hammer though.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (SEARCHED) DOOR SKIN INSTALLATION (MassScene)

he's pretty much right. you will save yourself a lot of headache by just buying a good door. i am a body man/ auto restorer professionally. you could do it yourself, but there are specialty tools required and you might not be happy with the results. honda door skins are such light guage that unless you are very careful with your hammer and dolly work as you wrap the skin over the door structure, you will end up with waves and dings on the outside surface that will require body work to be ready for paint. call some local salvage yards and see what you can get a door for, even if it has a couple of light dings, you ought to be able to have it professionally smoothed and painted, including jambs and materials, for about $250-300. hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SEARCHED) DOOR SKIN INSTALLATION (blacklx97)

thanks guys. that was actually really helpful.