Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

.. In Search for some Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 09:04 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .. In Search for some Suggestions...

I currently own a 99 SI.(Yes the Freaking Blue COlor One) . I was thinking of selling it to Purchased a Hatch and do a swap.. Do u think its a good idea or will I end up Spending more money doing a hatch wit a swap. Then just building on my B16 ... On my Rice looking SI....ANy advice would be appriciated....
Old 01-24-2002, 09:09 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (ElectricBlue13)

If you buy a hatch and do a swap, it would most likely be a B16A hybrid. You already have that, just not a hatch. Keep your car, you make me jealous!
Old 01-24-2002, 09:19 PM
New User

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (B21A)

If you buy a hatch and do a swap, it would most likely be a B16A hybrid. You already have that, just not a hatch. Keep your car, you make me jealous!
I'm with him. You already have a nice B series motor...and it is stock from the factory. Enjoy it and fix that up.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:47 PM
New User

for a while I thought about doing the same thing. I was looking for a silver 99-00 hatch to buy while I was selling my Si. I even went as far as putting forsale signs on my car. I got a few calls from people interested but no one was wanting to pay near the price I was offering (which is lower than the private seller price on http://www.kbb.com).

Finally I sat down and wrote down the list of mods and what I wanted to do to the hatch. B18-R swap, 5-lug conversion, Si front sway bar, Si front control arms, ITR sway, Si front grille, Si front lip, oem rear lip (bla..bla..bla..).

With the Si you already have alot of these mods. You have to do all of these mods just to get the hatch up to the Si level. Yea..if you have the patience and money it could be fun.

I use my Si for daily driving and autoXing. FOR ME it would be more benificial to keep my than swap it out for a hard to find hatch. Not too mention a swaped hatch is bumped into a higher class (RX-7 etc) for autoX. Hope that helps you make your decision.

tell...
Old 01-25-2002, 05:29 AM

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (bishop)

keep the coupe why down grade your body for the same engine? i understand the less weight thing but... it's a factory motor not one ripped outta a car. i dunno thats just my $0.02
Old 01-25-2002, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (Grimm)

id do a 92-95 with gsr.. should be more fun and youll walkaway with some extra $$$ i know someone with ebp si and he sold it to get 92 cx with type r motor and hes happier than ever

Old 01-25-2002, 06:56 AM
Banned

I currently own a 99 SI.(Yes the Freaking Blue COlor One) . I was thinking of selling it to Purchased a Hatch and do a swap.. Do u think its a good idea or will I end up Spending more money doing a hatch wit a swap. Then just building on my B16 ... On my Rice looking SI....ANy advice would be appriciated....
WTF
EBP is not RICE
it looks nice, like wheels on a sleeper.

and i dont know about that, only way is if you get exactly what you paid for or more.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (skillfactor)

i dont think he said that because its a very popular color........and DAMN it looks sweet with white rims!!
Old 01-25-2002, 11:00 AM
New User

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (fifthgearonline)

if I kept it..... I was gonna go for the Spank on 18's look.........Plus I was thinking of painting it White if i kept it.... I would painted . The Pearl White color that came on the new 02 Rav4's.. Three stage Paint....
Old 01-25-2002, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, here's how I see it...

...this choice is based on your personality. If you're more of a chill type person and concerned about a ride with some class...stick with your Si. Not the fastest, but it's pretty damn decent and looks good, plus it's pretty much brand new.

Now on the otherhand, if you're a little on the goofy/wild side, dont care much for looks and just want to spank some ***, go for the hybrid setup (92-95 hb), but not the B16...go for a B18C1 or B18C5.

And chicks, the Si looks more attractive to chicks.

[Modified by hybridreams, 9:24 PM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (hybridreams)

Sorry, but I will disagree with most people here.

I own a 1992 civic hatch with a 1998 Type R swap in it. This car absolutely destroys most of the Civic Si Coupes that it encounters. Would you like me to add it all up for you to see why you can have a cars that's TONS faster, handles BETTER, AND costs LESS? Here I go:

1992 CX/VX with clean title and good body: $2,000 ALL DAY!
B18C5 swap COMPLETE: $5,500 ALL DAY
All four corners of Integra GS-R suspension and brakes: $400 ALL DAY
Koni yellows and Ground controls: $700 or so (could be cheaper, just do research)
Lightweight 15'' wheels/tires: $1000 or so
Good paintjob same color base/clear: $800-$1,300 depending on where you do it

That's LESS than $11,000 for a car that will beat the hell out of most Civic Si - even boosted ones. Straight line, cornering, whatever. Does not matter - the EG weighs about 2000-2100 co pared to 2600lbs.

Oh, and the B18C5 isn't even NECESSARY to beat the 99-00 Si. You could have any DOHC VTEC swap in and beat the **** out of the coupes.

Sorry if this has offended anyone, but it is the TRUTH. My old 1992 Si hatchback ran 13.9@100.97mph with a stock ITR swap - that car weighed 2289lbs. - my new CX will weigh about 2020, so those numbers will be improved upon for sure. And at auto-X the hybrid outperforms most Si coupes as well, and I'm no Roger Foo when it comes to driving

BTW: Bullpoo poo that chicks dig the Si coupe more - here's pics of mine and my FIANCEE'S cars - both hybrid hatches.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 4:37 PM 1/25/2002]
Old 01-25-2002, 12:40 PM

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (B18C5-EH2)

i agree with B18C5-EH2 i got a 92 vx with a b18c5 and i kill those new SI some kids have at my school
Old 01-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Former Moderator

Sorry, but here's 6 more reasons why you should go with a hatchback:

All of these cars will break the 99-00 Si off more than the coupe wants
Old 01-25-2002, 01:13 PM
Former Moderator

**Let me Clarify Something Here

You asked for my OPINION, so I gave it to you. I wasn't hating on the 99-00 Si, but I was stating facts in terms of weight and whatnot.

If you really love the looks of the coupe body, then by all means do not get a hatchback. But if you REALLY want a car that is cheaper and FASTER then you should seriously consider the hybrid hatchback. Sorry, but power to weight ratio is in favor of the hatchbacks especially if you get a 1992-1993 CX or VX oe DX hatch.

I didn't mean for any of this to **** off you Si owners - sorry if it did. You can still post why you think the coupe is better and that would be your right to voice your opinion just like I did.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (B18C5-EH2)

BTW: Bullpoo poo that chicks dig the Si coupe more - here's pics of mine and my FIANCEE'S cars - both hybrid hatches.
Well you got the lucky pick of the litter, no need to rub it in (

But do the MAJORITY of girls out there even know what a hybrid is? All they see is an old style hatchback that some guy put an exhaust and rims on. Now compare that to a stock Si...new, nice color, already comes with rims, classier than the hb to THEM.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (hybridreams)

yeah...that's a factual statement!!! some chick called my EK a "pregnant rollerskate" and i felt so small after that remark!
--justin
Old 01-25-2002, 03:19 PM
New User

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (slowasscx)

yeah...that's a factual statement!!! some chick called my EK a "pregnant rollerskate" and i felt so small after that remark!
--justin
haha, i wish i was there.
no offense.

chicks do dig the si, the civic is such a chick car.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:26 PM
New User

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (slowasscx)

Yeah, girls I've come across don't really dig hatchbacks too much. They like the coupes much better. I even remember years ago when the 6th gen Civic first came out and Car and Driver magazine referred the EK hatch as resembling a "nerd's shoe." Huh? Well, I love the hatches but a coupe is what i got so I gotta live with it
Old 01-25-2002, 04:09 PM

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (HENRY)

wow it's so true that girls love the coupes. Girls hate my ride, but whatever i don't give a DoEs AnYoNe KnOw WheRe I CaN GeT SoMe StRObE LiTEZ AnD LiGhT uP WiNdShiElD NoZzLeS??, actually it's kind of good because it shows i get them without havin some fancy ride...something to think about but having a gutted interior with only 2 seats, 3'8 inch drop which makes it a bitch to get in, seats that are mounted to the floor, yea it's messed up it's no wonder they don't like it, but i love my hatch
Old 01-25-2002, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep what u have..its reliable besides being a great crusing car..than can also be modified in alot of ways..u know what i mean...besides a 95 or earlier hybrid, its still a older car no matter what u do to it
Old 01-25-2002, 06:50 PM
New User

Get a hatch, hatches are cool.
Some guy either on this board or another Honda one had a signature like:
Never mess with a hatch, because you'll never know, until it's too late.
Hehe, I just thought that was tight, and true in many cases.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:52 PM

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (Frog1342)

I'd have to agree with B18C5-EH2, those hatches are the poo poo and they will blow the doors of any SI. I've been looking for a 92 CX or VX hatch for sometime now and when i find the right price i'm definitly gonna bite. I plan on keeping both my integra and a hatch.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:39 PM

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (prajx)

I would say stick with your Si. Like someone already said you have a stock motor with potential. Regardless you can make your coupe fast and they look a lot better then hatches in my opinion. Im more leaned toward show but if its go you want the Si is more then capable. Just remember theres always gonna be someone out there with a faster car then you. So dont only take speed into consideration, your gonna be spending 90% of the time in your car NOT racing or AutoXing. again this is just my opinion
Old 01-25-2002, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: .. In Search for some Suggestions... (mycronman)

i got a coupe and i would very easily take a hatch over my car..... just my two cents...
Old 01-25-2002, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to go ***** out fast - get a hatch
if you want a car to attract chicks - get an exotic (neither civic will attract them believe you me) some chick called my EG a bubble on wheels! yeah, coupe is much more attractive.... not! to them, they are both civics.
as long as you're happy that's all it counts. i drive a 95 gutted the ***** out CX, and if some biatch doesn't like it - too bad! i'm still happy

[Modified by EG6JDMspec, 8:48 AM 1/26/2002]

Quick Reply: .. In Search for some Suggestions...