Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

In search of a Honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of a Honda

I'm trying to find a 96-00 Honda Civic Coupe. I have seen some in Marketplace, but unable to participate in the forum (yet). I might as well get some noob questions out of the way.

What to look for in a boosted Honda (keep in mind - this will be my first honda, or for the matter - imports)? I'm looking a reliabale & capable DD if need be. It doesn't have to be super fast, but at least keep up with some speedy cars out there (not planning to race).

What are signs to look for in a bad (lack of a better term) Honda? Every boosted car advertised also say ... eg only 2000 miles on built engine... costing $$$ amounts of dollars. If ppl just spent that much $$$, why are they selling it already, when they haven't even enjoyed riding it yet?

Thanks,
D
Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: In search of a Honda (sleeper_pwr)

My advice to you would be to buy a nice little stock car. Look for a good deal locally or on H-T. Build it up the way you want, take time to learn what you're doing. Theres no shortage of information on H-T if you look for it and ask the right questions. For someone whom I'm guessing doesn't have a ton of experience, you may find it hard to maintain a boosted car if you're not familiar with it. Taking on someone elses problems is usually not worth the "deal" you'll be getting by buying someone else's project. People can give you some things to watch out for, but when it comes down to its gonna be your car and youre gonna have to take care, diagnos and maintain it so you may wanna give yourself more time to learn about these things. Plus having somethin youve put together yourself will teach you much more and be more rewarding in the end. Patience is a virtue but theres unlimited knowledge out there. Jut my two cents.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just inspect the whole car... Maybe, get a car with a clean title? However, in the past i've found it really awesome to get a branded title car for way way cheaper than a clean title car and with a lot of mods done to it. Just check how the engine is, bring a mechanic with you if you don't know much about the Honda engines.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: In search of a Honda (EM1_00Si)

keep the helfpul suggestions coming...
I've been hearing the higher maintenance issues for boosted vehicles as well. I want to get an idea (numerically speaking) of how much more maintenance is really needed. I don't really drive my cars hard at all, I normally baby them for fear of breakdown & costly repairs. If I just drive a boosted car normally, am I really still subject to higher maintenance?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try the forced induction forum. To really answer that question you have to see for yourself whats all involved with a boosted car. How the turbo works, what parts are involved, what can go wrong things of that nature. That will help you understand what to look for in a boosted car and you'll see what trouble spots to look for. Especially when you buying someone elses boosted car, you dont know how well it was tuned, and that can really be the most important part of the boost. If its a shoddy tune, no matter how quality the parts are you're gonna have problems. That for one is why I wouldn't buy a boosted car. Not to discourage you, obviously its your money. But it may be more beneficial in the long run to really read up do some research and get some hands on time and boost a car that you know is goin to be done right. Best of luck.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: In search of a Honda (EM1_00Si)

That's a very good suggestion... I will open a post there to see if I can get some more good advice. I would really like a boosted car :-), but I'm still skeptical.