Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle

hi guys. new user here. tried searching but couldnt find anything. have a problem with my civic. after warmed up and having been driven for a couple miles, whenever i stop at a light the car "studders" feeling as if it will cut off. has cut off about 3 times in the past 6 months but seems to have been "studdering" for that long. studdering is worsened in the summer when i have the a/c on. tried changing spark plugs but didnt help. any suggestions?

also, just put in an aem cai a few days ago and now for some odd reason, sometimes when idle in "P" or "N" revs will shoot up an down from 800 to 2500 back and forth. just curious about this prob also. any replys appreciated, thanx.

is a 94 civic ex (d16z6) coupe w/ auto tranny; all stock except the aem cai and bosch plugs from autozone
Old 04-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: rough idle (ATLianIntruder)

loose the bosch plugs and go with ngk replacements, but thats not the problem. if you know what your i a c valve is unplug it. if it stalls, clean out your fast idle valve. if it doesnt, you need an i a c valve. you may need a helms to help you out. i have also seen on one rare occasion that a wire was bad goin to the i a c vlave. good luck.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rough idle (boostedcivicsir)

ok, a few more questions. what is a fast idle valve and how do i clean it? what does this iac valve look like and where is it. and whats a helms?
Old 05-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this my iac valve?

Modified by ATLianIntruder at 2:05 AM 5/15/2003
Old 05-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (ATLianIntruder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATLianIntruder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this my iac valve? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no.....it's righr behind the throttle body and intake manifold mating area....has a black cylinder on one end, 2 hoses into it, and one sensor connection, held on by 2 12mm bolts
Old 05-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (Emerika)

Old 05-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, that was kinda funny. anyway, thanx man.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATLianIntruder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, that was kinda funny. anyway, thanx man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you making fun of my airbrushing....lol

pull it off WHEN the engine is cool- don't want to be burned with hot water from the hoses.

When you pull it off, you will see a little metal screen...clean it out wit carb cleaner, reset the ecu, plug it up, and see if that helps.

Try adjusting the idle screw also and get your idle at the correct rpm.

Re-gap your plugs to spec, etc, run fuel injection clean, blah blah
Old 05-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is it on a d16y7?
Old 05-16-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Emerika)

one last thing. how do i get it off. i tried pulling it and it seems to be stuck on there. or am i jus a moron an have to unscrew the bolts off first...
Old 05-16-2003, 07:21 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: rough idle (ATLianIntruder)

I would almost guarentee that your problem is NOT the electronic idel air valve that is on the back of the intake manhifold.

I'll bet it's your fast idle valve under the throttle plate on the bottom of your throttle body.

I've sen dozens of those go bad in my 7+ years of working in and around Honda/Acura dealers, and I've never seen one electronic idela air control valve (on the back of the intake manifold) go bad on a 1992-1995 Civic.

Here's what you do:

Pull off the the fast idle valve from the bottom of your TB. It'll be held in by maybe 4 10mm nuts. It'll also have a coolant line on it or two, so disconnect those too.

Then take a phillips head screwdriver and take off the two screws on the end cap and look inside.

Inside there will be a big plastic plate that should be screwed into the FIV itself. Usually this spring-loaded plate comes unscrewed and messes up your idle. Take some RVT sealant (preferably Hondabond) and put it on the edge of the plastic disc. Screw it back in about halfway and reinstall the FIV.

Adjust the idle via the throttle mixture screw and that should pix the problem.

If the spring inside of the FIV is broken then buy a new FIV for like $40.00 or something like that from Honda.

Old 05-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rough idle (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would almost guarentee that your problem is NOT the electronic idel air valve that is on the back of the intake manhifold.

I'll bet it's your fast idle valve under the throttle plate on the bottom of your throttle body.

I've sen dozens of those go bad in my 7+ years of working in and around Honda/Acura dealers, and I've never seen one electronic idela air control valve (on the back of the intake manifold) go bad on a 1992-1995 Civic.

Here's what you do:

Pull off the the fast idle valve from the bottom of your TB. It'll be held in by maybe 4 10mm nuts. It'll also have a coolant line on it or two, so disconnect those too.

Then take a phillips head screwdriver and take off the two screws on the end cap and look inside.

Inside there will be a big plastic plate that should be screwed into the FIV itself. Usually this spring-loaded plate comes unscrewed and messes up your idle. Take some RVT sealant (preferably Hondabond) and put it on the edge of the plastic disc. Screw it back in about halfway and reinstall the FIV.

Adjust the idle via the throttle mixture screw and that should pix the problem.

If the spring inside of the FIV is broken then buy a new FIV for like $40.00 or something like that from Honda.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

same situation happen to me this is what i did
Old 05-16-2003, 07:36 AM
Former Moderator

Look here:

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...+BODY

The part you're looking at is #10

See the plate, I think it's number 2 in that pic. That's what needs to be screwed back in.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, Tom should that work on my ZC too?? Its and OBD version of the motor, I cleaned my idle control valve and it worked a bit...but my idle still sits funny once in awhile...??

Could it be my dizzy??
Old 05-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: rough idle (SlowCivicHmm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowCivicHmm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, Tom should that work on my ZC too?? Its and OBD version of the motor, I cleaned my idle control valve and it worked a bit...but my idle still sits funny once in awhile...??

Could it be my dizzy??</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have any check engine lights or codes stored?
Old 05-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my check engine light has not turned on......it did once a while ago (like 2 months ago) car pulls the same just idles high during arm up and then after driving it it idles low....I have adjusted idle with the screw and nothing....

Just trying to figure it out......