Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rotational clunking while driving straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotational clunking while driving straight

Long story short: I bought a 99 Honda Civic Ex with a front end clunking noise. Mechanic said replace axle. We replaced the axle but were unable to lodge the hub loose from the old axle. So as a temporary fix, he loaned me his hub. (We have the same car...) The knock is still there.

This sound is not coming from the engine. It is coming from the front left side of the car. More towards under the pedals. I do not hear the sound in reverse.... Yet... It does get worse when on an incline. It doesn't happen when turning. It doesn't ONLY happen when going over bumps, but I have noticed the clunk after a bump in the road. As the title states, this is a rotational clunk that is loudest when you first start going and when coming to a stop.

I am trying to start with cheaper fixes. I have since replaced two motor mounts on the left hand side. Another mount behind the engine needs to be replaced as well. I have also done a tune up.

What do you guys think it could be? LCA? Sway bar end links? Brakes? Transmission?

Also, we double checked the axle to make sure we put the correct one on.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

chipmunkbugs
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rotational clunking while driving straight

is the noise in sych..like...is it click, 1, click, 2, click, 3, etc,etc?? Or is it sporadic and un guided?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would first replace all bad motor mounts. A mount out of alignment can cause serious axle problems.

I have a few questions to try and help you also:

Does your car have an intermediate shaft on the left or solid axle?

Does it do it in neutral with the clutch in or out?

Does it do it in only certain gears like 1st but not 3rd etc. and not others?

Does it do it if you are coasting in neutral and step on the brake?

Does it do when you are on the throttle but not present when you let off?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PirateCRX
I would first replace all bad motor mounts. A mount out of alignment can cause serious axle problems.

What's up Pirate? I have a 1995 Integra.
I just started having this same problem about a month ago and I can't seem to figure out what's making that clunking sound.
1. The car has a half shaft.

2. I don't really hear the clunking until I coast in neutral with and without the clutch in. The clunking slows down as I come to a stop.

3. It really just happens as I coast. If I move the steering wheel about an inch to right or left the noise stops. For example, I can hear the noise when driving straight/coasting but it doesn't clunk while I'm switching lanes. Once I switch to the new lane, the sound returns.

4. If I press the brakes while coasting, yes, I can still hear/feel the clunking.
I lay my foot (without pressing) on the clutch/brake pedals and I can feel it. It's coming from the left side. I can also feel it slightly on the steering wheel.

5. I mostly hear it when my foot is off the throttle. The open downpipe is a little too loud for me to hear while accelerating but I'd "feel" the clunking if I was pressing the gas. So my answer to this is usually as I'm coasting (off throttle),
Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all bushings. Especially on the LCA.

If they look fine, jack the front of the car up and put it in neutral. Manually rotate the tire. If you still hear the clunk try to pinpoint where it's coming from. With a new drive axle and hub on the car I'd rule out a bad wheel bearing. Also, and this might sounds stupid, but check the tire to see if there's not a rock or a screw stuck in it.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dseriesboulder
is the noise in sych..like...is it click, 1, click, 2, click, 3, etc,etc?? Or is it sporadic and un guided?
It is more of a sporadic noise, but once it starts knocking, the noise is in sync....
Old 06-24-2013, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PirateCRX
**Now that you say this, the Honda tech did say I needed a motor mount that I had to order from Honda.

** I'm assuming an intermediate shaft, seeing as how the mechanic replaced the left CV axle.

** Should have clarified, it's an automatic.

** No., the tranny shifts fine, but it does do it more between the speeds of 10 to 35 mph..

** Once I let go of the gas and slow down to 35 around mph, then it starts doing it.

**no.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95VegasTeg
What's up Pirate? I have a 1995 Integra.
I just started having this same problem about a month ago and I can't seem to figure out what's making that clunking sound.
1. The car has a half shaft.

2. I don't really hear the clunking until I coast in neutral with and without the clutch in. The clunking slows down as I come to a stop.

3. It really just happens as I coast. If I move the steering wheel about an inch to right or left the noise stops. For example, I can hear the noise when driving straight/coasting but it doesn't clunk while I'm switching lanes. Once I switch to the new lane, the sound returns.

4. If I press the brakes while coasting, yes, I can still hear/feel the clunking.
I lay my foot (without pressing) on the clutch/brake pedals and I can feel it. It's coming from the left side. I can also feel it slightly on the steering wheel.

5. I mostly hear it when my foot is off the throttle. The open downpipe is a little too loud for me to hear while accelerating but I'd "feel" the clunking if I was pressing the gas. So my answer to this is usually as I'm coasting (off throttle),
Let me know if you found the problem. I replaced the tie rod ends and that helped decrease the loudness of the knocking. At this point I'm banking on this motor mount. The guy said it was on the rear of the motor, which ties to the tranny and could ultimately cause the feeling we feel in the steering wheel as well as the knocking in the left side if the axle and tranny are moving around.I'm not a mechanic so I could be wrong, but keep me posted.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Knocking was from worn inner tie rods along with a bad rack and pinion....
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Glad you go it figured out. Some times those kind of noises can be very hard to trace.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chipmunkbug
Knocking was from worn inner tie rods along with a bad rack and pinion....
It must feel good not to hear that annoying noise anymore. I will change my rack and pinion out and see that solves my problem as well. Did a mechanic find the problem for you or did you find it yourself. I wonder what the long term effects are, I've been driving like this for about 3 months.