Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

That Ricey Raspy Buzzing exhaust sound...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That Ricey Raspy Buzzing exhaust sound...

You all know what I'm talking about, that sound fart can sound that you get with a cheap muffler all the time?

I'm running a 2.5" custom headerback exhaust with a cherry bomb resonator, magnaflo hi-flow cat and a brand new greddy sp muffler.

The car sound great up to about 4,000 rpm...then it starts to get that buzzy sound. Would taking out the res make this worse or better?

edit: I have a d16z6 (1.6L SOHC vtec)..if that makes a difference...although I figure a 1.8L would sound a lot better
Old 11-23-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: That Ricey Raspy Buzzing exhaust sound... (ckrieg)

worse
Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 PM
lulz

i got me a 2.25 in crush bend exhaust with 21in res. and obx axel back and it has a nice deep hum. i dont know what you can do to fix it.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my gf has a automatic and gets a buzzing sound from the muffler when she guns it haha..
Stat:
2.25" pipes from stock catback
No resonator
Ebay muffler

-- Sounds okay till she hits like 3k rpm then gets really loud and once before it gets out of first gear it buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsessezszsszszc dfafkjlakfjoewi0193u

oh well
Old 11-23-2005, 07:37 PM

i get the same buzzing at 3k, but does yours go away around 4.5k?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97spooncivic)

will a cherry bomb is guna really help, try having an oem welded in place
Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my gf's goes away.. its only if she gases high
Old 11-23-2005, 10:43 PM

Get a B-series..it sounds better....Or turbo it, that'll quiet it down some
Old 11-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: That Ricey Raspy Buzzing exhaust sound... (reddohcvtec)

What is done to the engine? Do you really need a high-flow cat?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tuck'd98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tuck’d98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try having an oem welded in place</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I did. Welded an OEM to a 2.25 Magnaflow catback. Works great, sounds...better than yours
Old 11-24-2005, 01:00 AM
RTI

Default Re: (JimmyAtlantis)

I have a GSR motor, no cat, glass pack resonator, and ultraflo muffler with 2.25 inch piping all the way. It sounds like crap after 4000, and even worse at 4400 when it goes into vtec. My greddy with cat used to sound like this too, but went away when the cat warmed up.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: (RTI)

92 DX hatch, 2.25 mandrel bent exhaust fromt he header back, magna flow muffler.

I get the raspy sound only when i am on the throttle. If I am just cruising, say on the freeway, Its a reaaly deep tone.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG_Civic_GSR)

okay.. is this the buzzing sound?
Video Clip - 1.47 MB - WMV Format - http://home.comcast.net/~pinoynmotion/Movie.wmv
Old 11-24-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: (JamesV)

Thats what my car sort of sounds like...but 10x louder !

At an idle its a reaaaaalllyyy deep tone, sounds HaWt y0 ! Then when I start driving it gets all high pitched and raspy.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yeah.. my gf needs a silencer and a resonator :-\ it gets annoying when we drive far
Old 11-24-2005, 03:36 PM
lulz

i think that its all from the cheapo mufflers i got axel back cat and resonator and it sounds great not buzz or nutin like that
Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: (92'BluV-tecHatch)

^ but I have a brand new greddy muffler on there...that shouldn't be the problem...
Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
EG8
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ckrieg)

I have found that having a resonator will reduce the buzzing noise by a large amount. Did a test on my buddys EG6, without a resonator, stock cat and OBX muffler, it sounded freaking awful. Went to summit racing bought a dynomax 2.5 race bullet muffler (resonator) installed it and about 95% of all buzzing went away.

Resonators smooth out the exhaust, most people get one a we bit larger then piping size (2.25 piping size 2.5 inch resonator)
Old 11-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a COMPTECH header with a magnaflow hi-flow cat and GREDDY SP2 and my car sounds nice and quiet all the time...maybe because its an LS?
the Greddy will change its tone a ltitle bit after 500-1000 miles.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

Get a bigger resonator.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 PM
EJ7

Check for exhaust leaks, sounds the same as when I was missing an exhaust gasket.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: That Ricey Raspy Buzzing exhaust sound... (EJ7)

2.5 inches is way too big for anything less than 2.5 liters and naturally aspirated. That's part of the problem. If you had 2 inch ID or 2.25 inch piping (which is usually measured by OD), you would increase exhaust velocity, pick up some power, and get a smoother sound. I doubt you'll take my advice since exhaust size is akin to ***** envy, so you could alternatively try adding an additional resonator or wrap the piping with exhaust wrap. I also know that you wont want to switch your high flow cat out for a used OEM cat, but that would have a big effect on the sound.

Brand new exhaust opponents will sound tinny. The sound will start to smooth out some after the inside of the piping gets baked in.

If the timing is too far advanced or the mixture is lean it can make the exhaust sound kind of raspy.

Personally, I don't give a rats *** what the car sounds like under heavy throttle at 3500+ RPM. It's supposed to scream and get all nasty. At cruise and light acceleration my car is fairly quiet with a deep hum. I have a SOHC vtec, DC 421 two piece header, Carsound (Magnaflow) high flow cat (stock one was bad), 2 inch piping to the cherry bomb resonator (oriented backward, look inside both ends of it and you'll see why), from the resonator back its 2.25 piping to a Magnaflow alumnized straight through muffler and no exhaust tip. It's not a bad idea for the exhaust diameter to increase slightly halfway down the car since the exhaust gases slow and expand. The header downpipe, cat, and resonator all come 2 inches anyway, but mufflers that small are not usually stocked by exhaust shops.

I get a lot of compliments and non-Honda people often overestimate the size of them motor or think that it's a twin cam.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (ckrieg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ckrieg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ but I have a brand new greddy muffler on there...that shouldn't be the problem...</TD></TR></TABLE>

My brother had a full greddy evo exhaust on his 98 EX. Sounded raspy from day one, and he put a lot of miles on it before selling, more than needed to eliminate it. Low tone, not tinny, but raspy.

Higher flow components will always let the higher pitched 'tinny' sounds through. My 67 firebird has tubular headers, no cat (legally ), no resonator, just a flowmaster 2.5" dual with two 40-series mufflers. You can hear the valves slapping shut (just slightly) over the very deep 'guhh guhh guhh'.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: That Ricey Raspy Buzzing exhaust sound... (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2.5 inches is way too big for anything less than 2.5 liters and naturally aspirated. That's part of the problem. If you had 2 inch ID or 2.25 inch piping (which is usually measured by OD), you would increase exhaust velocity, pick up some power, and get a smoother sound. I doubt you'll take my advice since exhaust size is akin to ***** envy, so you could alternatively try adding an additional resonator or wrap the piping with exhaust wrap. I also know that you wont want to switch your high flow cat out for a used OEM cat, but that would have a big effect on the sound.

Brand new exhaust opponents will sound tinny. The sound will start to smooth out some after the inside of the piping gets baked in.

If the timing is too far advanced or the mixture is lean it can make the exhaust sound kind of raspy.

Personally, I don't give a rats *** what the car sounds like under heavy throttle at 3500+ RPM. It's supposed to scream and get all nasty. At cruise and light acceleration my car is fairly quiet with a deep hum. I have a SOHC vtec, DC 421 two piece header, Carsound (Magnaflow) high flow cat (stock one was bad), 2 inch piping to the cherry bomb resonator (oriented backward, look inside both ends of it and you'll see why), from the resonator back its 2.25 piping to a Magnaflow alumnized straight through muffler and no exhaust tip. It's not a bad idea for the exhaust diameter to increase slightly halfway down the car since the exhaust gases slow and expand. The header downpipe, cat, and resonator all come 2 inches anyway, but mufflers that small are not usually stocked by exhaust shops.

I get a lot of compliments and non-Honda people often overestimate the size of them motor or think that it's a twin cam.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the truth is, when I had this exhaust made I was going to turbo, and so I decided to go with 2.5" as opposed to 2 or 2.25. What you said was very interesting, I"ll look into that exhaust wrap, and maybe also consider another resonator.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sohc honda engines ALWAYS get that buzz. who knows why, but id say run a test pipe, header, 2.25 piping or whatever you choose with a stock muffler. still sound nice (louder than stock) but you wont have the buzz plus it looks better than a can IMO. every single sohc ive heard with an exhaust wether it be an apexi, tanabe, or a generic fart can sounds like that. id say if there was a muffler that had any chance of not sounding buzzy it would be a mugen twinloop or a t1r sports muffler. on my gsr (granted its dohc) the t1r (street muffler) was noticeably smoother and deeper sounding than my apixi n1 piece of crap. in other words you get what you pay for! hope this helps

Quick Reply: That Ricey Raspy Buzzing exhaust sound...