Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

RHD Firewall swap question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHD Firewall swap question.

I've read tons of write ups but each one has been fairly vague in one aspect or another.

if someone had all the tools needed to do it themselves, how hard of a project is this to tackle over a 4-5 month period? Also what would be the cost of doing it, just the firewall/dash and pedal swap? My friend is extremely good at car electrical and I'm extremely good at rewelding front ends as I've already done a complete front end replacement on an eagle talon.
Are the parts difficult to obtain?

Thanks
-Steve
Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 PM

Default Re: RHD Firewall swap question. (cky89)

http://www.nostreetracing.org/...l+sol
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Default Re: RHD Firewall swap question. (gezzuzz)

Seen that earlier, looks awesome. No write up though. I've got plenty of time to get it done, I just want to do it right the first time.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drill out a ton of spot welds on the rhd clip n pull out the firewall then do the same to ur car, swap the 2 and weld it back in place
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 PM

Default Re: (ekb16)

It just seems too easy, and the thought of it being that easy kind of scares me a bit.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM

wow four months...that is way more than enogh time just didi my conversion ..was able to do it in about less than a month.. to put everything back together..and that because i was low on money..

Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RHD Firewall swap question. (1jdmek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1jdmek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow four months...that is way more than enogh time just didi my conversion ..was able to do it in about less than a month.. to put everything back together..and that because i was low on money..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah itdoesn't take a very long time. Just make sure you have everything and your set to go. I would figure out the windshield before starting.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Re: RHD Firewall swap question. (meandino)

yeah i almost got mine out with no damage...til the end it cracked..so gotta get a new one lol
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RHD Firewall swap question. (1jdmek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1jdmek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i almost got mine out with no damage...til the end it cracked..so gotta get a new one lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine was cracked. We used a hammer.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (cky89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cky89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It just seems too easy, and the thought of it being that easy kind of scares me a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If by easy you mean comparable to saying, "Professionally paint the car," "Bake a turkey," or "Shingle the roof."

Sure, you can say how "easy" it is, but that also ignores how time consuming or particular it might really be.

I would not call a firewall swap "easy", especially not for someone who has never done one before.

"Remove all the wiring," sounds a lot less complicated than actually doing it, keeping track of it, not damaging anything and then putting it all back in the right way.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

I know what you mean. I'm just saying that the process may be time consuming, it seems like there should be more to it than what there really is. I know it will be time consuming and that's good. I'm looking for a project I can take my time on.

What does an estimated price look like for the JDM clip? I've seen prices vary from 1k-2k, avg being 1200 but I'm not all too sure what that would include in a 'complete' swap
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 PM

This project should only take you 2 weeks at the most. Make sure you buy enough drill bits, and drill all the spot welds. Take your time and do it right and its a snap. Use copper on the otherside of where your welding the spot welds. Flux wont stick to it and you'll have nice welds, unlike the guy in thoses pictures that had to cover them up with sealant. You can use your existing harness just flip it, same as the pedals.Dash frewall and racknpinion and your good to go.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

Default Re: RHD Firewall swap question. (RhDeG6r)

Awsome tips, appreciate the help. I'm going to do a ton more research into this before I even think about buying anything.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 AM

Alright, well as soon as I can find a clean sol shell, I'm going to venture into this project. I figure why the hell not. It's been done, and can be done. I've got enough experience to tackle this project, especially with the help of friends who are also experienced.

Once I find a shell and a clip I'll be posting up a build thread.

Any other information any of you may have on this conversion please post up and let me know what ya got.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.
-Steve
Old 03-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cky89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any other information any of you may have on this conversion please post up and let me know what ya got. </TD></TR></TABLE>

When I was in the middle of my project I wish I had a drill bit sharpener. You'll soon see what I mean. I also used oil to keep the drill bits from heating up to much. Make sure to get a front strut bar so when you go to put the RHD firewall in, it lines up correct. A torch really helped out to get all the sealer striped out.

As fare as price goes. I found a DA6 front clip with no motor for $400. That was a great price. Even had the suspension on it as well. Look around and keep your eyes open for great deals like that.

Look up in NOFX's thread on where to start to finding some places to go for this kind of stuff. Really great thread by her and I use it a lot. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2059889

GL with the project, and don't forget to start a new thread to post up how your project is coming along.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Default Re: RHD Firewall swap question. (meandino)

Awesome stuff! Hopefully this will go nice and smooth.
I'll post up a build thread as soon as I can find a clean shell. I hope to start the project by june