Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Restoring trim on your EK...(how to)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring trim on your EK...(how to)

I don't claim to be the first to use this technique, because I learned it from another forum. You can laugh, because I did at first, until I tried it. Take some creamy peanut butter, and smear it on the trim, and watch as it instantly pulls out white wax residue out of the trim. This is perfect for the quarter window trim, and also for the bottom trim of the driver and passenger side windows. Also this works well on the roof gutter trim. I even used a little bit on the plastic base of the anntena. Use VERY small ammounts of this stuff. Not even a pea size, and work it in slowly. Try not to get it on the paint. You can even mask off the area as not to get it on the paint. I am unsure of the effect of peanut butter on the paint job.

Before and After pictures:

As you can tell, mine were in very rough condition. These pictures were taken in direct sunlight, too.

I don't take any responsibility if it messes your trim up, just something I tried and was pleased. Thought I'd share. I see so many EK's in town, and all of them have the same problem I had (maybe not to the severity of mine) and I was impressed with the results!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Restoring trim on your EK...(how to) (redline5th)

wow dude i give you props thats pretty funny thinking peanut butter would do something like that. Ill try it i won't loose anything.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Restoring trim on your EK...(how to) (fastlimegreencivic)

How is it for long term? Ive used the back to black stuff and after a couple of washes, it goes straight back to looking like ****. Does it completely remove the wax?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Restoring trim on your EK...(how to) (jdmztrane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmztrane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is it for long term? Ive used the back to black stuff and after a couple of washes, it goes straight back to looking like ****. Does it completely remove the wax?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am unsure of the long term, I just tried this today.

All I know is that back to black didn't do ANYTHING for my trim pieces, because it was loaded with so much wax. Back to black simply covers it up, this should remove it. I am not totally sure, but everything I've read says that it removes it.

Make sure you buff it pretty good, and clean up all of the peanut butter...it'd suck to have a dog/cat attack your paintjob. I'm about to go wash my car to get the rest off.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it wont last
the peanut oils will wash away within a couple days

it may have removed the wax residue, but it wont stay shiny.
(people do that kind of stuff for car shows - even works on faded CF)
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Oh yeah, I don't expect it to stay shiney. That picture was after applying the stuff, within a few min it had gone back done to a more flat color, as it was in the direct sun light. (much like applying tire shine)

We'll see if it fades back to a white color....
Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redline5th)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline5th &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah, I don't expect it to stay shiney. That picture was after applying the stuff, within a few min it had gone back done to a more flat color, as it was in the direct sun light. (much like applying tire shine)

We'll see if it fades back to a white color....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thats all I need to know before I do it.... does it go back to white. I think I may end up just buying all new ones
Old 04-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmztrane)

did the peanut butter trick on the trim of my friend's BMW, and it removed the wax residue. It looks like the rest of his trim again, no more white marks.

I heard to make sure not to get it on the paint, but i dont know for sure
Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmztrane)

i have been looking for ages to find trim where can you find it and how much does it cost? thanks