Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing dash lights, help if you can

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing dash lights, help if you can

How do I remove the ac control area or temperature control area whatever its called on a '95 Civic ex? I tried a few times but every attempt I make usually involves having to break something I'm thinking about just removing the whole instrument panel but if anyone knows a quicker way I could use the help

I just got a new stereo installed so I wanted to change out all the lights on my dash to match with the stereo lights, they need to be replaced anyway.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just replaced mine today, the gauge cluster bulbs and the climate control bulbs. before you do anything, be sure to disconnect the battery terminal, and then go under the steering wheel and unscrew the little cover and disconnect the airbag, putting the red safety clip on it, so it doesnt ever blow up in your face. leave that on until you are completely done and have everything completely assembled and screwed in again. the gauge cluster is easy: taking out the bezel and removing a few screws. all the brown plugs are the lights that light the gauges, there are 6. 5 of them are bigger, which are #24's (you can get them at most auto stores i think) and the small one is a #74. if you want colors you can buy regular incandescent bulbs and paint them, and ive heard that works well, you can buy some colored bulbs, or you can go LED. you will probably have to order these online though, and you have to make sure they are the right sizes.

as for the climate control area, to say its a pain in the *** would be an understatement. you have to remove the section below the radio where the cigarette lighter is, there are 4 screws, and unplug the cigarette lighter if you want to toss the whole piece out of the way while you're working. then remove your stereo. if you have an aftermarket stereo with a DIN sleeve, you will probably have to remove it, to get to the screws under the climate control. before you go any farther, i would remove the cluster bezel above, where the clock and hazard lights are, if you havent already done so. this will give you much better access to things as you can work with both hands under and over trying to manhandle these things in and out. there are 3 screws holding the climate control, from underneath. one towards the back, right in the middle, and the other two are right up front on the left and right, they are sort of up and behind so you have to feel around for them. at this point find the heater control cable that runs down, next to/below the glove box, and disconnect it from the tab and clamp its in. once you get those out, you have to remove the two harness plugs from behind the climate control, and they are the worst to deal with i think. after all is said and done here, you remove the climate control unit, and then take apart the front of it to get to the bulbs, which involves removing even more screws and pulling clips. the bulbs in there are #74's as well, but these will be much harder to push in, so you may need to take more apart and remove the sockets from behind so you have more leverage and can force them in, then replace them into the holes. so all in all you need 5 #24's and 3 #74's, but i think they come in packs of 2's so you'll have extras. in the absolute middle of all this, after you have everything out and before you put anything back in, you will have about 234987234 screws and parts lying around, so make sure you dont lose any of them. once you replace the bulbs, plug everything in without screwing anything in. connect the battery (leaving airbag disconnected) and test them to make sure they all work. if so, disconnect battery again, then reassemble everything, reconnect battery and finally the airbag. sorry if some of this is redundant, but i really dont think there is any quicker way, i was looking at it all as i went along, seeing if there could be any way to shortcut anything... there is not. its an unforgiving labrynth of screws and clips. good luck.