Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing 49-state catalytic converter to california car. Okay? Problematic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Replacing 49-state catalytic converter to california car. Okay? Problematic?

Hi, I have California Civic EX '99 Couple that needs its California catalytic converter replaced.

But since I'm not a California resident (don't live there, either) and the car is currently Oklahoma registered (I'll be living there for quite sometime), can I replace the California catalytic converter with 49-state approved one instead? It's way more expensive and hard to find California catalytic converter in Oklahoma.

Would that mess up the system? The O2 sensor? The engine? Timing? Anything? Or can it'll just fit in just fine with the exception that I can't use it in California?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replacing 49-state catalytic converter to california car. Okay? Problematic?

Originally Posted by thereisacat
Hi, I have California Civic EX '99 Couple that needs its California catalytic converter replaced.

But since I'm not a California resident (don't live there, either) and the car is currently Oklahoma registered (I'll be living there for quite sometime), can I replace the California catalytic converter with 49-state approved one instead? It's way more expensive and hard to find California catalytic converter in Oklahoma.

Would that mess up the system? The O2 sensor? The engine? Timing? Anything? Or can it'll just fit in just fine with the exception that I can't use it in California?

Thank you in advance.
I don't see where it would mess anything up. Just as long as you keep your sensors in the same spot and not using a test pipe. If you switch out to a test pipe you'll need to get a defouler to push the secondary o2 sensor out of the gases some. Thats what I did to my car. But to answer your question. You can use any converter as long as your not going to smog in cali.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing 49-state catalytic converter to california car. Okay? Problematic?

It's the same converter the ca converter just has the stamp on it which makes it expensive.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lineman
It's the same converter the ca converter just has the stamp on it which makes it expensive.
^ This. Companies have to pay California for the C.A.R.B. rating but they do the exact same thing. I have a 49 state cat on and it passes fine.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, didn't know that it's basically the same thing with the extra $$$ for the certification stamp. Thanks for the info!

Any recommended catalytic converter brand / model? I'm browsing on Ebay right now. Not looking for anything sporty or high-powered one. I just want one that lasts long for years and is very durable and good for regular commute.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a cat that I put on just for smog and run a test pipe the rest of year, so I'm not sure how long they last.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpeedRacerEX-R
I have a cat that I put on just for smog and run a test pipe the rest of year, so I'm not sure how long they last.
Wow, didn't know that it's basically the same thing with the extra $$$ for the certification stamp. Thanks for the info!

Any recommended catalytic converter brand / model? I'm browsing on Ebay right now. Not looking for anything sporty or high-powered one. I just want one that lasts long for years and is very durable and good for regular commute.
The manga flow ones are decent and you can usually find them under 100. Not oem quality but get the job done.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WALKER 15863 Ultra Converter

You can get from rockauto for ~$123+shipping fees. Be thankful you don't have a y7 engine-had to do that cat on that which is integrated into the EM. Pain in the butt and expensive too. Walker actually makes OEM exhausts for a bunch of manufacturers.