Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Remote start on civic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start on civic?

Hey anyone have a good diy on how to install a remote start on a 96-00 civic, with manual tranny? some dude at circut city told me hed do it for 200, but if i can do it why waist the money....thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Remote start on civic? (userdead626)

trust me give him the 200 save yourself
Old 01-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Remote start on civic? (civictildeath)

Uh, its illegal to install a remote start with a manual transmission. If the car is accidentally left in gear and you try to start it, it will lunge forward and stall, creating a HUGE potential for disaster.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Remote start on civic? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Uh, its illegal to install a remote start with a manual transmission. If the car is accidentally left in gear and you try to start it, it will lunge forward and stall, creating a HUGE potential for disaster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

unless it is compustar
Old 01-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote start on civic? (Btothe3rdDegree)

yeah the thing has some deal where the car has to be in neutral.....but in any matter, i dont understand exactly how the car could go very far if the e-brake is on?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by userdead626 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the thing has some deal where the car has to be in neutral.....but in any matter, i dont understand exactly how the car could go very far if the e-brake is on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

E-brake isnt all powerful, my car will lunge forward if it stalls even if the e-brake is all the way up.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but i mean how much power dose it have? 99% of the time when i park where i live it would just hit a parking curb, so itd stall then right?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:32 PM

Remote starts are for old people and they shouldn't be driving.

And wtf dood? You live in texas, they are for cold starts to warm the car up....I thought :shrugs:

Auto-starter=madd rep points

l
Honda-Tech Member

the one i had used a thing to make sure it wasnt in gear..but it was the biggest pain to install...i would think about spendin the money its by no means easy...to top things off with my install we lost my key when we finished at like 6 in the morning but we eventually found it at like 8 it sucked so bad...plus if you happen to have the key with a chip in it you gotta have the key in the car at all times..like taped under the column or somthing...i had a transponder that was supposed to make it work without the key but we never got it to work.

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

E-brake isnt all powerful, my car will lunge forward if it stalls even if the e-brake is all the way up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, my friend was at the track last night and it didn't look like he was holding the e-brake long enough for his burn out, but he was saying it was all the way up.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote start on civic? (SOHC4life 96)

Can't you construct a sensor... so that way if it is nuetral than it will start up, but if it's not in nuetral it won't start?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:37 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Remote start on civic? (Mario.)

$200 is an absolute rip for installing a remote start alone. I was quoted $100 from a dude at Circuit City but didn't go for it. I'm sure you can get it for cheaper. But be warned, it's illegal and your car might fly into a wall if you aren't careful.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:37 PM

Yeah its called a bypass switch, which = pain in tha ***
Old 01-07-2005, 09:39 PM

My car used to be auto, but it's now converted to manual with the clutch switch bypassed and trust me, the e-brake will not hold the car when the starter is trying to turn your motor over with it in gear. Your car will lunge forward or backward, depending on what gear you're in.

I never thought it would happed to me but back then, I used to leave my car in gear when I parked. When I went to go start it, I didn't have to step on the clutch (b/c it's been bypassed), the car would lunge forward and scare the **** out of me. From then on, I always made sure it was in neutral before I started the car.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Remote start on civic? (_Edge.ONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the car is accidentally left in gear and you try to start it</TD></TR></TABLE>

they are suppose to have a safety feature that will not let you attempt to remotely start it while it is in gear.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can't you construct a sensor... so that way if it is nuetral than it will start up, but if it's not in nuetral it won't start?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There already is a sensor under the clutch pedal, but a remote start bypasses that sensor so that you can install it.

I always get warnings against doing it on manual tranny cars.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote start on civic? (2000EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There already is a sensor under the clutch pedal, but a remote start bypasses that sensor so that you can install it.

I always get warnings against doing it on manual tranny cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are talking about the sensor that detects whether the clutch is pressed in or not... it could care less what gear it's in.

I'm talking about a push-button style sensor, perhaps near the linkage, shifter, etc.... so that way you configure it when you are in neutral, this 'push-button' is being pressed in, so the car will start. However, if it is in any gear at all, the sensor is not being 'pressed in', so the car won't start.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just pay the guy to do it, the install is a BITCH i assure you

and as for remote start on manuals-

if you arent stupid, they are totally safe [not stupid meaning you park your car and leave it in neutral with the ebrake on]

also remote start is good for those of us with turbo in cold weather so that the car can be easily started and warmed up pre-entry so when you do go out in the freezing cold to your car you can go, and not sit in the cold for 20min waiting for the car to warm up
Old 01-08-2005, 08:06 AM
H-T White Ops

If you just get one of those $39.99 autostart things from Wal Mart or whatever and install it by bypassing the clutch switch, yes it CAN be dangerous. Get a quality autostart and you won't have any problems. I've had a compustar in my car for about 4 years now. I love it. No way the car is EVER going to get started in gear. The system won't let you. Unless you crawl under the car when it's off and armed and you move the shift rod into gear by hand. That's about the only way I can possibly think of that the car is going to even TRY to start in gear. Once it gets hopping the alarm is going to go off and kill everything anyway. So NO, it's never going to happen.
As far as only old people needing an autostart.......whatever. Try living in North Dakota during the winter. You'll want an autostart in the morning. -40* mornings and you have to go out to scrape windows and drive for 10 minutes in a car that's colder than a witch's titty before you get any kind of heat SUCKS! I used to wake up hit the alarm, grab my remote and turn the car on. By the time I got outside the car was warm, windows were defrosted and the engine could be reved over 3K without worrying I was gonna **** something up.

Anyway, to the OP, get a quality remote start that won't let you start the car in gear. Get something like a compustar that makes you shut the car off in a certain way to make sure that the car is out of gear with the e-brake up.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote start on civic? (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">trust me give him the 200 save yourself</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you don't know what your doing than that is a very good price. Besides the fact that its illegal to install on cars with a manual tranny. So he must be doing it on the side or something.

What is this compustar system? Does it use magnetic switches on the shifter or something. How does it know whent he car is in gear?

EDIT: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Islandsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyway, to the OP, get a quality remote start that won't let you start the car in gear. Get something like a compustar that makes you shut the car off in a certain way to make sure that the car is out of gear with the e-brake up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-08-2005, 08:44 AM
H-T White Ops

http://compustar.org/
Old 01-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

so i think im going to go with the compustart, with the 2--$ install....and allthough i agree the benefits of remote start would been seen in a cold place, itl be nice in the summer when i can get my ac rollin before i get in!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

don't do it man
Old 01-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got mine installed at a local radio shop. Mine won't start unless it is in neutral, I tried starting it in gear, and it won't. And remote starters aren't useless, they are VERY useful for New England winters
Old 01-08-2005, 05:18 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (The Pastor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Pastor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't do it man </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not?

Quick Reply: Remote start on civic?