Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

recomendations for swap day..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default recomendations for swap day..

Ok, I might be putting my JDM ITR engine into my 99 DX in the next couple of weeks, I have some questions before I go and do this.

1. Is it easy and safe to do on jackstands?
2. Can it be done with 2 people? My stepdad is going to help me.
3. Is the shift linkage a bitch to get off? Ive heard they can be..
4. Do I need any special or akward tools?
5. Do I need to check or replace the plugs before I turn it over for the first time?

There shouldn't be any wiring. My harness is a 99-00 Si harness, and the ecu is a 99 CTR ecu. The car is a 99 DX, and the engine is a 99 JDM ITR. Axles are 32mm..

I have a 99-00 Si rear tranny bracket, and a 99-00 Si drivers side mount bracket.

Any recomendations for doing a swap, please throw them at me. Anything I need to buy? Clamps, clips, washers, bolts, etc? I think this should only take 2 days at the most with the help of my stepdad...
Old 10-01-2002, 09:43 PM

Default Re: recomendations for swap day.. (Nameless)

My post is falling

help..
Old 10-01-2002, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I did mine on jack stands
2. Me and my brother.
3. Yes, get a punch set, or better yet use the a/c tensioning bolt from the old motor to use as a punch.
4. 32mm for the axles. Autozone has a balljoint seperator witch is very handy. Set of deep sockets.
5. Replace the plugs, they are cheap.

You will need to replace every fluid except windsheild wiper and brake fluid, and you might as well do that
Old 10-01-2002, 09:48 PM

Default Re: recomendations for swap day.. (97hb)

1. I did mine on jack stands
2. Me and my brother.
3. Yes, get a punch set, or better yet use the a/c tensioning bolt from the old motor to use as a punch.
4. 32mm for the axles. Autozone has a balljoint seperator witch is very handy. Set of deep sockets.
5. Replace the plugs, they are cheap.

You will need to replace every fluid except windsheild wiper and brake fluid, and you might as well do that
Thanks.

any other things people want to add, please do.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:49 PM

1. Is it easy and safe to do on jackstands?
Depends, there is always much unexpected crap that you will run into that will give you major headaches. Easy depends on your mechanic abilities already.
2. Can it be done with 2 people? My stepdad is going to help me.
Yes it can as long as both are mechanically knowledgeable, my father and I were the only people in that garage
3. Is the shift linkage a bitch to get off? Ive heard they can be..
Yes it is, only hard part being getting a punch to knock the pin loose.
4. Do I need any special or akward tools?
Flexible sockets will help and a couple of other things I forget, dont let them roll around or lose them, this will make the job more frustrating.
5. Do I need to check or replace the plugs before I turn it over for the first time?
I didn't but you can if you want.

Old 10-01-2002, 10:22 PM

Default Re: recomendations for swap day.. (EGB18hatch)

1. It's safe and easy.
2. Yes. I did.
3. I don't know. It was an SR20DET.
4. I used a flexible socket and house hold tools. That's it.
5. If you want. But I suggest change all fluids. use full synthetic gear oil and motor oil.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You look to be in good shape. As far as the shift linkage, I have always used a small socket that was perfectly the size of the pin that needs to be hit out.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:53 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: recomendations for swap day.. (96HatchB18)

All of those sound good, but nobody mentioned food. Nothing is better than taking a little break and having a large Mesquite Chicken from Quiznos!! That's all I ate when I did my friends' swap....tasty
Old 10-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

while you've got the b18c-r out of the car, you might as well change out the timing belt and water pump. just a suggestion. i actually didn't do that with my 2000 usdm b18c5 swap, 'cause i knew the car only had 16k miles on it. do you know how many your jdm motor has?

also, with the Si harness on the b18c5 you will have to use an Si IAT sensor (intake air temperature). on the b18c5 they are on the intake manifold, while on the Si they are on the intake arm before the throttle body. i have an ITR AEM CAI, so I jut drilled a hole in it and stuck the Si IAT sensor in.

oh also, the evap sensor plug on an Si harness is near the fuel rail. Your b18c-r will not have this sensor in that location. I pulled the evap sensor off of the wrecked 2000 itr i bought (close to the center of the top of the firewall), and extended the plug from the Si harness. I don't know if your PCT ecu will look for this sensor. To be emissions compliant in most states for obd2 cars you have to have your evap system functioning properly.

You will also have to splice in wires for the secondary o2 sensor at the ECU plugs unless your PCT ECU doesn't look for it, which I doubt. I had to do this to run my obd2 ecu and not have it throw a code, and be emissions legal. What I did after though was use an obd1 harness jumper with a skunk2 chipped P28. OBD1 P28 doesn't look for secondary o2.

If you're feeling really adventurous you could use an Si dash harness, 'cause it will have the plug necessary for you to plug your secondary o2 sensor into from under the car. You'll have to drill a hole for the plug to come up through into the car, but that'd be a lot cleaner and more OEM. I put in the Si dash harness as part of a power window/lock/mirror/keyless install, and now I don't have to splice in my secondary o2.

good luck, let me know if you have any problems...

[Modified by YumVTEC, 2:03 AM 10/3/2002]