Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Recaro seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:26 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Recaro seats

Anyone using these '89-91 Civic Si Recaro seats in their '96-00 Civic? If so, what did you do to make them fit?

Old 09-01-2003, 11:45 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Recaro seats (Targa250R)

didnt you already make another thread like this ..anyways i like the seats..im kinda interested in this now also
Old 09-01-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Recaro seats (ciRcuitSi y0!)

jus change the rails

ive seen 90 prelude seats in a new civic before and it looks kinda nice. original and looks kewl
Old 09-01-2003, 12:22 PM
be professional

Default Re: Recaro seats (ciRcuitSi y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">didnt you already make another thread like this </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes . . . but I figured a thread titled "Recaro seats" with a picture included would get more views.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyways i like the seats..im kinda interested in this now also</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I've been wanting to try this out ever since I got my 2000 Civic. Once I find a way to fit these in here, I intend to take them to an upholstery shop and have them re-upholstered with the patterned center section and the charcoal cloth of the 2000 Si seats. I want them to look just like they came in the car from the factory (like they should have . . . ).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmtr y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jus change the rails </TD></TR></TABLE>
See, that's the problem. I've tried swapping the rails, but the main problem is that the seats are physically more narrow than the '96-00 Civic seats, and even though I can get two bolts in on one side, the two bolts on the other side of the seat don't even come close to lining up with the holes in the floor. Also, only one '00 Civic rail can be swapped on to the '91 seat because only one side of the '00 seat matches up with the '91 seat; this makes the seat sit crooked because the '91 rails are nice and low, but the '00 rails are like friggin' stilts.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

See, that's the problem. I've tried swapping the rails, but the main problem is that the seats are physically more narrow than the '96-00 Civic seats, and even though I can get two bolts in on one side, the two bolts on the other side of the seat don't even come close to lining up with the holes in the floor. Also, only one '00 Civic rail can be swapped on to the '91 seat because only one side of the '00 seat matches up with the '91 seat; this makes the seat sit crooked because the '91 rails are nice and low, but the '00 rails are like friggin' stilts. </TD></TR></TABLE>
oh i see. ok, well um.. on me. the only other answer i can come up with is welding
Old 09-01-2003, 12:39 PM
be professional

Default Re: Recaro seats (allmtr y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmtr y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
oh i see. ok, well um.. on me. the only other answer i can come up with is welding</TD></TR></TABLE>
What exactly would I need to weld? Would I have to cut off the current mounting points, and re-weld them at a different angle/position so that they reach? Would this be a safe thing to do? Safety is a main concern for me.

Also, where would I go to have this work done?
Old 09-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You'd make a box frame that does fit your exising mount points... then make the holes in the box frame to mount the new seat... but it usually makes the seat sit a little higher. (and safety is a big concern... you'd want to make it structurally sound.)
Old 09-01-2003, 01:30 PM
be professional

Default Re: Recaro seats (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'd make a box frame that does fit your exising mount points... then make the holes in the box frame to mount the new seat... but it usually makes the seat sit a little higher. (and safety is a big concern... you'd want to make it structurally sound.)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ahh, I see . . . isn't this similar to the way that aftermarket seat brackets are made?

Thank you for the advice.

Is there anyone out there who is actually using these seats? I'd like to see your setup. Or am I the only one?

I know I've seen pics of these seats in a '94-01 Integra before, but I cannot find them now.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:58 PM
official honda whore

i know someone who has them... i believe his name on here is ek22tim or something like that
Old 09-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You may be able to swap the rails with the stock ones... or possibly with integra rails...

Another possibility is a seat pan swap... that was done to get s2000 seats into an ek I believe...

Search for "seat swap" and you may come up with something... or "rails"
Old 09-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Recaro seats (NonovUrbizniz)

Yes, it is me.. I have an H22 ek hatch with 91 CRX seats.
Anyway, I kept the existing rails, and made my own brackets. I had to weld them onto the seats, being SURE not to burn any holes in the seats themselves, as that just sux. I just designed some brackets and welded them in place.. As for their integrity, I don't know, never been in an accident, but I would hope they're just as strong as stock? I used some decently thick steel. I have no pics of them right now, but MAY be interested in manufacturing some for some income, if need be.
i still have the drawings....

I personally don't know why more people don't do this seat swap. EK seats are too high and unsupportive, IMO, especially the Si. these sit way lower and hold the occupant in place very well, imo. Let me know man. I may be able to make another set and give you the directions for installation, provided you have a welder. it'll take some time, but it's worth it!!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

89-91 Si Seats were made by recaro?!

I got a pair in my 90 Si....hmmm.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:28 PM
be professional

Default Re: Recaro seats (EK22Tim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK22Tim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, it is me.. I have an H22 ek hatch with 91 CRX seats.
Anyway, I kept the existing rails, and made my own brackets. I had to weld them onto the seats, being SURE not to burn any holes in the seats themselves, as that just sux. I just designed some brackets and welded them in place.. As for their integrity, I don't know, never been in an accident, but I would hope they're just as strong as stock? I used some decently thick steel. I have no pics of them right now, but MAY be interested in manufacturing some for some income, if need be.
i still have the drawings....

I personally don't know why more people don't do this seat swap. EK seats are too high and unsupportive, IMO, especially the Si. these sit way lower and hold the occupant in place very well, imo. Let me know man. I may be able to make another set and give you the directions for installation, provided you have a welder. it'll take some time, but it's worth it!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wow, thank you for responding!!!

I think the CRX seat rails are actually different from the G4 Civic seat rails, since it appears that CRX seats will not just bolt in to a G4 Civic. Even though they are slightly different, I would still like to see some pics of how you set up your mounts and I may be interested in a set if you decide to make more. Thanks!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HXMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">89-91 Si Seats were made by recaro?!

I got a pair in my 90 Si....hmmm.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The '89-91 Civic Si seats were designed by Recaro for Honda, but I'm not sure who actually manufactured them, Recaro or Honda.

The similar '88-91 CRX Si/DX seats were actual Recaro seats, that Recaro sold in their own product line at that time. I believe it was called the "Tour" seat but I may be mistaken on that one.

Regardless, the 4th-gen Si seats are definitely great, and it's a shame that Honda didn't continue using these in North American Si Civics.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem! Glad to help. No, Civic Si seats of that year and CRX Si seats of that year are totally different.. The CRX Si ones are made by Recaro.
Anyways, I'll *try* and get some pics of the seat brackets tonight for ya. We'll go from there. Cool?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:59 AM
be professional

Default Re: Recaro seats (EK22Tim)

Much thanks to you!

I hope to do a write-up and get some good pictures of this project from start to finish, to help out anyone who may be interested in doing this seat swap in the future.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:10 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had those in my CRX and loved them, so I would also like to see this done.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You might have to make your own rails and brackets... Good luck..