Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!!

Wassup. I have a 97 honda civic hatchback and the rear bolts that hold the bottom of the forks that hold the struts on are both stuck. I heard alot of peeps have had this problem. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it..thanks...
Old 03-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (97hatchblack)

do you have a picture of it? It'll help if you have one.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (handa)

I assume you're talking about the rear LCA bolt that connects the Shock to the LCA. When mine was stuck, here's what I did:

1. Sprayed it down with WD-40, waited a few minutes.
2. Used a breaker bar and it came loose

If the head of the bolt happens to break off, then you'll need to drill it out. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

common problem

you need to cut the bolt off and drill it out. Goodluck!!
do a search, if you want more infors!!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (HATCHingMN)

Id cut it off as a last resort. Let it sit over night with some PB Blaster or WD-40, and Just try a really big breaker bar. If you dont have one, use a big piece of exhaust pipe.. me and preacherboy did this to get off some really tight bolts!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (Syzle)

you guys think its possible to get the bolt out of a 92 Civic without breaking it? I've heard that either the bolt will break or the bushing will be torn apart.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (slowsleeper)

i just had this problem with my civic...that bolt is seized, its common for honda's but neways to fix ur problem....WD-40 isnt all you need, that sucka is seized so your gonna have to result in torching it off but becareful because you dont want to burn up your shocks...then spray some sort of rust penitrent spray on it such as WD-40, then try taking it off...continue this process...if it still doesnt come out then ur gonna have to result to cutiting that thing off, thas what i ended up doing .....oh yeah, you will also need new bushings for the shocks...hope this helps you out a bit!
Old 03-31-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowsleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys think its possible to get the bolt out of a 92 Civic without breaking it? I've heard that either the bolt will break or the bushing will be torn apart.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I did my 92 EG SI HB suspension last fall, before the winter snow in MN. Let me tell you this, you need to plan ahead because the bolt is dead rusted together become one with the metal sleeve...you can try to torch it up or spray loads of wd-40 but it wont do **** at all. My was rusted badly when I loosen the bolt the whole bushing,sleeve, and bolt turns. I end up cutting the bolt/sleeve all together. It was tough and took awhile, because I dont have the new bolt/bushing.
Are you replacing the whole springs and shock or just the spring??

To answere you question, ....
No chance you can loose up the rear bolt on your 92 civic especially one in MN!! but you can spray alot of dw-40 everynight for a week and try loosen on the weekend. If that doesn't work, I subjust you cut it off and drill it out
Old 04-01-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (Got Utensils)

Thanks everyone for the info. It really helped but i was wondering after i cut the bolt off the lca do you know what kind of bolt i can replace it with and how easy is it to drill out the remaining fragments of the bolt left over. and also where can i buy the bushings that i have to cut off. Does Honda sell those bushings seperatley
Old 04-01-2004, 04:16 PM

I had the same problem. I let it soak in WD-40 for half an hour and it came lookse with a breaker bar.

Also, to drill it out just get a bit smaller than the bolt and drill into it. it should come out easy.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (AmginE)

First try soaking it in pb blaster, then heat the hell out of the NUT SIDE and use a large breaker bar, this is the best way to break any bond that the rust has as rust any of the pb blaster that has seeped into the rust heats up and expands, thus USUALLY breaking the bond of rust. Good luck, KYLE
Old 04-03-2004, 04:37 AM

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (b18c1civic)

Thanks guys again for the replies. It really helped me alot. Im going to soak it with pb blaster overnight but i was wondering what is a breaker bar and where can i buy one..THanks..
Old 04-03-2004, 05:10 AM

YEAH you have to heat the bolt up with a tourch till it is red then use a breaker bar and unscrew the bolt.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (pnltnc)

it wouldn't be safe to use that bolt again would it? Each bolt is around $9.00 at the dealer and no hardware store has a metric bolt of that size and grade.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I always have spare bolts for any suspension part that I'm working on ready.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowsleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it wouldn't be safe to use that bolt again would it? Each bolt is around $9.00 at the dealer and no hardware store has a metric bolt of that size and grade.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, that dealership is tearing you a new one...
Old 04-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A breaker bar is just a typical metal pipe that fits over the wrench adding more leverage. Allowing you to torque things tighter or loosen things you normally couldn't.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (miahmouse)

I have the same problem, I tried to get that bolt out for over a week and never could get it out, I used everthing from torching, air tools, wd-40, some other rust looseners, and still couldnt get it out. Ended up having to go to my local mechanic and he was able to finally get it out but it took him a little bit to do it. Also the bolt does cost $9, I remember when I went to my Honda dealership and I thought the guy gave me the wrong one or is was for 4! But nope it costs $9.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (coupedup)

Im going to end up having to cut the bolt because i used the breaker bar and it stripped the head of the bolt. I found some used rear control arms for 100 dollars but i have a question for you smart guys here at honda-tech . I was wondering can you buy just the bushing that goes on the lower control arm after i drill out the rest of the bolt or would i just have to end up replaceing the lower control arm. I emailed energy suspension and in their master set they say they carry bushings for the rear lower control arm. Please help if you guys have the knowledge..Thanks again..You guys are great unlike some other forums in where they bash you for asking questions like this..hahaha
Old 04-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97hatchblack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im going to end up having to cut the bolt because i used the breaker bar and it stripped the head of the bolt. I found some used rear control arms for 100 dollars but i have a question for you smart guys here at honda-tech . I was wondering can you buy just the bushing that goes on the lower control arm after i drill out the rest of the bolt or would i just have to end up replaceing the lower control arm. I emailed energy suspension and in their master set they say they carry bushings for the rear lower control arm. Please help if you guys have the knowledge..Thanks again..You guys are great unlike some other forums in where they bash you for asking questions like this..hahaha</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just get the bushing kit for the rear lower shock you dont need the whole expensive kit!!
you can drill/cut and rusty bolt and use your stock LCA!! Make sure you have the bushing kit and new bolt along with lot of antiseize!!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (HATCHingMN)

so you guys suggest NOT using an impact gun i suppose?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (EKsnatchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKsnatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you guys suggest NOT using an impact gun i suppose?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was going to be my answer. But then I forgot, you guys are talking about EG's...which can be around 10-12 years old. Add to that salt and rust and you have a bolt that's pretty much rusted all the way around, which would be difficult to even get a socket over it. That's when you need to resort to a torch/drill to get it off. And yea, be sure to get a new bolt first before working on your car. Cuz once you get it out and mangled and whatnot, how are you going to drive to the dealer and get the new bolt? LOL! (okay, you could borrow your parent's van of course)
Old 04-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (98CTRCoupe)

well i have a 97 hatch but i heard this happening on all year civics.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:34 PM

Impact gun, break it and use an easy out to remove it.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!! (00siBuilder)

whats an easy out?
Old 04-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKsnatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats an easy out?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Looks almost like a drill bit, but will go in and grab the bolt and get it out if you break the head off.

Quick Reply: rear strut bolt stuck..please help!!!!