Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY

Me and my friend did my clutch and flywheel last night. I had OEM rear main seal changed out last night also. We put everything back together and the rear main is ****** leakin like crazy. He installed it with a punk and tapped it in lightly look fine. I dont know what the hell happened!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY (VTEC IS UR BEST FRIEND)

not sitting flush, pushed too far in?

When installing the seal, just use the flat face of a hammer to tap it in. Make sure the lip doesn't curl up when installing it, or you'll cut the seal and it will leak.

Time to take everything off and try again!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY (94hatchling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94hatchling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Time to take everything off and try again!</TD></TR></TABLE>OH NO!!! Sucks for you, but that's the best way to learn from your mistakes so you never do that ish again.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OH NO!!! Sucks for you, but that's the best way to learn from your mistakes so you never do that ish again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...some dude...I forgot who said:
"It's not a mistake if you learn from it."

Who the hell originally said that...I can't remember .

My guess would be it's not seated right.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys... will i need to get a new seal?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY (94hatchling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94hatchling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sitting flush, pushed too far in?

When installing the seal, just use the flat face of a hammer to tap it in. Make sure the lip doesn't curl up when installing it, or you'll cut the seal and it will leak.

Time to take everything off and try again!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It can be pushed in all the way. I know the helms manual says that there has to be a space between the seal and the rear main cover, but when I did mine I had honda press in the seal so that I wouldn't damage it and they pushed it in flush with the cover, they said I won;t have any problems. And my buddy just did his the same way and no leaks. So The OP, either ripped or damaged the seal when he was installing it or its sitting unevenly in the cover.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think its a main seal anymore. When we took the driver side axle out my boy was like wtf... Some oil was coming out of the axle. He was like I never seen this before. I noticed that on top of the where the axle is oil is there and probably leaking in the case to right which is causing it to fly all over the place cause the flywheel cover is off. My question is if I replace the seal can i spray brake cleaner to clean the **** of my fresh 6 puck and flywheel?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC IS UR BEST FRIEND &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question is if I replace the seal can i spray brake cleaner to clean the **** of my fresh 6 puck and flywheel?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. You are suppose to spray down a new flywheel with brake clean before you install it.

Wouldn't worry about it though. The oil will be burnt off pretty quick
Old 08-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY (AWD Terror)

yo I replaced both axle seals and the car is still leaking trans fluid!!!! Grinds 3rd wtf is wrong with this. It looks like its leaking from the top near the starter but then how is it coming from the flywheel area. Engine oil level is normal and I have had this problem for a while. Please help me!!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC IS UR BEST FRIEND &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo I replaced both axle seals and the car is still leaking trans fluid!!!! Grinds 3rd wtf is wrong with this. It looks like its leaking from the top near the starter but then how is it coming from the flywheel area. Engine oil level is normal and I have had this problem for a while. Please help me!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it really is gear oil and it's coming from the flywheel housing, your mainshaft oil seal is leaking.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear MAIN SEAL LEAKING LIKE CRAZY (wiZCo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it really is gear oil and it's coming from the flywheel housing, your mainshaft oil seal is leaking.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If that is the case you have to take the trans out and pull it appart take out the input shaft bearing to get to the seal.