Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear brakes are locked up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brakes are locked up.

The other day when I went to push my car around in the garage I noticed it was very hard to push and hardly moved. I drove it wed night and the rear brakes were smoking and smelling like crazy.

So I figured the pins were maybe hung up and needed to be greased. I have gsr rear brakes on my hatch btw. So I take out the two mounting bolts and pins and everything was well greased no rust moving freely. I then take the caliper off and start to unscrew the piston and it goes so far and then would gets stuck and stop. I got pissed so I whacked it with a hammer and screwdriver and it broke loose. I took that out and examined the piston no rust all looks good.

Now I tried to take apart the next part in the caliper where you need that special tool. I made my own tool but can not get the snap ring out. So after a few hours of fighting with it, I gave up and went out and got hammered. Well it did not fix itself so my question is this.

What normally goes bad on those calipers? I am thinking something in the ebrake mechanism is either rusted or not releasing properly. Has anyone had a similar problem and have you fixed it. If so how? I really do not want to spend 70 each for new calipers so any helpful hints would be great.

TIA
Old 07-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear brakes are locked up. (underpressure02)

unhook the rear brake lines and see if you can push the piston back into the caliper. If you can't you have dirt and crap built up behind the piston and it needs to be rebuilt/replaced. This happened on my old 914 where there was too much crap behind the piston and it would not retract. Or you can try disconnecting the e-brake cable and see if that helps.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear brakes are locked up. (lonefuzzy79)

Since they are the rear brakes and have ebrake you can not push them back in like front calipers. It works like a ratched on a screw. It screws in and out to be self adjusting. I got the piston out and everything was cleanno dirt in there and no rust.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the rears are discs, not drums. If you brakes are locked up he probably has crap in the line, take your calipers apart, clean and re-assemble, use new gaskets (you should be able to buy a new gasket kit) and then re-bleed the lines.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear brakes are locked up. (lonefuzzy79)

If you read my orginal post you will see that I can not get the snap ring out to get the rest of the caliper apart. Nothing so far has been rusted so I am going to check out the line tonight. No parts store around here sell rebuilding kits for these brakes. So not sure if acura would be the only place. I ordered new brakes today need to have the car ready for NOPI race this weekend.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:50 AM

did you change your prop valve?? maybe its your booster/master cylinder.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear brakes are locked up. (hatchi)

nope nothing was changed. I went to push it around and noticed it was hard to move. Then when I drove it. The rear brakes were smoking like crazy. Got back home jacked it up and tried to turn the wheels and they would not move. I am going to check out the cable tonight.