Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Real Quick: Where to buy good quality parts..

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Quick: Where to buy good quality parts..

Hey guys,
I am going to be changing my timing belt soon and I was wondering where people would recommend to buy the parts from. The first person I asked said Napa. Whats yalls opinion?

Thanks A lot.

PS If someone has a suggestion on where to buy tools from that would be cool.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Real Quick: Where to buy good quality parts..

you can a gates belt they make oem honda belts, the water pump, tensioner and spring I would get from honda
Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gates, Napa brand is gates belts... Rockauto sells them for really cheap but its alittle of a wait for delivery. OEM water pump or take a chance with parts store ones....NAPA has good quality parts, there true flow is good
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmm...

I got a belt from Napa for my dad's car....it was the Napa "Gold" brand... the only reason we got it was because its what was in stock. The moment I looked at it and it was stamped "Made in Mexico" I knew I didnt want to waste the time putting it on.

That was a saturday....Monday, we got a belt from the dealer and re-changed it. The belt from Napa....even brand new, and adjusted twice squealed. It was junk.

OEM belt....put it on...started it up...never heard a noise.

The way I have always seen it.... just buy OEM parts. You can save a few bucks by getting a part at advance/pepboys/napa etc etc. However in my personal opinion they dont last as long as the OEM stuff, so it ends up working out to be the same. You pay double for say brake pads, and they last twice as long---however you only pay labor (or waste time) installing them once.

That to me is worth the extra cost alone.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And not for nothing...but theres a such thing as "Planned Obsolesce"
That just means...built to fail. Next time you are looking for say water pumps, advance has the middle grade one...thats warrantied for 6 months and X dollars. Then they got the 2 year model for X + 40 bucks. Oddly enough, buy the 6 month one, and watch it go bad in 8 months

I used to work at a dealer and we'd warranty anything we did for a year. The vast majority of things would go bad in 14 months, just enough time to have the customer pay for the service again.

I had alot of customers ask me to explain this, why do they buy a car, and the exhaust last for 10 years, and we replace the exhaust with OEM parts and it barely lasts 3 years?

The answer is.....they only want these exhausts to last 3 years, so I can get another 1k out of you, obviously that isn't what the customer heard though.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What engine? I paid $149 for OEM water pump/timing belt, accesory belts, and cam seal/oil seal. Shipped from Ebay.

Beats parts stores.

OEM really is the only way to go on a water pump though. For the belt Bates is the maker of OEM belts, so if you can get it cheaper go for it.

BTW, a OEM water pump from my local dealer is $130+.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope you mean Gates not bates.... I would never actually buy parts from a dealer, OEM parts yeas but never from a dealer. Red you must not like working on your car to say "waste time". I wouldnt use oem brake pads, they arnt the best you can get... thats when shopping around is FTW. I havent ever let anyone touch anyone of my cars and im proud of it.

PArts made in mexico arnt bad parts and many of the companys who do send work to other contrys have armericans who over see EVERY part produced.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
I hope you mean Gates not bates.... I would never actually buy parts from a dealer, OEM parts yeas but never from a dealer. Red you must not like working on your car to say "waste time". I wouldnt use oem brake pads, they arnt the best you can get... thats when shopping around is FTW. I havent ever let anyone touch anyone of my cars and im proud of it.

PArts made in mexico arnt bad parts and many of the companys who do send work to other contrys have armericans who over see EVERY part produced.
I dont mind working on my car at all... I like to do it right the first time though. I dont buy though the dealer either....I do go after OEM parts though..

I have a buddy who is a parts manager for Honda...and even WITH his discount, I can still get parts off the web or ebay or whatever (OEM honda stuff) for cheaper...then going through him.

There is a reason its called the "stealership"
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
20% cooler

I have heard of people coming home with tons of Snap On tools from auctions for really cheap.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
What engine? I paid $149 for OEM water pump/timing belt, accesory belts, and cam seal/oil seal. Shipped from Ebay.

Beats parts stores.

OEM really is the only way to go on a water pump though. For the belt Bates is the maker of OEM belts, so if you can get it cheaper go for it.

BTW, a OEM water pump from my local dealer is $130+.
dont buy from the dealer.
https://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...MOSTAT%20(SOHC)
Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by NOOdS
It doesn't always pay to shop from there.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
I have heard of people coming home with tons of Snap On tools from auctions for really cheap.
My first job at a dealership I was a detailer, and there was an older A tech that was moving away and didnt want to move his box with him. Full Technician box, all snap on tools etc.

He was trying to sell it for $1500 and was saying he was "giving it away" Then he dropped it to $1000, then $800.

If I could ONLY find a full box today for $800 Id be jumping up and down. Hell a set of sockets is over $250.....and he had EVERYTHING....
Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
My first job at a dealership I was a detailer, and there was an older A tech that was moving away and didnt want to move his box with him. Full Technician box, all snap on tools etc.

He was trying to sell it for $1500 and was saying he was "giving it away" Then he dropped it to $1000, then $800.

If I could ONLY find a full box today for $800 Id be jumping up and down. Hell a set of sockets is over $250.....and he had EVERYTHING....
My buddy has around 20k in his tool boxes. Just at work. He has another box at home that I think was 10k or so.

I guess 20k doesn't buy what it used to?