Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Re-doing my suspension setup --- far too bouncy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-doing my suspension setup --- far too bouncy

i bought a 00 coupe and unfortunately it was equipped with some ebay coilovers and i believe stock shocks, not quite sure. but I will be stripping this junk off this summer and starting fresh. I know it should have a little bounce of course, but this is just too bouncy especially compared to others i know with coilovers. I know so many with tein basics.. which i might go with myself. but thought id ask around first.

are the stock shocks the reason why my ride is so bouncy or the crappy coilovers?

for a daily drive ride, what setup is best?
I've heard of the ususal setups koni/gc, skunk2, or tein.

not really on a budget but obviously want to keep it reasonable. no need for top of the line race parts, just a daily drive b18 coupe in need of some stability and control.

all help will be appreciated. thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re-doing my suspension setup --- far too bouncy

i am about to change my setup to and i got to crunching some numbers and by the time you buy konis/gc you can buy a full coilover setup like function and form type ones...i also found ksports for around 725 shipped (they were the controls io think 36 way adj.)
Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 PM

The cause for your bounciness is the shocks. They are designed to absorb the shock from the spring, hence the name shock absorbers. However, if you have cheap, shitty ebay springs that prolly have a very low spring rate, it can cause excess bouncing, and can cause the shocks to wear out premature.
As for new suspension, alot of people enjoy the GC/Koni yellows for the adjustability of ride height and can be had for roughly 750. However, suspension is all opinion. One persons soft smooth ride is another lumber wagon.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 PM
i HAS questions ?

I've been very happy with my Koni/GC setup on my 98 coupe.

Whats the ride height right now? If its slammed you might be hitting the bumpstops.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not slammed.. to be quite honest i don't know what I'm riding at but plan on keeping the height it is now. speedbumps are all different heights around my area so I already do hit some. I know where i can and cannot enter in my area lol so its cool

i'll get to reading around to make my decision may post some more questions here later

thanks again for the help
Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.

anyone got any input on the Eibach Pro-Street coilovers?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thi3v3z
The cause for your bounciness is the shocks. They are designed to absorb the shock from the spring, hence the name shock absorbers. However, if you have cheap, shitty ebay springs that prolly have a very low spring rate, it can cause excess bouncing, and can cause the shocks to wear out premature.
As for new suspension, alot of people enjoy the GC/Koni yellows for the adjustability of ride height and can be had for roughly 750. However, suspension is all opinion. One persons soft smooth ride is another lumber wagon.
i dont agree. i had my 99 EM1 lowered on Skunk2 coilovers before i did a full suspension and the ride with the skunk2's on stock shocks was pretty damn good. As for the bounce, spring rate is everything. if you want a good solid ride spend the extra cash and get a good setup like the Tein's, KSports ive heard lots of mixed reviews about but most of the bad reviews were from people that probably didnt even know how to swap the suspension in the first place. I have the Tokico Illuminas on my car, theyre decent but theyre not by any means the greatest lol. Hope this helps man
Old 06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friends got itr shocks and cusco springs. the ride and handling are both insanely good
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM

skunk 2 coilovers on mine worked out nicely as well
Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got some more questions...

I've decided to go with the function and form type ones as I've read around and the great reviews got me, on top of the price. How important is it to also change things like the control arms?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im just running sk2 pro-s coilovers and its really good. dont worry aobut other things like LCA's, just put on the coilovers and see how you like it. if not upgrade buti think youll be fine with it daily.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone out there with function & form type I's?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:21 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bounciness is definitely the shocks.

Originally Posted by Honda_Cribb_GS-R
i am about to change my setup to and i got to crunching some numbers and by the time you buy konis/gc you can buy a full coilover setup like function and form type ones...i also found ksports for around 725 shipped (they were the controls io think 36 way adj.)
This is true. However, personally I'd rather go with tried and true parts from companies that have a history of building quality and standing behind their products... which Koni and Eibach do (GC springs are made by Eibach).

I'm not saying that the $700 coilovers are junk, but I am saying that they had to cut costs somewhere to get coilovers cheaper than a good shock/spring combo. I've heard horror stories about the chinese coilover shock bodies (omni, ksport, f&f) snapping for no reason at all. I've also heard that many of them (ksport really comes to mind) aren't really adjustable... I mean, the damper adjustments are there, but don't really seem to do anything.

Koni and Eibach both lifetime warranty their stuff. I've seen guys in the suspension forum send in 10+ year old yellows that have had all the paint stripped and flat-blacked, koni logos removed, and beat to hell, and successfully got them revalved for free under warranty. Will Ksport even be in business in 10 years?

Do what you want. When I lowered mine, I *seriously* considered the cheap coilovers, but decided that an expensive shock/spring combo was going to be much better quality than a cheap coilover. If you're not going to completely dump it, yellows/GC are the way to go. If you're never going to change ride height, yellows or reds and sportlines are the way to go.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A little advice here, I was looking at GC'swebsite since I'm planning on lowering my ride too and I see there are different versions on the coilovers ( drag race, motor swap, road race). which one is good for a DD just looking to lower and somewhat improve handling? If I go with road race, since I only have a stock D16Z6 what about the spring rate?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Bounciness is both shock and springs however it's more on the springs.

Reason I say that is because the Ebay coilover springs are very thick and those thick *** springs have a very high spring rate. Any car with high spring rate will bounce not because the spring will not compress and causes the car to bounce on the tires. Now the Shock is supposed to absorb the bounce however if the spring cannot be compressed in the first place then it will not absorb anything.

Understand now?

Anyways, if you have low profile tires like me (35 series) then there is less bounce however if joined with your stock shock and ebay coil overs it will feel like a Boxed Chevy with Hydros riding on 3 ton hopping springs. I know the feeling cause I drove one before back in the good old days.

To keep things simple you first have to find out how low you want to go. Coilovers(slip-on) very versitale to use and will offer you infinite options if you plan on changing like people do with girls. Full coilovers(threaded shock body) will offer the best all around function and form being that you are in charge and nothing is set in stone. For DD the best spring rate IMO would be 8k Front and 10k Rear, this is considered competition rates but I like it a bit stiff. Regular spring rate would be 6k Front and 8k Rear.

If you know how low you want and just want to keep it simple then get a regular spring like the Teins SS which is a good street spring and very comfortable(from experience) which offer an average of 1"-1.5" drop. Just search on H-T on the springs that you want and choose your shock. Koni are good but like I said read up on which ones are good and which ones are bad.

Don't forget to factor in your tire for they are responsible for some of the bounciness that you feel.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:14 AM

go s2 pro s for your street/track suspension
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

functionform type 1, i would rather have these over tein basics.

but how low do you want to go? slammed or just a nice drop?
you may be able to go with a nice set of shocks and springs.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
functionform type 1, i would rather have these over tein basics.

but how low do you want to go? slammed or just a nice drop?
you may be able to go with a nice set of shocks and springs.
Just a nice drop kinda, definitely not slammed. I had Tein S-techs on stock shocks before on my integra and it handled well. I now have a Del Sol and looking to drop it because I hate the wheel gap (especially in the back). If I go with shocks and springs, what would you recommend to improve handling and look but somewhat preserve comfort? I am not looking to autocross or anything else, it is just a DD.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

omni-power street spec full coils. IMO best bang for the buck on the market.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ he speaks the truth,

look into ebaich, theres skunk2,h&r,sprint sorry others are slipping my mind right now.
i think functionform type 1s are around 700, they will get you on the ground and still have a comfy ride, personaly id go with a coilover set up simply because in 6 months you may want it lower.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at pictures of cars like your's, decide what kind of stance you want and just do it once. Change the ride height, you should get another alignment.

What size tires are you running? For a DD, 15s seem logical to me. Some may disagree, but I think they give a nice ride (with Koni/GC) and they're a pretty common size, they look low key, they're lighter than larger rims.

I had some Skunk2s on the front of my hatch when I bought it, and cut springs on the back. The two hour drive home when I bought the car was enough I wanted to change them immediately. When I did, my girlfriend commented that it felt much more comfortable.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^i've heard good things about OMNI. super heavy duty. but my bro has Function and Form coilovers and they are good. he went to SCCA events with em too and theyre on a 4-door. good stuff
Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ good input from you guys. I am running on the stock del sol si wheels 185/60/r14. I am also looking for new wheels before I lower it, or should I first lower it then worry about wheels?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gen2tegboi
^ good input from you guys. I am running on the stock del sol si wheels 185/60/r14. I am also looking for new wheels before I lower it, or should I first lower it then worry about wheels?
Just a nice drop kinda, definitely not slammed. I had Tein S-techs on stock shocks before on my integra and it handled well. I now have a Del Sol and looking to drop it because I hate the wheel gap (especially in the back). If I go with shocks and springs, what would you recommend to improve handling and look but somewhat preserve comfort? I am not looking to autocross or anything else, it is just a DD.
A little advice here, I was looking at GC'swebsite since I'm planning on lowering my ride too and I see there are different versions on the coilovers ( drag race, motor swap, road race). which one is good for a DD just looking to lower and somewhat improve handling? If I go with road race, since I only have a stock D16Z6 what about the spring rate?

first off gen2tegboi... no thread jacking plz

I was never sure about the f&f's which is why i asked. I of course always had tein basics in mind as they are a gauranteed product just wanted to make sure its worth the extra cash. I'm not set on the height yet but i think it's lowered about 2" right now. I just got new tires 3 days ago (dunlop direzza 195-55-15) and i can already tell a slight difference so tire bounciness is not an issue.

I'm thinking of buying in a week or so definitely going full coils. thanks for the advice i'll read around
Old 11-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gen2tegboi: i think u should drop your car first.

and are u guys gonna get Camber kits too?
so ur tires dont go bald on you quick

Quick Reply: Re-doing my suspension setup --- far too bouncy