Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Raspy v-tec ! Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raspy v-tec ! Help Please

Hey guys, i researched but cant find a excat answer, Recently my 2000 honda civic with a b16 , It has a custom exhaust , short ram intake , i bought it from a guy when i moved to edmonton, Pretty sure its just a 4-2-1 header. I dont know the name of the header though. And it goes to 2.5" exhaust to the back with a stock civic exhaust but customized so it has no small tip sticking off the exhaust like stock civics do. Just hollow looking you can look into the hole. So before it would go into vtec and sound deep in vtec, but now when i go into vtec it is really raspy, and only when i go into vtec when im not in vtec it sounds just like it did before, a deeper tone. I noticed one of the pipes on the exhaust manifold/header had black soot on it, And i think there is a small hair line crack could that cause the vtec to sound raspy?? im not sure if its the small crack that is causing it or if it is something to do with the exhaust any opinons would be great! thanks !
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Raspy v-tec ! Help Please

Since the exhaust gives off the tone of the car is it "straight piped" ? and stock civic piping is NOT 2.5. I think you mean no muffler when refering to no tip sticking out. and yes the crack(if it is a crack) could have an effect on how you'r car sounds in vtec. I have a leak inbetween my header and test pipe the car sounds nice crusing around but when it crosses over it sounds like ****.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is not straight piped, it has a cat converter and a flex pipe (i think) and im almost postive its at least a 2" exhaust its deffently bigger then 1" ill measure it this evening , And yeah the car sounds normal until vtec soon as it hits vtec it gets raspy and nasty. What gets me is the crack is so small it affects vtec this much lol will driving the car with a crack in one of the headers pipes hurt anything? and also im not sure what brand header it is but it seems like it was gold , pretty much dirt ver it now, but are most headers steel? just wondering cause im geting my friend to weld it and he asked if it was cast or steel
thanks for the comment!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and the crack is on one of the top pipes where the header bolts onto the motor where the pipe is welded to the peice that mounts to the motor its really close to the motor thats why i think its causing the raspy vtec
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maohyang
Sounds like you need a hug..
^Get a life troll. And you never know there may be more than one leak in you exhaust do you have a floor jack ?. If so prop the car up a bit let the car idle and look to see if you can see any exhaust leaks.(if it's cold enough this will work).
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is cold here in canada -24 degrees this morning! burr. But yes i think i have a car jack sadly dont have a floor jackbut a car jack should do it! and im wondering of jb weld will be strong enough to maybe fix the small crack on the header and if the jb weld can stand the heat , also is there any other way of checking for exhaust leaks except for when its cold ? ive heard about spraying foam into your throttle body idk though. I also am thinking maybe something happened to the cat converter or the muffler maybe it clogged or something. and lastly there is a rubber peice closer to the front of the car on the exhaust i think its the flex pipe im not sure though its about 4-5 inches long and is black and ribbed thanks for helping me out man! this will get fixed!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b16a2typer
oh and the crack is on one of the top pipes where the header bolts onto the motor where the pipe is welded to the peice that mounts to the motor its really close to the motor thats why i think its causing the raspy vtec
Hit the nail on the head...

What muffler is on the car? If its a cheapo off brand, can easily be contributing to rasp as well.

On a curious note...what's type r about a b16a2?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol no names were free...dont mind the user name, but im not sure to be honest. I think its just 2.5" exhaust. wish i knew what was on it but i have no idea. going to try and fix crack on header and see what happens from there
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and jugger naut i dont think its the exhaust because it still sounds normal when npt on vtec only into vtec i think it must be the header crack.. it wasnt there before either ill have to fix it and see! thanks guys amy more opinons would be great!
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also can a exhaust leak cause raspy vtec? or would it cause raspy sound even when not in vtec?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the muffler could but yes an exhasut leak will(i have one) and my vtec sounds like ****.

semi-built GS-R sounds like **** with a leak
Old 03-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow.

Your going in circles until you fix the exhaust...

The more RPM, the louder the exhaust will get, and the more pressure in the pipe..

Does the car have a resonator before the muff muff?

PS...

JB weld isn't going to hold for long..

The half *** fix it glue isn't going to take the expansion and contraction more than a few times before it splits, or falls the **** right off...

Kinda like using bubble gum in this particular case...

And the header probably can probably be welded... But its cast... The new metal will clash with expansion and contraction and you'll just get a split again...

Time for a header... Cheaper than an OEM Exhaust manifold, but will create more noise under the hood..
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that crack in the header will cause raspyness. Check for other leaks and buy a new header.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my personal opinion vtec always sounds like *** with aftermarket exhaust. I have spent a couple hundred trying to quite down my exhaust while in vtec.

Fixing leaks will help but I think it is just part of having vtec.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't understand why we're not addressing deficiencies that WE KNOW about.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
In my personal opinion vtec always sounds like *** with aftermarket exhaust. I have spent a couple hundred trying to quite down my exhaust while in vtec.

Fixing leaks will help but I think it is just part of having vtec.
Depend...every single one of my dohc vtec motors i have had never had rasp....besides the time i had a $25 muffler on my g23 and wad really raspy. Put something better quality on and rasp went away. I see you fixed urs from your vid. Sounds mucho bettet
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Don't understand why we're not addressing deficiencies that WE KNOW about.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K so i found out the name of the muffler. It is a jasma (051) which aparently is made by Etching k Inc never heard of this company, but ive read that it is a japense exhaust. and aparently is a hks hiper exhaust. But heres the weird part.... its just piping from the header then to a ripped rubber boot looking thing just after where the header goes down to 1 after the 4-2-1. then its the cat converter, then just straight pipe to the back then its the muffler. But as you can see in this pic is whats at the end of the piping. At the end of my piping in the rear of the car the bigger square looking muffler is just after where the front piping bolts up to the header piping. And the sqaure peice is there with a big hole in it, from where the rest of the piping was cut off i assume. This is very confusing im sorry !

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...9QEwBA&dur=291
Old 03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And i just find it weird how it started in the matter of one day.. And i noticed the black soot on the header, I have no idea the brand of the header either, But it seems like it was gold at one time and it is 4-2-1. My next misson will be to find out the name of the header.. thanks for the advise Im still not sure where to start... could be the muffler or it could be the header im not sure. And i want the same sound i had before so i have to find out the name of the header now Maybe if i posted pictures someone would be able to identify it ?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And i just find it weird how it started in the matter of one day..
And you choose to just now tell us this...

Thats actually a decent exhaust.

Dont really know your meaning of rasp. Might be different than someone else.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a video of what it used to sound like, I will take a video of what it sounds like now , Hopefully the camera will pick it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11osk...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yeah sorry i didnt mention it, Seemed like it was in one day. And its not the whole exhaust.. just piping then it end with the sqaure muffler with a big hole in it. And its just not the same in the video you can hear more intake then vtec i find... but now its just like raspy.. i cant explain it i cant even hear the deepness when vtec engages anymore, im starting to think the baffles or something gave out in the muffler ?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The square thing is the resonator.. Its supposed to kill the rasp...

Depending on how old the exhaust is, the fibre material, or "packing" in the resonator might be crispy... Causing it to fail..

Magnaflows and such exhausts with packing tend to open up after they have been wet/dry hot/cold a few times..

Fix your leaks, then go from there...

And if you have a stainless header, take it off and go get it welded..

srry, I thought you had an OEM cast manifold..
Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yeah sorry i didnt mention it, Seemed like it was in one day. And its not the whole exhaust.. just piping then it end with the sqaure muffler with a big hole in it. And its just not the same in the video you can hear more intake then vtec i find... but now its just like raspy.. i cant explain it i cant even hear the deepness when vtec engages anymore, im starting to think the baffles or something gave out in the muffler ?

Does the car have a muffler or not...

The square thing isn't a muffler.. Its a resonator..

Go take a flippin' pic of this exhaust, you make no sense...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats whats bugging me im not sure if its the resinator thats just old and the packings no good amymore or if its the header leak. I dont think there are any other leaks except the possible leak on the header manifold pipe , But i find the raspy ness is in the rear more then anything i dont know if that makes a difference .. pretty much what i mean is will a crack in the header cause the raspy sound in the year , sorry if im repeating myself but im so puzzled. and what also fustrates me is i dont kmow the brand of the header is there a spot where itsstamped ussally? and second if i just got another resinator and did the same set up my car has now will it sound the same.. i think ill need the same hks resinator but i may be wrong! i love the sound of my car the way it was! haha

Quick Reply: Raspy v-tec ! Help Please