Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rally Style Civic (AWD ???)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rally Style Civic (AWD ???)

Planning on Taking an EK and making sort of a rally car out of it. Before I worry about all that rally look... i am going to focus on powerplant and transmission.

I really want it to be Turbocharged... so I could do it the cheap way and turbo the D-Series motor and get around 200 hp out of it. OR I could choose an LS or CR-V motor and turbo that. All of these are cheap relaible motors to turbo.

Now I am brought to the problem of the Transmission. I dont want FWD that much... So anyone know if Honda has a reliable AWD transmission?

I heard the CR-V Tranny sux. Also I heard that there is now way in hell i can modify an EK to hold a CR-V rear hub... is this true? anyone seen any AWD civics?

Let me know
Old 07-15-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (B-Series Sol)

ive seen some topics on this recently. im pretty sure it can be done but it will put a major hurt on your wallet. why not start with an awd platform, it will be cheaper than the money you spend to make a honda awd
Old 07-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is possible but, you talked about going cheap on the motor therefore, you don't have the 10,000 dollars to make the chasis AWD, let alone a strong AWD that will be able to handle a lot of power.

May I suggest looking into a Suby Imprezza 2.5 RS. They are starting to drop in cost and you can get one for around 7,000 if you look hard enough, and there drivetrains have been pushed to 275 WHP without issues.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (Spade)

Yeah, I was actually thinking 2.5 RS... but I was also thinking that if anyone knew of a way to make a Civic AWD, i would go that route..

Oh sad, day.. i am going to miss hondas
Old 07-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the HART group.
Honda of America Racing Team

they rally a few civics in all out race trim with factory support (well, to a point)
be sure to follow their examples if you want any sort of great results!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:01 AM

first, as for the engine in a rally car, i would put a b16a in there. second, dont honda wagons have AWD? maybe you could get it outta one of those? i might be wrong, but thourhg i'de throw that one to ya. hope it helps
Old 07-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (civicmark)

AWD? you dont need no AWD, unless your GPN or Open here in the USA you dont need AWD, save the cash stay FWD and pretend your a S1600 car....

-matt (owner of a FWD Civic Rally car)
Old 07-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (mattjohnston)

Ive seen a rally ITR.. lemme find the pic. BTW I think it was FWD
Old 07-15-2002, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic

I agree, that i dont NEED AWD... but i am intrigued by it... maybe I will do a 2.5RS... who knows, i love honda's too much

-Jake
Old 07-15-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in oregin trail scca rally..in oregon (of course)..there is a EF hatch fitted with Ef wagon awd suspension
Old 07-15-2002, 12:31 PM

Theres a guy local to me (Washington) who has been in tons of rallys up here who rallys an AWD EF Civic. The tranny is out of the Civic wagon. His car breaks almost every rally though, if thats a testament to the durability of that particular AWD drivetrain.

I have a 93 CX Civic and a 01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. I RallyX the Impreza whenever I can, and let me tell you.. it does what it was made to do. That car hauls on dirt. On the streets.. ehhh.. high 15 second car stock, so its not that great. But for rallying its one of the best you can get. For 7000, though, I highly doubt that. You could get an AWD Impreza L and turbo it, though. Also the EJ25 (engine in the RS) doesn't like boost. Alot of people break their engines running only 5-6 lbs of boost. You probably want to find a closed deck motor out of an older legacy and turbo it, or get one of the turbo legacy engines and drop it into an Impreza L. That would be the quickest easiest way for power, imo.

Check out http://www.i-club.com for some more info.

Hope this helps
Lates~

[Modified by ride_with_me, 9:32 PM 7/15/2002]
Old 07-15-2002, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (ride_with_me)

Those are all good suggestions. The AWD from a Wagon would work but is plenty of expensive cust work. And it will break, it was made for additional traction out of a 109hp eng., not 200+. An Impreza 2.5RS would do wonders, plus ther's a shop down in Irvine, CA that will drop in a WRX motor and give you an option for a JDM 6 spd tranny for about $3500. Nice new powerful motor, lighter bodystyle. I was considering it myself (I like going sideways). Oh and did I mention that the price included a used motor(I believe)? Not bad... If you want the shops info lemmie know...
Old 07-15-2002, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (RSZero1)

What's this shop? I'd like to find a place where they are dropping in a $3500 engine and $1000 tranny for $3500? From the research I've done if you want a 2.5RS and plan to add the WRX engine check http://www.i-speedusa.com/home/ if you just want general info. on the impreza/wrx check here http://www.i-club.com/

By the way it's about $7000 to have the WRX engine installed into a RS.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (threeclaws)

Okay, I didn't mean to imply the tranny was included, but it is an OPTION. Here is the exact info:

Renick Subaru Motorsports - ask for PAM 714-680-0222
or Pam@renicksubaru.com

Engine from Japan or Australia $2800 (no wiring) Low Milage from a 2000 2.0
Installation - WHAT!??! a mere $1200
If you want to use the stock ECU add $500 to the engine price, but if you want it to perform better and be easier to work on skip the stock ECU and add a TEC II. They have one in stock that hasn't sold in a while, it's usually $2500 but they'll let it go for $1995. The entire project from time the engine arrives will take 3-4 weeks. Okay, sorry i'll admit I was a little off in price, BUT not outrageously.

So please, take a little time and ask for more details first. It was a while ago I got the original quote. All this information is current for 07/15/02.

Threeclaws, always keep in mind, if there's one shop that will do a job, there must be others.

[Modified by RSZero1, 5:11 PM 7/15/2002]
Old 07-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rally Style Civic (N8)

Ive seen a rally ITR.. lemme find the pic. BTW I think it was FWD
if it not the same guy i'm talking about (a yellow ITR) who also is rally a green civic eg with an supercharged ITR.

who happen to win pikes peaks this past month.

i'll see if i can find some pics of his cars

Old 07-15-2002, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (SANBST)

I went to a SCCA pro rally in Penn a month or so ago and there was a nice EK hatch with a B20/vtec swap. There was also a nice white ITR that did well too. There was a jrsc'd GSR but he didnt get too far, i think he busted an axle. The EK and ITR finshed the race.

I didnt get to talk to teh type r owner but the two driver in the civic were super nice, both were engineers for honda. I say stick with what you have. Im not sure how much experience you have, but i would learn on what you have, and then once your skills are better, pursue a better car. FYI, a fully prepared GTI(dont know chasis code) go for about 5-6k, so you could get started on a great, cheap platform, instead of buying a newer STREET car.

Just cause its FWD, doesn't make it a bad rally car

Best of luck.

Mike D
Old 07-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From your numbers it would be $6000 w/ TEC but no tranny, or $4500 w/ stock ecu but no tranny.

Still seems to be over $3500.

I was not getting on your case, you should just be more careful, this guy is trying to decide between modifying a civic for AWD or doing up a subaru. The Subaru runs 14k roughly plus 7k would be the price of a new WRX. This of course could be done cheaper if you do work yourself, and get good deals on parts, I am also quoting SoCal prices because that's where i'm from and that's what I know.

Second, is the Civic with a modified AWD tranny, with the civic coming in somewhere around 10k and at least another 10k in tranny work, plus maybe 5-7k in engine work, again you could get a brand new WRX and modify the thing for that price. Obviously the subaru would be a better idea based purely off cost, and would be the best idea because the impreza was made for rallying.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (DragonCTR69)

this civic here with AWD real time...that doesnt mean its always AWD...it means the rear wheels kick in when needed torque like when ur going up hill or **** like that. the only REAL AWD cars out there on market now is Suburu.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (threeclaws)

Point taken, I did think you were blasting me. However like I said the original quote was some time back and my memory is fuzzy, that's why I called yesterday to confirm figures. Oh and you can use the stock 2.5 tranny with the WRX motor.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an 89 AWD Civic wagon for sale down the street from me. Believe it or not it has a 6 speed tranny.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (C5_ALLMOTOR)

How would you convert a FWD to an AWD?
Old 07-16-2002, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (CDM SiR)

contrary to what everyone here believes.... there is no USDM civic that was or is AWD. it is 4WD. there is a BIG difference. the EF Civic wagon was available in 4WD.

subi/rally cars are AWD. IMO, 4WD would suck for rally.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (dwnthehatch)

wtf? a 6 speed really? take a picture of that...
Old 07-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (stealthteg)

If honda makes a quality AWD transmission I say go for it. I thought about this a few years ago but didn't think Honda made anything AWD. CRV suspension looks like it might bolt right up to the civic.

I did buy a used 323 race car and I'm having it converted to AWD and turbo motor. Might think about doing this also. Pretty straight forward just have to weld in a hump for the driveshaft, weld in a few brackets, change the gas tank, and order the over priced rear suspension and your done.

[Modified by turboman, 10:42 PM 7/16/2002]
Old 07-16-2002, 03:22 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Rally Style Civic (dwnthehatch)

There is an 89 AWD Civic wagon for sale down the street from me. Believe it or not it has a 6 speed tranny.
S2000 shiftknobs fit in everything........

Quick Reply: Rally Style Civic (AWD ???)