Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rails to make my seats lower in 96 civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rails to make my seats lower in 96 civic

I was thinking about maybe buying the del sol rails or 99-00 si civic rails. I currently have 99 civic si seats on the stock 96 dx rails. the del sol or si rails will make the seats sit lower correct? if so which is lower?
Old 05-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rails to make my seats lower in 96 civic (Red AEM Civic)

the del sol rails wont match up with your stock mounting spots....

if you want your seats to sit lower , you might want to get some del sol seats and THEN swap out the rails( take the civic rails and put it on the del sol seats).

i dont think the del sol rails will make a differnce even if it fits... i have stock civic rails but its del sol seats that make it sit lower
Old 05-13-2003, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rails to make my seats lower in 96 civic (Red AEM Civic)

Put some integra rails on there and you will drop at least an inch, but honestly, I dont even know why anyone in their right mind would want to use stock EK front seats. I think they are the worse seats ever put in a civic.

Just get some Integra or Del Sol seats and swap your civic rails onto them.

Or if you want the ultimate in low for your EK, USE the Integra rails on intergra seats. All you will need to do is notch the end of the rail to be able to bolt it in your stock location.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:09 AM

well i already have some civic si seats that i got for cheap, and i dont feel like buying anymore seats. anyways, so integra rails will fit on the si seats and make them lower? do they bolt right on or do i have to any modifications to make them fit.,
Old 05-13-2003, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Red AEM Civic)

bolt the **** 2 the floor.......
Old 05-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red AEM Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i already have some civic si seats that i got for cheap, and i dont feel like buying anymore seats. anyways, so integra rails will fit on the si seats and make them lower? do they bolt right on or do i have to any modifications to make them fit.,</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 bolt correctly, 1 doesn't. Like Tony was saying, you need to notch one end. Let me find a link on that.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eddie HatchBlack)

Well I can't find the link to Tony's OLD how-to. But here is a pic from his site. I hope he doesn't mind.

Old 05-13-2003, 05:03 AM

its kinda hard to see exactly how the notch looks. you think you can post another pic that shows the notch in the rail without the bolt already their? i would really appreciate that.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:04 AM

would not having the 4th bolt on all the way really make any difference? so the other 3 fit perfectly on the seats and bolt to 3 holes? does anyone have any of these rails for sale?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red AEM Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would not having the 4th bolt on all the way really make any difference? so the other 3 fit perfectly on the seats and bolt to 3 holes? does anyone have any of these rails for sale?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would make a difference in a crash since that 4th hole (inside rears) is where all the load from the seatbelt buckle will be held. If there is no bolt there, your belt is almost useless.

The integra rails are just a little too short for an EK. So the very end of the rail covers half of the bolt hole in the floor. So all you need to do is cut a small 1/4 inch notch in the end of the rail and you can put your stock bolt into the stock hole.

For added safety, cut a thick steel rectangle to use as a "washer" that will hang farther onto the rail by at least an inch. This "should" be just as safe as stock.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tonyXcom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It would make a difference in a crash since that 4th hole (inside rears) is where all the load from the seatbelt buckle will be held. If there is no bolt there, your belt is almost useless.

The integra rails are just a little too short for an EK. So the very end of the rail covers half of the bolt hole in the floor. So all you need to do is cut a small 1/4 inch notch in the end of the rail and you can put your stock bolt into the stock hole.

For added safety, cut a thick steel rectangle to use as a "washer" that will hang farther onto the rail by at least an inch. This "should" be just as safe as stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red AEM Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i already have some civic si seats that i got for cheap</TD></TR></TABLE>

civic si seats and civic dx, lx, ex seats are the same... only difference would be the si seats having the headrest..... so u just paid for the same seats u already had.... just a headrest.... sorry

BTW, im talking about 96-00 civics....
Old 05-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

civic si seats and civic dx, lx, ex seats are the same... only difference would be the si seats having the headrest..... so u just paid for the same seats u already had.... just a headrest.... sorry

BTW, im talking about 96-00 civics....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some would argue (but not me) that the fabric on SI seats are mort comfortable and hold you in better.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddie HatchBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Some would argue (but not me) that the fabric on SI seats are mort comfortable and hold you in better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Are SI seats Velcro?
Old 05-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL. Are SI seats Velcro?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha. I had an SI before my hatch, and I noticed nothing but the headrest and maybe driver seat lumbar support? I've just heard people say they like the fabric better?
Old 05-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rails to make my seats lower in 96 civic (tonyXcom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont even know why anyone in their right mind would want to use stock EK front seats. I think they are the worse seats ever put in a civic.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen to that. I HATE the seats on my 96 EX. I am looking for a new set right now, but I cant decide whether to get 1 aftermarket seat or 2 OEM seats (ITR, Del Sol etc.). I always though just one Sparco, Recaro etc. seat looked weird but honestly, who really cares?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rails to make my seats lower in 96 civic (VTEC-DA)

i got a steal on some leather gsr seats for 70 bucks but i had to drill out a little notch for the rear bolts now all i need are my old seats back so i can get rid of the tan trim that came on them an EK seats are the hardest seats ever GSR
Old 05-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eddie HatchBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I can't find the link to Tony's OLD how-to. But here is a pic from his site. I hope he doesn't mind.

</TD></TR></TABLE> Is that definitely safe??

Particularly, if as someone said above, thats the bolt which will be under most pressure due to it being the side which has the seat belt lock??

Those are Integra rails yes?

It is not possible to use the stock EK rails at all no?

Its obviously not a good Idea to drill a new hole then since nobodies mentioned it?

Asking this as Im picking up a set of '94 JDM Integra Si vtec seats 2moro for my hatch below.

My hatch is a European 1.4 model(below) btw if it makes any difference. Has driver and passenger airbags(cos was a full options model-airbags, tach, electric windows,mirrors and sunroof!)

Ive not seen a set of USDM factory-fit EK Seats, but I can tell you that the EDM seats are useless!

Hence Im so happy Im getting these Teg ones. Getting the pair for €120 and they are in perfect condition! (€120= ~$110 @the mo I think!) :D :D

Bren
Old 05-16-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Re: (Blade_Irl)

That was my seat, and I think it is safe. My buddy did the same thing but fabricated some large square washers.

The US civic seats are useless as well.

The only reason I used the integra rails is because I wanted a LOWER seat.

You can use your stock civic rails. Drilling new holes in your floor is probably a bad idea.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive just looked at his site, are those the Teg rear seats too? They fit in ok?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:33 AM

Those are my rear seats as well. They fit HATCHBACK only. But modification is necessary. Search, it has been covered many times as well.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, just looking at your site there Tony, what shocks are they? kudos on the SRR Control arms, did you notice much difference with them? Are they really as light compared to the OEM items as they are claimed to be? What Roll bar is that? Also fair play on the rear disc conversion - off an Si or an Integra?

I think the CX is the closest thing, mechanics/suspension wise to the Euro 1.4, bar the engine obviously.(which brings me to that- what engine is in there?)

Sitting lower would be a good thing, the EK does sit quite high. Tho not too low obviously.

Finally, IF I was to use my EK seat rails will the Teg seats actually sit into them?or do I have to change anything?

I think I will prob just use the Teg rails, I have someone who can make me up whatever type of bracket using whatever material i want so that wouldnt be a problem if I wanted to be more sure of the safeness.

Bren
Old 05-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They fit HATCHBACK only.</TD></TR></TABLE> My baby!

Bren
Old 05-16-2003, 10:56 AM

Those shocks are KYB AGX. I have since changed them to Tein HA's.
By hand, the SRR arms were heavier to me. I can't feel any difference.
The roll bar is Cusco. Rear discs are from a 97 GSR, same as SI or any 94-00 Integra besides Type R obviously.

I have been told the integra rails will bolt right up to civic seats, though I have never done it. I would estimate Integra seats on civic rails about 1 inch lower then stock. And integra seats on integra rails will be at least 2 inch lower then stock, possibly more.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Ill post up how I get on/what I do.

Thats a very nice setup you have there suspension/braking wise. Do you autocross/ do track days(i.e. like Autocross but not racing - just pay a fee for half day/full day on track in your own car- Dunno if its done over there??) in it? Track days are my plan for mine, soon as I get round to upgrading the front brakes and fitting a rear anti-roll bar.

Bren

Quick Reply: Rails to make my seats lower in 96 civic