Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

radiator full flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator full flush

********************post from Iam7head , I did a search and have a question******************

First thing first, don't follow the instruction
you not suppose to just let the toxic antifreeze to go back to the drain, esp. for those that lead back to the ocean, it's illegal and it's deadly for the animal.
one good table spoon of those green stuff will finish your lovely puppy.

second you dont flush anything with a garden hose, the water from the tap carry about of unwanted mineral, it's hard on the aluminium engine block.
when you heard the shop refer it as flush because they use a machine to do it, it's a sealed circulate antifreeze bump which can suck out all the dirty antifreeze. I dont think most of the diy/weekend wrencher will have access too.

1)turn the heater to max(do not select recirculate air)
2)remove the cap off the radiator(top)
3)remove the radiator drain cap(plastic winged bolt, replace washer if you see cracks in the ring, which is 10-25cents from honda)
3)remove the engine block drain plug(it's stated where in your manual)
4)when you done draining all that stuff, put the engine block drain plug back, as well as radiator winged plug(lower)
5)50/50 of anitfreeze and DISTILLED water is recommend for most climate(only use distill water*******)
6)as you topping off the radiator, locate and loose the air bleed valve(which also can be found, in your user's manual)
7)when you see a steady flow of antifreeze coming out, you know you got all the bubble out.
8)tighted air bleed valve
9)top off,put the cap back, fill the resourvor if needed.

prestone, peak, honda=all good
just don't buy the 99cents special

you can do it with or without a funnel, the regular funnel is too small, what i do is go to clevron, they have those paper funnel for free when you get gas there, take a couple and cut the lower part off so it will flow more.

remember the collect all the soiled antifreeze, autozone, kragen etc do take them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^******************** ***********

I saw this write up by Iam7head and it works for me but I want to know how would I go about flushing it it out with water. Would I put the plugs back in and fill with water run engine, then drain again? I want to make sure my system is sediment free before I put in the new coolant. Please help, thanks