Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radiator Fan toggle switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan toggle switch

I've tried searching but havent found any useful how-to's on hooking up a fan toggle switch to manually turn the fan on. What is the best way to do this? I would like to make it so that the fan runs normal(comes on when it is supposed to) but I can manually turn it on when I wish. Any links or advice is great. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator Fan toggle switch (TurboMark)

splice the wire to the fan, put wire on there and tape back up. run wire to inside car, connect wire to switch and mount the switch. piece of pie
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Radiator Fan toggle switch (93ejay1)

should I run an inline fuse with it?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:53 AM

that is a good question, but i would say no. i did this for my amp when i had my system and it worked fine
Old 03-20-2005, 12:04 PM

are u sure u searched?

» Search Results

Your search for radiator fan switch returned 13 results.

» New Search
Old 03-20-2005, 12:26 PM

couldnt find any very useful threads.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:28 PM

well i have two friends that have done this so ill ask them when i talk to them
Old 03-21-2005, 12:43 AM

it's as easy as 93ejay puts it. I did that to my old 84 crx, because I couldn't trust the cooling system on that thing. You're pretty much allowing the fan switch to ground at your will. Heck, if you wanted to, you could just have that spliced wire straight to a ground, and the fan would come on all the time... but of course, I would NOT recommend that.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Radiator Fan toggle switch (zephyrantes)

did it yesterday, works great
Old 04-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboMark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">should I run an inline fuse with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what size fuse did you end up using?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fan toggle switch (eymnewdc4)

The best way is to splice the wires on thermostat sensor and hook them up together then you get your fan on as soon as you turn on the ignition. On my EK its R/W and G/B just wire up all four together.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:11 PM

If you are willing to open the hood everytime you want to turn the fan on then just get regular speaker wire and connect the possitive side of the fan with the positive side of the battery terminal. And do the opposite with the negative terminal. Anytime you want to turn it of just take the wires off.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Radiator Fan toggle switch (HondaCivicAddict)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaCivicAddict &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are willing to open the hood everytime you want to turn the fan on then just get regular speaker wire and connect the possitive side of the fan with the positive side of the battery terminal. And do the opposite with the negative terminal. Anytime you want to turn it of just take the wires off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

holy crap man, two days of that and I'd Go nuts, just wire a switch people it takes 15 minutes and you can use a 30amp fuse, yes something smaller might work, but a 30 amp will blow if there's ever any problem
Old 04-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fan toggle switch (HondaCivicAddict)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK-TSOHCV-TechRider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best way is to splice the wires on thermostat sensor and hook them up together then you get your fan on as soon as you turn on the ignition. On my EK its R/W and G/B just wire up all four together.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup I wired mine to the ignition. I grounded it to the trany ground and ran the wire through the firewall and into the ignition.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radiator Fan toggle switch (Spugen_y0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spugen_y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup I wired mine to the ignition. I grounded it to the trany ground and ran the wire through the firewall and into the ignition. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No all you gotta do is sauter the spliced wires together and it will turn on as soon as you switch the ignition on. You dont need to hook it up to a ground or to any ignition switch. You splice the thermostat wires and hook up all ends together.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:35 AM

well ****, then i can get rid of my switch, if i can cross those wires, you have a pic of where you did it?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PureBlood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PureBlood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well ****, then i can get rid of my switch, if i can cross those wires, you have a pic of where you did it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill get a pic up as soon as I can. But try it out and it should work out.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK-TSOHCV-TechRider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK-TSOHCV-TechRider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ill get a pic up as soon as I can. But try it out and it should work out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah this is the way i want to run mine. i am just a little foggy on how you did it. so pix would be great. i do have a dc4, so it may be a little different, but the idea is the same.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:56 PM

Thats the thing, from memory there's about 4 wires sitting there, two black two blue, i'd assume you want me to slice one black on blue, but which set? before the temp sens or after?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK-TSOHCV-TechRider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK-TSOHCV-TechRider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ill get a pic up as soon as I can. But try it out and it should work out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

get those pix?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: (eymnewdc4)

this is how i had my **** done:

get a two position toggle (on/off) thats all you need, used speaker wire the only wires i had, ran one wire directly to the positive wire of the fan, you could tell cause the wire will have red on it. then ran one wire to one of the fuses(cant remember which) but it was in my fuse box under the dash. look at the list and find out which fuse will have power when the car is turned ON. you would like to have your switch wired in a fuse that will have current OFF when the car is off. cause I GUARANTEE, you WILL forget to turn it off once in a while and that will kill you battery. GOOD LUCK
Old 04-16-2005, 04:05 PM
95DxSi-R2

obviously none of u are mechinics
Old 04-16-2005, 04:06 PM
95DxSi-R2

why don't u figure out why it's not turning on?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">obviously none of u are mechinics</TD></TR></TABLE>

c'mon, noone is trying diss, we are just answering the guys question. obviously, i have had that problem, my fan still comes on, but it runs hot a lot. and i had a turbo, he probably has a turbo and wants to keep his car running cool when sitting in traffic when there is no wind coming through to the radiator. so, MR. BIG-30-POSTS, why dont you break down the cooling system and wiring for us. Mr. Mechanic.........................
Old 04-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maka)

Ok here it is all sautered together with shrink wrap on all 4 wires together its very simple and it only takes about 5 min.

Here is is the fan on

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan toggle switch