Racing Harness question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Racing Harness question!!!

okay.
i have a 93 Del Sol Si
fully built GSR + crazy driver - airbags= me wanting a 5-point harness to save me when i inevitably crash.

so heres my question, where would i mount the brackets too, and what do i need to buy along with the harness? i found a weapon R 5-point harness for a decent price.
and does anyone know of a DIY for this? because DIYs for Dellys are a bit hard to come by.
i have s2k seats mounted on original del sol brackets too if that makes a difference.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing Harness question!!!

a roll cage to mount em too. and it should be pretty obvious after that.

are you buying new seats with this or are you just gonna run em over the s2k seats?

and some driving classes...just so if nothing else it delays your inevitable crash.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you dont go the roll cage route, nrg makes decent harness bars. I have one in my ek.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

harness bar or roll cage, my friend has them mounted to his rear seat belt bolts, but i dont think that is correct.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hah my friends were(i hope) or still are mounted to the floor behind the seat. they'll rip out as will his/your friends floor if an accident happens.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
hah my friends were(i hope) or still are mounted to the floor behind the seat. they'll rip out as will his/your friends floor if an accident happens.
And they'll probably be paralized from the harness compressing their spine. Theres a reason for harness bars, not just for looks. Bolting the harness to the floor behind the seat is not how they are supposed to be installed.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, buy a Festiva and you'll live longer.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a roll cage to mount em too. and it should be pretty obvious after that.

are you buying new seats with this or are you just gonna run em over the s2k seats?

and some driving classes...just so if nothing else it delays your inevitable crash.
Well how on earth can I fit a roll cage In a Delly? Gonna keep my s2ks for now, they're comfy, might look for some recaros farther down the road.

And my itouch is making quoting more then one person kindda difficult. Soo, Adam_b16, do you know where that harness bar would attach too?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im well aware of that. thats why the i hope was after were like he changed it. i haven't seen him in a few months so idk. but yes do not bolt it to the floor or seat.

why would you get harness bars for looks?

it doesn't leave much room but its been done plenty.

the harness bar goes bout quarter of the way up the back pillar. and has two bars going down to behind the seats.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by rice_on_fire
, might look for some recaros farther down the road.

Well If you claim to be a crazy driver then there wont be a "farther down the road" for you my friend. You need to do somethig asap before you kill your self.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Do not run harnesses without a proper roll bar - period.

3 point safety belts (stock equipment) are designed to allow your upper body/head to be pushed down and out of the way in the event of a roll over. Strapping yourself into some mad tiiite "racing harnesses" without a roll bar will make YOUR HEAD become the roll bar.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im well aware of that. thats why the i hope was after were like he changed it. i haven't seen him in a few months so idk. but yes do not bolt it to the floor or seat.

why would you get harness bars for looks?

it doesn't leave much room but its been done plenty.

the harness bar goes bout quarter of the way up the back pillar. and has two bars going down to behind the seats.
Don't bolt any part of it to the floor? Where are you suppose to bolt the bottom straps too then?

Right thanks for the info. Will it take away what little amount of room I have in that car? Cos it's my daily, so I want it to be safe but not compromise comfort

and I'm kidding I'm not a bad driver, it's just I'm cruising In a tincan rocketship without airbags. So it's either ejection seats or racin belts
Old 05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
Do not run harnesses without a proper roll bar - period.

3 point safety belts (stock equipment) are designed to allow your upper body/head to be pushed down and out of the way in the event of a roll over. Strapping yourself into some mad tiiite "racing harnesses" without a roll bar will make YOUR HEAD become the roll bar.
Ok, so what you're saying is leave the stock seatblts and pray that I don't kiss my steeringwheel if I crash?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 AM
Former Moderator

Ok, so what you're saying is leave the stock seatbelts and pray that I don't kiss my steeringwheel if I crash?
The stock seatbelts and tensioners are not designed to let your face absorb the energy against your steering wheel.

If you need to convince yourself that the harnesses are "for safety" then at least actually make then safe by installing a proper roll bar (not just some cheapo bolt in bar) so that they function as designed.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to a roll cage. they go more then just on top you know. none of it goes to the floor none. use your brain. your trying to hold in 160 lbs by a screw in some thin sheet metal. in a face to steering wheel accident they'll come right out.

i own a del sol i know you don't have space. if you wanted space and bigger hassle of seats you shouldn't have gotten a sol. stick with your normal belts since you refuse to do what needs to be done for it to work.

if your hitting anything so fast your face will come into contact with your steering wheel it'll be the least of your worries.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Former Moderator

I know people want to do cosmetic mods that they are convinced also double as "race" mods, but "racing" harnesses are just not one of them. Most of the "racing" harnesses people install are not even meeting any sanctioning body's requirements for safety, so what it comes down to is:

Is someone willing to literally risk his life just to make the car LOOK more racey?

Unfortunately the answer is often times "YES!"

Anyone "in the know" can spot harnesses with no roll bar/cage, or even a cheapo bolt-in cage with non sanctioned "racing" harnesses from Ebay. The car and its owner immediately go from "that's pretty nice" to "what a complete moron!"
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the "racing" harnesses people install are not even meeting any sanctioning body's requirements for safety
Same goes for their ubber cool "racing seats" they got for 300$ a pair.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I've decided on the roll cage. A legit rollcage. Does anyone know the average price of these? And how what I would sacrifice from putting this up?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know people want to do cosmetic mods that they are convinced also double as "race" mods, but "racing" harnesses are just not one of them. Most of the "racing" harnesses people install are not even meeting any sanctioning body's requirements for safety, so what it comes down to is:

Is someone willing to literally risk his life just to make the car LOOK more racey?

Unfortunately the answer is often times "YES!"

Anyone "in the know" can spot harnesses with no roll bar/cage, or even a cheapo bolt-in cage with non sanctioned "racing" harnesses from Ebay. The car and its owner immediately go from "that's pretty nice" to "what a complete moron!"
The stock seatbelts and tensioners are not designed to let your face absorb the energy against your steering wheel.

If you need to convince yourself that the harnesses are "for safety" then at least actually make then safe by installing a proper roll bar (not just some cheapo bolt in bar) so that they function as designed.
I hope you're not trying to say that bolt in roll cages do nothing to protect you because I'd hate to bring up how Sparco, OMP, Safety 21 and Saito Rollbar (i'm leaving out a lot more) are FIA, D1 and JAF approved. Considering FIA has stricter standards than anything required in the US, that says a lot....

I also don't want to bring up how my friend's "cheap-o" Safety 21 7 point saved his life after a lady ran a red light and t boned him.

Here's a Safety 21 rollcage

Here's a Cusco chromoly rollcage made by Safety 21

Autopower 4 point

This dude must have hit hard

Man, look at all these cheap rollcages holding up to the task.

Here's a welded in cage from Porsche that looks like it snapped

OMG, Peter Solberg must have been using a Cusco cage

Seems like all the pictures I've found (all of 2) of bolt in cages failing were due to the cage going through the floor pan caused by improper installation

Here's another car with an Autopower 4 point that went through the floor pan due to improper installation

With all this said, what you can take from this post is that any cage no matter how properly constructed/ expensive can fail given the conditions and installation.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man...those pictures aint no joke! roll cages are are great for safety and i do agree on correct installation. if its used for just looks... i really dont want to say what's on my mind. life is worth more than looking raced out and cheap thrills. you only live once so do it right. sfety21 is one damn good cage i should say. worth every cent but yea like you said, "installation" props on the research man
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I've decided on the roll cage. A legit rollcage. Does anyone know the average price of these? And how what I would sacrifice from putting this up?
Roll cage in a DD? You gonna wear your helmet to and from work? You also going to wear it for a quick drive to the corner store? Are you also going to provide a helmet to your passenger?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just cuz you have a cage means you need a helmet?

also if your not an idiot get harness bars custom made so they are welded AND bolted in. not just cheap i wanna look race cool.

why not? 400hp in a DD civic sounds pretty ridiculous when you think it should only be like 140.

id say at least 500 and up. giving up...it'll be weird with the roof off and a little bit of space thats about it. and some inner panels that'll get cut.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also if your not an idiot get harness bars custom made so they are welded AND bolted in. not just cheap i wanna look race cool.

why not? 400hp in a DD civic sounds pretty ridiculous when you think it should only be like 140.

id say at least 500 and up. giving up...it'll be weird with the roof off and a little bit of space thats about it. and some inner panels that'll get cut.
Ya i'm pretty sure a helmet isn't required.
Ya I understand about the harness bar, trust me I'm not going for the race look, I'm goin for mainly safety on this one. Plus I'm in a DEL SOL, this things right down there with smartcars.

Okay man thanks for ur help I appreciate it!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd rather smash my face on a steering wheel, than smash my skull against a roll cage.
I guess it's personal preference.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
I'd rather smash my face on a steering wheel, than smash my skull against a roll cage.
I guess it's personal preference.
I'm pretty sure the cage isn't going to be near my face... I've never seen any that were...

Quick Reply: Racing Harness question!!!