Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick Suspension Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Suspension Help!

After the installation of my KYB AGX and H&R Sport springs one wheel sits higher than the rest. In the front there is about a 2 finger gap on both of them. But on the rear, the one on the driver's side is 2 finger and the one on the passenger side is a little over 3 fingers. I know I installed everything correctly. I've doubled and tripled checked and I can't find the problem. Anybody have any ideas? Also, which one on the rear would be the correct one? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick Suspension Help! (EJ1)

Old 01-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you driven it around yet? that rear spring might not have settled into its "hat" yet.

Oh and silly thing to check, make sure the bottom of the spring is seated onto the strut properly. If its off it'll jack it up and/or tilt the spring some.

[Modified by splitime, 3:19 AM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick Suspension Help! (splitime)

Have you driven it around yet? that rear spring might not have settled into its "hat" yet.

Oh and silly thing to check, make sure the bottom of the spring is seated onto the strut properly. If its off it'll jack it up and/or tilt the spring some.

[Modified by splitime, 3:19 AM 1/3/2003]
Yes I've driven it around. It's been about 2 weeks since installation so I figure that is enough time to settle.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hum, then i'm out of ideas. Done the suspension bit myself, havent run into that much of a difference though. Gluck.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:56 PM

maybe your just a little heavy....(not making fun of you!!)

Was your car always like that even right after you did your suspension???

Also, maybe one tire is low on pressure???

Just throwing out some ideas!!!

Good Luck!!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick Suspension Help! (degooser)

maybe your just a little heavy....(not making fun of you!!)

Was your car always like that even right after you did your suspension???

Also, maybe one tire is low on pressure???

Just throwing out some ideas!!!

Good Luck!!
I weigh about 135 so I don't think that's the problem. All of the tires are set at the correct pressure. I actually noticed it right after I did the installation of everything but I thought after time to settle it would sort of adjust itself.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:17 PM

I have kyb agx / prokit combo and i also have the same problem. All my wheels is 2 finger gap but my right rear is 3 fingers. I got it installed at a shop and didn't notice until way later on. By then, i lost my receipt so it was tough luck for me.
Someone told me that sometimes not cutting the bump stop enough. What i basically did for now is put some extra weights on that corner and it evened out pretty evenly. I think i'm going to get coilovers.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick Suspension Help! (hancho)

I have kyb agx / prokit combo and i also have the same problem. All my wheels is 2 finger gap but my right rear is 3 fingers. I got it installed at a shop and didn't notice until way later on. By then, i lost my receipt so it was tough luck for me.
Someone told me that sometimes not cutting the bump stop enough. What i basically did for now is put some extra weights on that corner and it evened out pretty evenly. I think i'm going to get coilovers.
Hmmm... I didn't cut any of the bumpstops when I installed mine.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:45 PM

dont cut the bumpstops, they will save youre shocks from certain self-destruction if you bottem them out... and it will do nothing to help ride height. before i had my coilovers my right rear was alittle higher too, w/ factory shocks and nuespeed sports, i think it is just b/c the weight is resting on the driverside most of the time b/c the weight of the driver (i only weigh 145 so its not like im really weighing the car down either), my passenger side front was slightly higher than the driverside too. i have 2 suggestions though.

1. put your car up on ramps so the suspension is set, then loosen all the bolts in the contol arms SLIGHTLY (i will not be responsible if your car falls on your head ) then back off the ramps and drive back on them. then re-torque the bolts while the car is under load. some shops torque suspension bolts while the car is still on the lift, which will cause your bushings to bind (badly). do this for the front and the rear.

2. if you have strut tower bars that are not 1 piece(spoon, skunk, dc... ), then when you jack one corner of the car up, they can twist and lock the twisting in place essentailly leaving your whole body twisted. if youre going to retorque the bolts as in my first suggestion, take off the strut bars first. then after everything is retorqued drive around for a day without the strut bars on... then reinstall the strut bars, and retighten the joints in it.

......then you will be sure it is from the weight of the driver good luck