Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quick question: how many gallons of fuel can the EG si Hold? (acetone related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question: how many gallons of fuel can the EG si Hold? (acetone related)

After many sucessful acetone users ive decided to use acetone for improved fuel milage.

Here is the link for everyone that is interestead.

http://www.pureenergysystems.c...etone/

No it will not burn yur fuel lines,
Yes it is 100% safe to use provided you use the correct amount.

Now my question:

I have an eg hatch si 1.6 litre non vtec ZC engine (d16a8 i think its called black rocker cover).

Anyone know the capacity of fuel it holds. Im supposed to use 3 ounces of fuel to about 40 gallons. Not sure exactly how much fuel in gallons it holds tho.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick question: how many gallons of fuel can the EG si Hold? (timmya)

Most civics have 12 gallon tanks I believe, though I am not 100%
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mixing cheap and expensive organic compounds for better gas mileage, eh?

Smart though even though they say it's 100% safe I say overtime it's going to assfuck ur engine
Old 05-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

im not sure exact numbers but i think its 11. something in a si and i think a dx maybe. then i think the cx and vx has a 9. something gas tank. any way I know there are 2 different tanks for hatches.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Fill up based on how much gas you put in the tank when you fill up. It's simple, I'd like to know your results, on the website in my signature many people have tested it and not a single one has had the results touted on the PES site.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SVOboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SVOboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fill up based on how much gas you put in the tank when you fill up. It's simple, I'd like to know your results, on the website in my signature many people have tested it and not a single one has had the results touted on the PES site.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did any even notice a performance increase? I mean if it does half of what it says, which is make the gas easier to explode thus you explode all the gas, then it would be interesting to know it.

I am deffinately going to look for more info on this, anyone have any input on this?

Would be appreciated since where i live gas is about 3.25$ a gallon.. I remember when i filled my civic with 15$, now its like 30$, back when i filled it for 15$ i laughed at my friend who had an SUV and had to spend 45$, now im almost spending that much to fill my civic

pz
Old 05-09-2006, 03:42 AM

i filled up tonight it holds about 39 litres. Im gonna try about 2.5 ounces. Ill let you know.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (timmya)

12 gallons.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scuzz)

doesn't it depend on the model/year. Like a 10 gal aluminum on a vx/cx and like a 11.5 steel on a dx/si...?

i'm sure my numbers are off but, I don't think they're the same throughout

Edit- Posted in the FAQ at the top of the forum:

"CX and VX has a 10 gallon tank, while the DX and Si have the 11.9 gallon tank. Keep in mind these specs are striaght from Honda, so regardless how much gas you've squeezed in your CX, VX, DX, or Si it dosn't matter. Honda probably only measures TANK volume, not the filler and what's already in the fuel lines, etc.

So you also see that the DX is 84lbs. more than the CX/VX. Why would this be? Here's what I came up with:

Bigger fuel tank - tank is steel, so bigger = heavier"

Modified by mwieczorek43 at 10:30 AM 5/9/2006
Old 05-09-2006, 07:32 AM

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

uh no. dx came with powersteering and ac depending on model. and all DX's came with extra sound dampening material vs the VX and CX

i onno bout that acetone stuff. theorectically it helps by cleaning your combustion chamber, thats all. you already have that detergent in most good gasses.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jxmac2o6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jxmac2o6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh no. dx came with powersteering and ac depending on model. and all DX's came with extra sound dampening material vs the VX and CX</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this in-response to my gas-tank post? ^^^^^^^
If you are trying to correct me on weights.... maybe you should re-read my post, I'm not posting regarding weight differences... we're talking tank-sizes.

Then read the entire thread stickied in the FAQ section and realize they name damn-near every difference regarding civic years/models... including your generalization about ac/power-steering (which is a crappy generalization, b/c my dx has neither ac nor power-steering).
Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (timmya)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by timmya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i filled up tonight it holds about 39 litres. Im gonna try about 2.5 ounces. Ill let you know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any results?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick question: how many gallons of fuel can the EG si Hold? (timmya)

11.9 gallons according to my Helms. I thought that a recent episode of Mythbusters proved that adding acetone to gasoline didn't improve the gas mileage?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 PM

Mybusters evidently used the wrong concentration. It's still up in the air. I've seen plenty of people supporting it but my own tests prove inconclusive.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Not even worth the hassle, even if you got a few more MPG. I'm not riding around with a can of acetone in my car in the summer.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:46 PM

Who said you had to leave it in your car?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:54 PM

So one should drive home to put in the magic genie everytime they need gas?

So in theory the acetone levels in the tank would be higher while one drives to the gas station.

Again not worth the hassle or the trouble.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:25 PM

It's not to hard to come home and put some in, geez. Do you buckle your set belt or turn the wipers on when it rains? According to the claims it increases mileage 20% or so, a 5 bucks a tank isn't worth a minute of your time?

Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesn't it depend on the model/year. Like a 10 gal aluminum on a vx/cx and like a 11.5 steel on a dx/si...?

Modified by mwieczorek43 at 10:30 AM 5/9/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but he asked about an Si...
Old 05-12-2006, 05:13 PM

I just don't think its worth the time. I live 3 miles from the nearest gas station.
One would think if acetone worked it would be sold off the shelf at an automotive parts store
as a MPG booster. It as far as I'm concerned another/ " Its true because its on the internet"

Not to also mention what acetone might do to paint in the sun on a hot day if spilled.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:17 PM

Personally, I don't think it does anything at all. But to dismiss it without trying seems annoying, because you never do know.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While looking for the link to that Mythbusters episode, I came across some more thoughts and some warnings about adding in acetone on this page: http://digg.com/mods/Acetone_I...leage
Old 05-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (packthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just don't think its worth the time. I live 3 miles from the nearest gas station.
One would think if acetone worked it would be sold off the shelf at an automotive parts store
as a MPG booster. It as far as I'm concerned another/ " Its true because its on the internet"

Not to also mention what acetone might do to paint in the sun on a hot day if spilled.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know, alot of things that we know to be fact now were once looked upon in just the way you said. It's to new an idea to say, oh its BS, IF, it can do what this person is saying, then it is worth a look into. Notice i didnt say i believed or disbelieved it. I asked if there were results yet. Because based on what is stated about it, it could very well be possible that it works. seeing as no scientific or independant agency has taken it on to prove it one way or another, the only way to find out is thru people trying it, and reporting the result. I havent heard one person here say it DOES work, i see ONE person trying it, and alot of us waiting to hear the results. As for it being in off the shelf mileage boosters, i was meaning to look myself after reading this a few days ago but i have forgoten to when i was at the gas station or auto parts store. In the past I have read the ingredients, and i do think i remember seeing either acetone directly, or something that i know to be very close in chemical composition to acetone. So rather than being a naysayer, why dont you support research into it. Even be it by everyday people here at hondatech.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

scew doign it at home, do it right there at the pump, go to a full service pump station too, and wait there impatiently for him to finish, then as soon as he removes hte nozzel, stick the funnel in there and start dumping acetone in there...boy you'll get some really interesting looks for that...

oh yeah, and it's not worth it, lmao

Old 05-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick question: how many gallons of fuel can the EG si Hold? (EH339)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH339 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While looking for the link to that Mythbusters episode, I came across some more thoughts and some warnings about adding in acetone on this page: http://digg.com/mods/Acetone_I...leage</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, this link is just a bunch of ppl guessing. Some of them sound smart or educated, but are stating facts i know to be inaccurate. As an example, one person states gas is gas. That there is no difference between 87 octane and 93 octane. Higher octane creates a more stable combustion, thus causing a cleaner more predictable/consistant burn and thus reduces or eliminates knock (detonation) in a car, very improtant in cars with advanced timing where a predictable, steady combustion is important.

Another states that gas cant raise your HP, obviously this person has never run a gallon of Aviation Fuel thru their car, or they would beyond a shadow of a doubt know that to be false

As far as acetone eating plastics, YES it does (so does gas for that matter), but we arent talking about putting it in straight into the tank. We are talking about 3oz into 10 gallons. Did you also know that bleach eats colors out of clothes, but in the proper mixture with water won't fade them, just clean them just like any other detergent. Did you also know that stricknine, a poison, administered in a very very small dose has been proven to increase memory in humans. The article isnt talking about straight acetone, its talking about a mix of it.

I personally dont know enough about the chemical composition of the two materials in question, what is being claimed, has the possibility of being legitimate. When a chemical is mixed with another it can cause changes to the entire molecular structure of the other chemical, thus changing its properties. I think personally, this acetone thing is viable, and without independant testing, either by people like the author of this thread, or a company with intrests in proving or disproving it. That someone like the author should be supported in trying it, i mean he is taking the time, to data log it, put his car at possible risk, just so he can one, save on gas, and two, pass on the results to us here, that it does or doesnt work, while we sit here with our cars safe, not potentially wasting our time, or money. I think he should be given alot of respect for his decision, and encouraged to share his information with us.

As far as getting it on your paint, god i would hope you would be careful enough not to, but does that keep you from putting brake fluid in your car? because that eats paint too...

Enough of my ranting..

Pz Defile