Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quick question about valve breather tube.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick question about valve breather tube.

i want to know what is that tube from the valve cover do.(the one that would have a rubber tube connect from the valve tube to intake tube)
is it bad to not have anything on it? effect anything?.

thanks.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quick question about valve breather tube. (lv6l)

it should be connected, it removes harmful vapors from the valve cover and directs them back into the engine to be burned
Old 01-14-2006, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Quick question about valve breather tube. (lv6l)

It removes the harmful vapors and sends them through the engine again to be burnt. It is to keep pollution down, but causes carbon build-up in your throttlebody, intake manifold, and under the valve cover which decreases performance. A lot of people just put a little filter on the outlet, but this doesn't really do much because the vapors don't get sucked out like they would when the hose is connected to the intake. The best way is to route it through a catch can which lets the air pass but keeps all of the junk that passes by.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quick question about valve breather tube. (transpar_nt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by transpar_nt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It removes the harmful vapors and sends them through the engine again to be burnt. It is to keep pollution down, but causes carbon build-up in your throttlebody, intake manifold, and under the valve cover which decreases performance. A lot of people just put a little filter on the outlet, but this doesn't really do much because the vapors don't get sucked out like they would when the hose is connected to the intake. The best way is to route it through a catch can which lets the air pass but keeps all of the junk that passes by.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you intake/fuel system is working correctly it really shouldn't cause any noticable performance loss. A lot of people remove it for a) fad, or b) somethign else is wrong with their car (idle and what not) and removing it seems to have help, kinda of a band-aid solution. It shouldn't really dirty your TB much more...again if everything is working right.

There are downsides. These vapour will hurt the environment (the more you hurt it the tougher emission laws are going to get). Also it is illegal (don't know how many people have been caught if anyone. And lastly these these fumes are going to be in your engine bay, some people have complained when they turn on their heat it sucks them up and their cabin sticks of oil fumes and makes them sick.

If I were you I would leave it on unless you have a good reason to take it off. Honda designed it to be there and lots of every day people drive to work every morning with it hooked up without any problems.

On a side note, it is one of the reasons that it is very bad to overfill you car with oil. I once really over filled my car with oil (don't ask why, long story) and it actually fed raw oil right into my engine.

Cheers.