Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

quick help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick help

im putting springs on my car, and well the front went on no problem got to the back and tried removing the lower shock bolts and rounded both off with a 3 foot cheater bar. so got a bolt extractor, and put that on with the bar again, completely rounded off both bolts even further and destroyed the craftsman bolt extractor.

so got pissed and ended up ordering new shocks (was just gonna use the stock shocks for the time being till i could save up and get a decent set of coilovers) so i got the grinder out and just cut the shocks off. well i cut the back side of the shock fork off and hammerd it forward and popped the bolt out and cut the bolt sticking out. but the bolt is still stuck hard into the bushing and wont come out.

can i get 2 new bushings and replace them on the car or do i have to pull the whole lower control arm and have them pushed in?

part in question is #13
Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Re: quick help (Frickr)

all i got at my house is a propane torch, i was thinking about getting some map gas, would that get the bolt hot enough to loosen it up so i can hammer it out, or am i f*ed with the bushing and go order a new one tomorrow. yes i searched couldnt find a thing about that bushing...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:18 PM

bump
Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 AM

morning bump
Old 08-23-2008, 11:10 AM

how do i pop that bushing out
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I tell doctors what to do

That bolt will never come out of that bushing. Even more bad news is that the inner ones are probably seized too which means removing that arm is going to be a bitch.

Easy way:
Order new ES shock mount bushings for the rear because they don't have a metal sleeve and can be pressed in to those arms while the arms are on the car. Burn out the rubber on the old bushings and get that inner sleeve out of the way. Then if you take a sawzall and cut a slit in to the outer bushing sleeve it will loosen up the sleeve enough to chisel it out with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. Be careful not to cut in to the actual control arm when you are cutting the sleeve. After the old bushing is gone put the ES bushing in the arm, at most it will take a c clamp to pull both sides together.

Hard way: Remove entire control arm and replace with new control arm or have new bushings pressed in at machine shop.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time list the problem in the thread title instead of "quick help" then maybe people will bother to read the thread.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

alright looked up the es bushings, and all i found were for a 95 civic on their webpage. are they the same diamiter as the 00 bushings? if so they will work perfect cuz the replacement shocks i found were off an integra.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Default Re: (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright looked up the es bushings, and all i found were for a 95 civic on their webpage. are they the same diamiter as the 00 bushings? if so they will work perfect cuz the replacement shocks i found were off an integra.</TD></TR></TABLE>I don't know. Is the arm they same style on that car as it is on older cars? I assume it is but I don't know if the bushing is the same size.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright looked up the es bushings, and all i found were for a 95 civic on their webpage. are they the same diamiter as the 00 bushings? if so they will work perfect cuz the replacement shocks i found were off an integra.</TD></TR></TABLE>Bag that Idea. You can get those bushings for you car in the whole rear control arm kit which is like $130 and the bushings come with metal outer sleeves. I don't know if you'll be able to get them in with the arm still on the car.

Sorry my experience is with the older cars and I thought yours was the same, but apparently not, unless someone else wants to chime in.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:10 PM

Default Re: (ILcrxsi1)

i beat the hell out of that with a punch trying to get those off, tried heating it with a torch, so i just ended up melting the rubber and cutting the bushings out. BITCH!

i dont know how those are gonna go back in.... Soi might be screwed unless if i take those rear control arms off and get it pressed in?