Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it..

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 04:08 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it..

first off, i totaled my civic coupe easter sunday.. i was speeding on a back road stretch and lost control of the car and the rear end came out on me. i hit the guard rail 3 times, and then stopped.. me and my friend mike both went to the ER and we are fine, thank god for that..

now i have a lot of aftermarket parts on my car, what is the insurance company going to say about them? im hoping they will cover parts like the wheels, intake, headlights, exhaust and little parts that are expensive if i show them a receipt for all the stuff.. i have progressive so if anyone has similar experiance with them please let me know.. im pulling the motor before they take the car and putting the stock d16 back into it..
Old 04-21-2003, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (Hybrid95CivicEX)

Unless you declared the parts, and paid an extra premium for them, they wont cover them.

so... they will give you blue book for the car. Or a little less.. Progressive are a bunch of scammers....

(well, all insurance companies are)
Old 04-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (mattjohnston)

If you didn't take an extra ins policy out on those parts then strip your car yourself and let them give you what fair market value is for the car.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:46 AM

as long as you have reciepts you are fine, i have progressive i know
Old 04-21-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cream)

If you don't take extra ins out then if something happens progressive only covers up to a 1000 extra over the value of the car (I have progressive and I got burned once like this).
Old 04-21-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (Hybrid95CivicEX)

I had progressive 1 1/2 years ago when I totaled my 2000 Celica. I had wheels, exhaust, springs and a few other things on it that got totally trashed when i flipped it on rt.337 in Brandywine, MD. Progressive was only going to give me $1000 over blue book for the parts. However, I keep complaining that I'm getting screwed and eventually we compromised and I was able to get a little more money back.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (TrboInteg)

im pulling the motor and all the audio parts.. i want them to cover the
intake
exhaust
wheels and tires
possibly the skunk2 coilovers and illumina shocks (1 week old)
angel eye headlights and bulbs, jdm corners, and si tail lights

i know im not gonna get all the money back cause my s2k seats were detroyed, along w/ my cd changer and xbox, i dont know if the alpine cva1005 is good cause the battery flew out of the car and i cant turn it on.. my delphi skyfi xm flew out of the car also..

anyhting they dont cover im taking off the car before he gets the title in his hands..

that was my baby.. lost of time and money put into here.. this is right after i dropped the new motor in and put the wheels on..
Old 04-21-2003, 08:33 AM

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (mattjohnston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattjohnston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you declared the parts, and paid an extra premium for them, they wont cover them.

so... they will give you blue book for the car. Or a little less.. Progressive are a bunch of scammers....

(well, all insurance companies are)</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah not true. all states are different but in maryland we cant even add cov for aftermarket parts. the only thing we can add additional cov on is the stereo. what you can do is summit all the receipts that you have and they will give you something not what you paid but fair market value, if its totaled. but if you need that part replaced they will only fix the stock part. so you might be better off parting out your car and sell your parts yourself.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope you have a reciept!
or you are fucked
Old 04-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (greebler)

state to state it changes. i hope they give you something for it. blue book on a 95 civic is like 3800-4300 at best
good luck
Old 04-21-2003, 12:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss man, good to see you're okay tho. Well I am in Maryland aswell, so let me know how the insurance handles all this, BTW i called my insurance company and they said they would ONLY cover stereo stuff, n i hav MAIF lol . . GOODLUCK wid everything !
Old 04-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (cccya)

he priced the car at as a 95 civic ex w/ 47k mikes on it.. i have my b18c1 swap and a gsr cluster installed w/ the correct milage of the motor.. so im getting atleast 6k for the car its self plus most of the aftermarket parts will be covered he said i will see probably 9k after its all said in done and it will cover everything.. on top of that i get to keep the car cause its soo salvaged there is no buy back on it, its mine totaled, i take care of getting rid of it.. ill post pics later i jsut go the digicam..
Old 04-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad your ok..so watcha gonna do ..rebuild or sell the parts..
Old 04-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (vTeC4LiFe)

when i wrecked my first hatch i only had a b18b and teg seats in it and so i opted to buy the car back for only 300 got my motor back my seats and parts car. now there are like 6 cars in my town with parts from it. and some in other towns having a parts car is awesome. and the 300 was taken out of what they were gonna give me for my car.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: kapalua,los angeles,las vegas, HI,CA,NV, United States
Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (ptran13)

well heres what ive experienced...i live in cali. i have farmers insurance(****** expensive)..i bought my first car. milano red Si 00'...got stolen in 7 days..found it.. then gave me 18 grand back...ok...now i have a silver ej8..car got broken into in oct of 2002..stolen stereo, brand new header purchased the day before, broken trunk latch..bypassed alarm and stolen tools...according to my insurance adjuster, he specifically told me that ANYTHING that is a COMPLETE REPLACEMENT (i.e. hood, rims, stereo, etc.) is covered by FARMERS INSURANCE...i hope that this applies to you and your insurance company..keep us updated..good luck
Old 04-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (vTeC4LiFe)

cant rebuild, or sell any parts, nothing is salvagable.. i have a 94 Si hatch im gonna build up now..

im lucky as **** to be alive..
Old 04-22-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like it. No soreness @ least.....
Old 04-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (Apex i ITR)

Can that motor be taken out? From the pictures I can't tell if it is ok or not...but hopefully it is. You are lucky as **** to have walked away in 1 piece...I hope everything turns out good in your situation.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:33 AM
Trial User

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (b16a ferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16a ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can that motor be taken out? From the pictures I can't tell if it is ok or not...but hopefully it is. You are lucky as **** to have walked away in 1 piece...I hope everything turns out good in your situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i think ill be able to salvage the motor.. from what i can see i will need a new vavle cover, cam gears, oil pan, and header.. im pretty sure the motor cut off at the time of the accident cause that cam gear is smashed, im hoping it didnt mess w/ the timing at all.. only way to tell is to rebuild.. if its a lose as well, insurance company covered it with the cost of the car, so ill look for a new head and bottom end probably cause the tranny was or still is fine..
Old 04-22-2003, 02:52 PM

that's a car?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Trial User

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (scdarksol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scdarksol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that's a car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that was my baby.. i was almost done with it to the point where it was gonna be painted and get some body work this summer.. its a tragedy..
Old 04-22-2003, 03:59 PM

just wanna know where u got those tails?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:13 PM

ahhh helll man you wrecked your car on 4/20 .....sooo fuggin sorry to hear.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:34 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (HighLife)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HighLife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ahhh helll man you wrecked your car on 4/20 .....sooo fuggin sorry to hear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Highlife, i dont smoke so 4/20 is just another day on the calender for me.. thanks tho

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugensport9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just wanna know where u got those tails?</TD></TR></TABLE>

bought them off my roommate when he totaled his coupe a year ago.. you can get them off ebay or autodynamic.com (sp) i think..
Old 04-23-2003, 07:23 AM

Default Re: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it.. (mugensport9)

eBay is probably the cheapest place to find them

Quick Reply: questions w/ totaled civics and how insurance handles it..