Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley?

Has anyone here used or installed the N1 crank pulley? I'm thinking about buying it, I hope it makes a difference. And yes I have no p/s and no a/c. <-- just incase anyone was going to comment about you can only use it if you take those off
Old 04-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (todaspecsi)

good mod, expect to pick up a couple ponies throughout the entire power band
Old 04-19-2004, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (R you serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R you serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good mod, expect to pick up a couple ponies throughout the entire power band </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome! I'll definately order it then. From icbmotorsport.com it's only like $80 shipped. I just got to wait because I work at Safeway, and they might strike No mods until then because I'm about to be broke!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get it, I love mine, combine it with a light weight flywheel.....
Old 04-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just checking...

You realize these seriously kill your motor? If you don't mind replacing your motor every year then go for it. They really do work.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also want to check out the Specials section of Unorthodox Racing's site. They have a few DOHC crank pulleys available for ~$90. A bit lighter than the CTR piece, and in all likelihood machined to tighter tolerances.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (turboman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just checking...

You realize these seriously kill your motor? If you don't mind replacing your motor every year then go for it. They really do work.</TD></TR></TABLE>
they are oem....
Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just checking...

You realize these seriously kill your motor? If you don't mind replacing your motor every year then go for it. They really do work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A search will reveal many, many threads debating this topic, and not a single one of them has ever reached a sufficient conclusion. It's a bit misleading to just tell people, "these seriously kill your motor". The best suggestion for anyone considering one of these pulleys is to do the research and form his/her own opinion before buying.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:46 PM

How does it ruin your motor? I would think it'd help it by putting less resistance on the crank so it doesn't have to work as hard. ... you got me scared now.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Darth ModerVader

As I said, if you're concerned about it, you should do a search and read over all of the discussions.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As I said, if you're concerned about it, you should do a search and read over all of the discussions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, I read a thread with much debate about it and have decided not to risk it. It's a hobby, nothing big where I have money to rebuild a block if something drastically goes wrong.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R you serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
they are oem....</TD></TR></TABLE>

but they are also made for N1 spec race cars whos engines get torn dowm much more frequently then street cars. Search for "harmonic balancer" and do some reading.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by todaspecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thank you, I read a thread with much debate about it and have decided not to risk it. It's a hobby, nothing big where I have money to rebuild a block if something drastically goes wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The OEM Type R pulley is not going to mess your motor up. I have had it on my car for years, show me one person that has killed there motor from an OEM type r crank pulley with Prof it was the pulleys fault? I wouldn't run after-market crank pulleys on a street motor such as aem or unorthodox, str for the fact that they are not balanced. If you have full race motor then who cares get unorthodox pulley, motor going to die for other reason's before the crank pulley gives it problems. If you think a crank pulley is going to kill your motor then you shouldn't put any performance parts on your motor at all since its going to shorting the life of your motor
Old 04-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (Two_K Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Two_K Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but they are also made for N1 spec race cars </TD></TR></TABLE>
actually they are made for honda civic type r's which sold thousands and came with warantys.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R you serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
actually they are made for honda civic type r's which sold thousands and came with warantys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you are saying that civic type r's in japan come stock with the n1 pulley?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually they are made for honda civic type r's which sold thousands and came with warantys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

then why run ctr cams or itr im's? for all that reason why even swap out your sohc for a dohc? lol not to be a dick but If your going to post negative remarks don't waist your time unless you can prove actual facts leading to the fault of the crank pulley!!! or dont post at all, there are tons of these post like i said prove me wrong.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:06 AM

The CTR pulley does not have a harmonic balancer on it!! If you would like to retain the factory harmonic balancer, look into having you stock one machined to just run the alt.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (Two_K Si)

They didn't come on ever CTR sold but they did come on the Honda factory CTR that was made to see more track usuage (Like Club racing).

I ran it on my motor fine for a long time. There has been debate about this regarding aftermarket pulleys.

An OEM CTR N1 Crank is not going to mess your motor up......PERIOD.

If you have no experience with something.....you should seriously put a disclaimer on your posts as opinion and not fact so you don't mislead people.

If you've had a motor ruined by a CTR crank pulley then please post up. ....... And please leave your friends cousin's brother's dog's distant 3rd cousin removed out of it.

If I were the person asking I would take someone's opinion based on fact's (meaning something they have had direct experience with) then someone's based on heresay. That's just me.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (Apex i ITR)

wow there is a lot of sides to this. Maybe I will get it.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Can anyone tell me if a crank pulley from a VTEC Del Sol will mount up on a B18C1 (1998)?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (94 Civic Si)

whenever you change out the crank pully that is not matched to your crank you can throw the harmonics off and cause your main and rod bearings to wear out faster especially on boosted motors.

sure you can throw on a n1 crank pully and probably not have any problems like hurrel and tom did. but it has been seen before after some thousands of miles that when changing out from the crank pully from the one that came on your crank that the bearings did show more substantial wear on them than a motor with a crank that had the matching crank pully or one that had a aftermarket dampner pully.

so the debate still goes on. i wouldnt do it snice im boosted and beainngs will show wear much faster i beleive than NA cars. but if you are NA then you need every but of power you can get so i say do it.

cliff notes :

BOOST = dont do it
NA = you need every bit u can get
Old 04-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (NextelBuddy)

I agree if you are running boost hen spend your money on other thins that will get you more power (like Standalone ECU's and tuning).

Old 04-20-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (Apex i ITR)

Strictly NA!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about the JDM N1 crank pulley? (NextelBuddy)

I plan on throwing one on my NA b16. Besides I think Honda did their homework before they sold a product with their namesake.