Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about clutches, short shifters and turbos on LS swapped EG

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about clutches, short shifters and turbos on LS swapped EG

So I am getting a 93 civic DX hatch with a 99 ls b18b1 engine.
I have a few quick questions.
What is a stage 2 clutch? Does this help me at all?
What is a short throw shifter?
And can I get a turbo for this engine cheapish? I know it can handle a turbo and im not really looking for anything crazy maybe 5psi but i dont have too much money. The car does have a new suspension and the rear bar so that it will be able to handle a turbo without ripping itself apart.

Last edited by 94EG8; 05-11-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Few quick questions...

I know these questions are stupid but everyone starts somewhere.. Im starting by buying an already started project car.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

GO to the top of the page and look at the very first sticky where it says "How to use the Honda-Tech Search engine".
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-use-honda-tech-search-engine-2588951/
Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car does have a new suspension and the rear bar so that it will be able to handle a turbo without ripping itself apart.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about clutches, short shifters and turbos on LS swapped EG

I did try searching but I don't know what 90% of the stuff is called like I think the read sway bar. Either way can someone tell me what the first two things are? Ive Googled and asked friends but I just get told it's better than the stock setup but I wanna know why.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Questions about clutches, short shifters and turbos on LS swapped EG

A stage 2 clutch will be stiffer, and hold more power.

A short throw shifter is just what is says, a short throw shifter.

Not to be a dick, but you have no bussiness turbo'ing anything if you don't know what the first things are.

You NEED to search, no one will sit here and spoon feed you.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone starts somewhere, and it doesn't need to be with a b18b turbo.

Stage X clutch doesn't mean anything until you know the manufacturer. A stage 2 is usually some near-race clutch that is absolute overkill for anything making less than 400whp. A lot of people often go overboard on clutches. I could only justify that if the car is drag raced a lot and needs some overkill to increase the life of the clutch. Stiff clutches suck in a daily driver though.

Short shifters simply shorten the shift throw by increasing the leverage and fulcrum of the shift linkage.

If you don't have much money, don't turbo the car. It can be expensive. Looking at an easy $3,000-$4,000 for a quality setup for someone who knows ziltch about cars like yourself.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, so your new. Here's some answers;
Clutch stages go from 1 - 5 ( i believe). As they rise, the clutches are built more able to handle higher amounts of torque and power sent through your drive train. Unless you do plan on adding a lot of performance parts into your car, there not worth it. But if you are going to turbo your ls, then its worth it. The clutch will grip better.

A short shifter technically doesnt help your car performance wise (maybe your driving?), it just makes your gear table shorter. So when you shift into first, the pocket for first will be say 1.5 inches instead of 3 inches. Hard to explain verbally, try looking it up on youtube.

Finally, yes. They can very in prices, either way, minimum your going to be able to get a turbo kit for is around $600. You can find them on ebay, and yes "ebay turbos" receive a lot of flame, but unless your building a k series, there is no need to spend 2,000 on a name brand turbo/
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Ek Forever y0!

The number assignment is irrelevant. Not every company makes 5-6 clutches, not every company uses the same methodology or organizational method to qualify each clutch for various power loads.

A stage one brand X could be 250whp tops, but stage 1 brand Y could be 400whp tops.

There's nothing systematic about it.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats why i said i wasnt too sure on it. regardless as x increases, gonna be able to handle more power. Highest he is gonna need is one above factory.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you all. And as far as turboing it I wanted slightly more power I wouldn't do it myself.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by GahhItsLee
Thank you all. And as far as turboing it I wanted slightly more power I wouldn't do it myself.
If you want slightly more power get a set of cams.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you I do plan on learning about these cars but i am starting with zero knowledge so its difficult. Do you have a link to some good cams to check out?
I also plan on getting a grs tranny for the increased acceleration.
Originally Posted by ek forever guy
If you want slightly more power get a set of cams.

Also... Can I easily switch the cluster in my car? Which cluster would everyone say is the nicest? I know its opinion but thats what im looking for.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO if you dont know how the normal engine works, i dont think you should be building the engine so much other than stock

reason being is because once you DO know how your engine works, then you'll know what direction you'll take once you start building it
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea maybe your right... I may stick to cosmetic stuff. I can deal with the power it has now.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is better to get a new bushings for the shifter rather than a short throw shifter!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Master Detailer

If the bushings are bad, then yes they will help.

Start with the easy things on the car, that you can learn with, and won't leave the car with major issues if something gets messed up.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well right now I think im gonna get hids as soon as I can find the right housing's and a nicer cluster.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Trial User

I completely agree start simple, Build your Knowledge, Then build your Car... It will save money and time.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by GahhItsLee
Ok well right now I think im gonna get hids as soon as I can find the right housing's and a nicer cluster.
Please don't get HIDs. Not unless you do a retrofit into your OEM housings.

A cheap HID kit and some cool housings will cost you $100-180 probably.

For $300 you could send your headlights to theforumretrofitters and they'll retrofit your headlights with projectors and real HIDs and the light output will be worth every penny.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna get HIDS I saw on here and put them into the normal housings but eventually get the better ones which i cant remember the name for.
Also what year and model has a better cluster i can put into my car easily?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Master Detailer

I've got DDM tuning. They are great, but they aren't horrible.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the price on those I'll take a chance. Thanks. Are they much brighter?

Last edited by GahhItsLee; 05-12-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HID's are definitely brighter but your housings are not made for HID's. You will think they are amazing but other drivers will be the ones suffering. Your reflectors don't really have a cut off so your going to be blinding people which is annoying and also a safety issue.

You are fortunate enough to have a lot of people telling you to do it right the first time. A retrofit with projectors is a bit more expensive but the light output will be much better and you won't be blinding people.

At the very least just get a more powerful non-hid light.
Like:
http://www.ek9.org/forum/interior-ex...w-amazing.html

As far as the rest of the stuff you need to search and read a lot. Don't use the search engine here as its always been very iffy for me...just go to google or yahoo and type in any question or info your looking for. A lot of the times it will bring you right back to HT...because the information is definitely here...just harder to find with the in house search.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Indeed, polish your lenses and get some phillips xtreme.

If you want HIDs do a retrofit.

Quick Reply: Questions about clutches, short shifters and turbos on LS swapped EG