Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

questions about alignment and camber wear??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default questions about alignment and camber wear??

so im looking into getting an alignment soon after i get two new front tires, with about 70% tread in the rears still...my rear tires have slight camber wear and was wondering if i get an alignment with camber wear in the rear tires, will it affect my alignment again when i get future new tires in the rear?? also my axles all have ripped cv joint boots that i want to replace in the future will that also affect my alignment in the front once the new ones are swapped out?? thanks

p.s.
sorry if i posted in the wrong thread and not suspensions thread =p not sure how to move it
Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: questions about alignment and camber wear??

The wear on the tires should have no effect. As far as replacing the CV joints and needing an alignment it is always a good idea after taking apart the front end. I never have bothered to do so unless I have replaced other suspension parts at the same time
Old 03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

camber doesnt hurt your tires nearly as much as toe does. if your thrashing tires its from toe, not camber.

as he said, yeah you should get an alignment if you take the front end apart, but ive never went in for one just for swapping some axles out.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On the 92-00 Civic, the joints you take apart to do axles (lower ball joint) has no adjustment in factory form. When you reassemble it, nothing has really "moved". Don't forget, you can do a very respectable toe check/adjustment on a flat level floor with nothing more than string - stretched from a rear lug nut over the edge of the rear tire, and across the sides of the front tires. It works! If you have a cheap magnetic angle meter you can get a rough idea of camber as well.

If you pay for a four wheel alignment, I never worry about changing tires later - I've heard its better to align it with the new ones in place, but can't say I've lost any sleep over it. I've actually been pretty happy with my string-driven alignment.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How bad is the camber wear?

You shouldn't need to align the car after switching the axle as you really haven't changed anything. You didn't do any suspension work.

Out of the many axle changes I have seen done and done none needed a alignment after.

You should be just fine.