Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question on door handles - EK Sedan/Coupe Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on door handles - EK Sedan/Coupe Hatchback

I've recently been debating on completely painting my car. I'd love to get my mirrors, protectors, side skirts, door handles, and hatch garnish all color matched to VSM. My car is in very good condition for the year, no rust minus a few stone chips. After speaking to some people I believe a good professional buff job (tee hehe) with compound will bring the paint back to life. This brings me to my main question today.

I'm debating on sourcing the parts i need painted and simply replacing them with used OEM parts as some of the quotes for paint I received are fairly high. Will coupe or sedan EX exterior door handles work correctly with my non power locks? Even according to Honda part #s of my CX handle vs an LX handle (both being non-painted) are different. See below.

CX - 72140-S00-004
DX - 72140-S04-003

As of the mirrors, it appears painted EX coupe mirrors will work. I could simply not hook up the power option. However, I plan on buying manual folding VSM EDM mirrors.

I know the protectors from the coupe will not work as the rear section is either too long or too short, so these will need painted unless I also get the EDM ones that are color matched.

I believe this is the same for the hatch garnish as the part #s don't match up from DX coupe to CX hatchback. Again, this will need sourced from an EDM donor car or removed and painted.

Can anyone give any solid answer on the door handles? Also, please feel free to chime in on any other area that can help me here before I go pulling parts.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Question on door handles - EK Sedan/Coupe Hatchback

1. Handles: Same.

2. Your manual mirror internals will fit inside the Coupe power mirrors shell (on a 6G Civic).

3. Side protectors can also come from a CDM Special Edition Hatch ... tough to find though. Check Canadian Honda sites for part-outs.

4. Hatch wing/spoiler (I think this is what you mean by "garnish") is fully painted on a DX. Not so on a CX.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question on door handles - EK Sedan/Coupe Hatchback

Originally Posted by deschlong
1. Handles: Same.

2. Your manual mirror internals will fit inside the Coupe power mirrors shell (on a 6G Civic).

3. Side protectors can also come from a CDM Special Edition Hatch ... tough to find though. Check Canadian Honda sites for part-outs.

4. Hatch wing/spoiler (I think this is what you mean by "garnish") is fully painted on a DX. Not so on a CX.

Thank you for the prompt reply! Any idea why the Honda part #s are different on the handles for power lock vs manual lock? #3, the garnish, will be the part where the license plate bolts up.