Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about stiff engine mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about stiff engine mounts.

I have been looking around here on H-T and Google for other peoples experiances with stiff engine mounts. However I haven't really found an answer to my question. First off, I know that the stiffer the engine mount, the more vibrations that are absorbed through other parts of the car which cause things in the interior to vibrate such as the dash, etc. This makes perfect sense. My question is will it make the under hood noise transfer into the cab more than stock engine mounts? The reason I ask is because I put stiffer engine mounts in my EJ1 when I swapped in my LS. I like the feel of them, shifting seems more precise and the engine just seems more solid(might just be my imagination).

But its LOUD in my car, I have no exhaust leaks and have the silencer in my crappy muffler. The noise I am hearing is not from the rear of the car, its coming from under the hood. My D16Z6 was quiet and you could hear very little noise from under the hood thus just hearing the exhaust more out the back. I don't know what mounts I have, I found them new for pretty cheap and got them. Some insight on this would be great. The engines been loud from the get go as I put the mounts in at the time of the swap, I guess here just the last couple months I have paid more attention to it and it gets on my nerves.

Thanks in advance guys.

Pic of the mounts I am using:

I took this picture from LS ON BOOSTs thread, he used them with his build. If you want these removed let me know man, your pic was the only one I could find with my exact mounts.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about stiff engine mounts.

Anybody have any insight?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stiffer mounts make vibrations from the motor more noticeable, idk abt how loud your talkin though
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u shouldnt get more noise in ur cab unless it is gutted. i run the stiffest mounts i can always but never solid and i daily my cars
Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, werid. Maybe my LS is just noiser then. Its not that big of a deal but just gets annoying. I rode in my Brother's EJ1 the other day, all stock and its quiet like mine use to be before I swapped. My cars not gutted, full dash and interior.

I just found a thread from a muscle car site on google about stiff mounts and read where some people said it made the inside of there cars louder but these are V8s and alot of them had high profile cams in them so I don't know how compariable it is. Guess I will just keep dealing with it.